Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Jun 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Getting organised!

Hi all, I'm back lol. Was feeling too overwhelmed with the Facebook page that I've been putting off getting organised and now I'm too far down and feeling in a horrible situation with no way out.

Help!!!! I need a huge overhall of paperwork, policy's and everything.

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction of a somewhat logical list to get started. Thanks x

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Memina View Post
    Hi all, I'm back lol. Was feeling too overwhelmed with the Facebook page that I've been putting off getting organised and now I'm too far down and feeling in a horrible situation with no way out.

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction of a somewhat logical list to get started. Thanks x
    It can be so overwhelming at times, you are not on your own in feeling like this.

Have you thought about using an online system? If you started it would give you an incentive to start anew which might help. The one I use has policies, LJ, progress, planning, next steps, SEF and more if you just choose one area at a time to look at you would soon be up to date and then momentum of a task I feel comes with satisfaction of completion of smaller broken down tasks.
    Just the headings help you work your way through - but the one I use costs 11.99 a month, well worth it I feel but there are some that cost less or nothing at all.
    The resources section on here also has lots of help.

3. Likes Memina, lollipop kid liked this post
    Simona Guest

Not sure about which FB page you are referring to as many do not access FB...there are a few cms FB pages
    In truth nothing has changed
    The EYFS 2014 is still current and that is your bible
    You will have to tweak a few policies such as SEND and update safeguarding to the current publication

The rest is very much the same...until the framework is reviewed which is due out soon....do what is required and the rest is up to your judgement...too many cms do too much unnecessary paperwork

Look at the Common Inspection Framework...that concentrates on your teaching
    If you access Ofsted power point that tells you how they judge you now

For observations, assessment all remains the same...ongoing obs and a brief assessment of the children's learning in any format you like
    2 year olds Check is the one that needs to be done as before
    You can still use DM or EYO or whatever suits you in child development

Have you seen What to expect when? This is now new...use it with parents...look at the Foundation Yeras website for the new publication

If you do funding there is a new form on the EYPP...how to evidence the money is making an impact on children

That is it more or less it unless others can add anything missing...as Flora Dora says it can be overwhelming but keep to the requirements...I have not added any paperwork so far just updated the ones I have
    Good luck

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome back.

Simona has made a good list, and floradoras idea of starting an online system, so you can start 'afresh' is also a good idea.

If it was me I would make a list and see what needed no or little changes, and slowly work through it. I have just blocked a couple of days and slogged through my list to get up to date. Just got my sef to do and that's the job for next weeks 'day off'.

6. Likes FloraDora, Memina, lollipop kid liked this post
    Simona Guest

I did forget an important bit...or 2 maybe
    British Values which are embedded in PSED... And Preventing radicalisation which would be covered in Safeguarding!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm following this thread, I know the feeling, as things like send and prevent have come out I've not had time to look into it and uodate everything as there's the constant learning journeys and general day to day stuff to try and stay on top of too plus my own 3 year old who takes up any days off from minding I might have!
    I have an hour off Thursday afternoon so my task then will be to make my list using the info below, I find having a list on paper so much easier as then I can do bits in a free 5 minutes and I love crossing things off a list!
    Glad I'm not the only one that feels so far behind I don't know where to start, and thanks to those that are obviously very up to date for the info!

9. Likes Memina liked this post
    Simona Guest

Alex_17

Sorry to ask and you do not have to answer if you do not want to....or maybe someone else can clarify my questions?

You say there are the constant LJs to do...maybe I have the wrong end of the stick but what do you mean by regularly?
    Do you update them every day...or weekly or monthly? ...or maybe every few weeks or so when it is time to do a short summary of learning?
    I assume you observe....do you put all obs in your LJ?

I get the feeling that those who use online LJs seem to go to them every day...is that so?

Flora Dora...you say that by using an online journal it will be like starting anew...is there a reason or do you feel the online systems are better?
    I have my own system and it is also online but having looked at one system In particular I found it very prescriptive and I felt it would have taken me 3 times longer to complete.

Thanks

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I was doing all my obs for the learning journeys on paper so printing off photos and writing the obs and linking to areas of learning, and it took so long getting photos off phone to comp I only used to do it every month to 6 weeks.
    I've recently moved to tapestry and find I can do it much more often, the reason I feel it is constant is I have 6 part time early years children all with me one or two days per week and I think because I don't see them as often I notice them doing new things every week so take a pic and they mount up quickly!
    I agree with starting the online thing, after getting up to date on paper at the end of Nov I signed up to tapestry and have kept up to date with it since starting it, I find it easier as I can do it on my phone eg while I'm lying down while my son falls asleep at night! Don't need to switch computers on!

12. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by alex__17 View Post
    I was doing all my obs for the learning journeys on paper so printing off photos and writing the obs and linking to areas of learning, and it took so long getting photos off phone to comp I only used to do it every month to 6 weeks.
    I've recently moved to tapestry and find I can do it much more often, the reason I feel it is constant is I have 6 part time early years children all with me one or two days per week and I think because I don't see them as often I notice them doing new things every week so take a pic and they mount up quickly!
    I agree with starting the online thing, after getting up to date on paper at the end of Nov I signed up to tapestry and have kept up to date with it since starting it, I find it easier as I can do it on my phone eg while I'm lying down while my son falls asleep at night! Don't need to switch computers on!
    Thank you for your reply...much appreciated.

Jun 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi all, thanks so much for your pointers. I joined an online system and tried to change the LJ from paper to online which is fine it's just finding the time to do it. Again 3 kids of my own (9,6,2.5) so any spare time has been spent doing home work, reading and taking to and from various extra curriculum activities.

I start work at 7.30 and most evening I haven't finished housework, clearing up etc until 9ish by which time I'm only good for bed lol. So yeah I've let it slip somewhat.

When I started childminding our local support personnel gave me a list of policies and risk assessments etc that needed to be done, then a list of things that where recommended but not must dos. But when I've gone back to it it's all out of date because of the registers.

I like the list idea and I can then priorities what needs doing first etc.

But where to start lol? If you where advising a new childminder on what they needed to have in place as a minimum what would you include?

Mine so far is....
    Policies - which ones
    Risk assessments - yearly, monthly, daily
    Registers
    Accident and incident books
    Complaints and compliments
    Learning journals - starting points & trackers.
    Planning - group and individual and next steps.

Thanks again x

Simona Guest

Hi all, thanks so much for your pointers. I joined an online system and tried to change the LJ from paper to online which is fine it's just finding the time to do it. Again 3 kids of my own (9,6,2.5) so any spare time has been spent doing home work, reading and taking to and from various extra curriculum activities.

I start work at 7.30 and most evening I haven't finished housework, clearing up etc until 9ish by which time I'm only good for bed lol. So yeah I've let it slip somewhat.

When I started childminding our local support personnel gave me a list of policies and risk assessments etc that needed to be done, then a list of things that where recommended but not must dos. But when I've gone back to it it's all out of date because of the registers.

I like the list idea and I can then priorities what needs doing first etc.

But where to start lol? If you where advising a new childminder on what they needed to have in place as a minimum what would you include?

Mine so far is....
    Policies - which ones
    Risk assessments - yearly, monthly, daily
    Registers
    Accident and incident books
    Complaints and compliments
    Learning journals - starting points & trackers.
    Planning - group and individual and next steps.

Thanks again x
    If you have a copy of the EYFS start with their Welfare Requirements
    1 L&D
    2 safeguarding and so on and on
    In each section it will mention what policy you need and what else is required

Your policies may need updating but no need to rewrite them all...date them when you have done so

Many cms do online journals...however...those who have their own still do them online by putting them in a Word document which you can email to parents and they email back with comments etc
    Online journals cost money....your own does not but it is your choice entirely

That should keep you going for a while...good luck!
    If you are due an inspection bear in mind the cycle ends 31 July 2016

Jun 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Simona

I'll work through the printout and see how I get on lol. My online LJ are on the pc but not online iykwim. I just print or pdf and send to parents.

My last inspection was January 2011 so not sure what cycle that is lol. Is it likely to be done before July? If so best get cracking.

Thanks
    x

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Simona

I'll work through the printout and see how I get on lol. My online LJ are on the pc but not online iykwim. I just print or pdf and send to parents.

My last inspection was January 2011 so not sure what cycle that is lol. Is it likely to be done before July? If so best get cracking.

Thanks
    x
    You'll be inspected in this cycle. My last inspection was Feb 2011 and I'm waiting for the phone call. Wish they'd hurry up.

Simona Guest

Thanks Simona

Thanks
    x
    Yes...Ofsted has also confirmed this in their latest guidance...the current cycle 2012-2016 ends on 31 July...bearing in mind some cms have been inspected as far back as 2009 so in the previous cycle...but we won't go there!!
    You will be called and informed in advance for a short notice of your inspection to ensure you are in

Hope you find the updating easy and come back if you need more help

Jun 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh my God now I'm totally panicking. Ofsted just called. Help!!!!!

20. Likes Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol you'll be fine! Good luck, let us know how it goes :-) x

Simona Guest

Ooookkkkk! Panic not!
    If your inspection is next week?.....you have plenty of time
    Make a list of what you need to do...if you have not already done so
    Get organised so you have space and time to concentrate over the next few days....a bit of wine ready too!...medicinal of course!

Don't try to introduce a new system in your paperwork....work around what you have as you are familiar with it

Get back and ask for help...hope we can do that for you....lesson learnt though never to leave things sooo late and stress yourself out
    I'll keep an eye on this thread in case you come back

23. Likes Memina, FloraDora liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Send them to me instead. I'm fed up waiting! Best of luck. Take your time doing the paperwork. Think about your mindees individually as she'll ask you to see how well you know them. Think of their different styles of learning and were they are developmentally. Stay calm. When are they coming?

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good luck, I echo what Simona said and let us know if we can help x

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    Good luck, I echo what Simona said and let us know if we can help x
    Have you been inspected yet?....I keep looking for the announcement Ofsted have remembered you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast