Thread: Pets

Registered Childminder since
    may 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pets

Hi there,
    Have any of you got any advice on keeping a pet rabbit - my daughter is desperate for a pet ideally a dog but thought this might be difficult with work so I was thinking of a rabbitt and keeping it inside ,
    have done lots of research but thought I come on here and see if anyone could share there experiences, ie how hard to litter train(did read that they pick it up quickly) and where's the best place for a tray.

Thanks in advance x x

Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No advice about rabbits but I have 2 Guinea pigs. :-)

Mine live in a big indoor cage (ferplast 120 ...think they call it a rabbit cage-I think it would be too small for a rabbit unless it was a dwarf rabbit) in the playroom from October - May and then in a hutch in the garden for the summer. I have an indoor run that I use at weekends/when I'm not working and a big run in the garden.
    My piggies love watching the children and squeak away at them for food. The children love feeding them and we always collect dandelions on our walks. They also come out for strokes or cuddles everyday.
    A Guinea pig is a good pet for a child as they are small enough to handle and generally good natured.

I do like rabbits, but they are strong and can kick, and I've had nasty bites from a rabbit. My friend has a house rabbit and it is 'free range' in the house ... But chews cables and everything! He has a litter tray in the corner he likes to poop in!

The thing to remember about any pet is that although it may be your dds in name, you will still need to make sure it is fed/watered/cleaned out/healthy etc and take ultimate responsibility. I'm sure you would, but I hear of people saying ' Oh the xyz died because the children didn't look after it '. The piggies are mine and my dds and she does look after them, but after a few years, the novelty of cleaning them out has worn off!

I took a photo but typically the piggies chose that moment to run away and hide!
    Attached Images Attached Images