Thread: Starting points

Registered Childminder since
    may 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Starting points

Hi there,

Just wanted to ask you guys what you do -do you fill out starting points after child has been with you for a few weeks, do them with the parent or ask parent to fill out on ther own and give to you?

Thanks in advance xx

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My understanding is Ofsted want us to observe on their first day to get accurate starting points, plus just before they start I give the new parents a copy of the relevant goals for their child's age group and ask them to highlight what they think their child has achieved. Then compare and meet to discuss the next steps. Then proceed from there.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I get parents to fill an all about me form in then do my own summary for each area of learning and a tracker when child has been with me 4-6 weeks, usually nearer 6 weeks as all mine are only 1 or 2 days a week so with settling them in can take a while to see what they can do.
    Ofsted were fine when I explained that, can't really do starting points on a child that is crying or upset on their first day.i
    I like the idea of parents highlighting what they can do though, I might do that to go with my termly progress report as parents never want to write anything but highlighting I think I'd have more of a chance with!