Thread: Trackers?

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Sorry Simona what I mean is how often should I complete an actual specific tracker form for the child?
    I just keep adding..when I observe something/ establish an outcome has been achieved.

2. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If I'm not sure where a child falls in to an EYO section is it ok if I refer to the parents for their thoughts or who makes the ultimate decision?

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I meet with parents half termly , my daily Obs will have established lots of 'hits' on the characteristics of learning and outcomes ...together we decide if a child has achieved...with extra obs added from parents throughout the half term and in discussion at end of half term / first week of new term.
    I use an online system, when I attach an obs to a learning outcome it colour codes...green means that I have obs evidence of this outcome a lot of times...therefore I could think about discussing with parent If we think achievement has been made.
    I sign them off with a date.
    My trackers then show...progress, achievement, areas of no obs therefore review planning and environment to ensure I don't have gaps of experience or a child ...this leads into next steps for the child. I can see currently that in the summer my LO's made more progress in maths than other areas...which made me reflect on the diet they were getting/ I was encouraging....I know it was linked to a big push on problem solving outdoors...so I needed to look at making a more balanced curriculum. It produces a nice instant graph in various forms so makes the meeting with the parent quick and easy....and we can then investigate furthur...

Simona Guest

Mumofone...you can 'track' every day ...how often you produce a report is up to you and the parents....EYFS is clear what you need to do....how you 'track' is by ongoing formative assessment

Tracking is not mentioned in the EYFS...trackers have been invented and produced as additional paperwork...the next Steps in Development Matters are your trackers! I don't use the word at all....I have bought several trackers and binned them!

By planning Next Steps you are 'moving' children on to the next level of learning because you have assessed that learning is truly embedded...so you plan the next challenge with the parents and them looking at What to expect, when? then decide when to write up a short assessment

If you are new I would suggest you use DM because they guide you step-by-step...not only in practice but provision...EYO are used by inspectors to look at children's outcomes because they could not use DM which is very extensive.

What we do is we encourage children to develop towards the Early Learning Goals at the end of each learning area
    it is rare we have children at age 5 when we have to do the EYFS profile...that is usually done in Reception by teachers

6. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Mumofone...you can 'track' every day ...how often you produce a report is up to you and the parents....EYFS is clear what you need to do....how you 'track' is by ongoing formative assessment Tracking is not mentioned in the EYFS...trackers have been invented and produced as additional paperwork...the next Steps in Development Matters are your trackers! I don't use the word at all....I have bought several trackers and binned them! By planning Next Steps you are 'moving' children on to the next level of learning because you have assessed that learning is truly embedded...so you plan the next challenge with the parents and them looking at What to expect, when? then decide when to write up a short assessment If you are new I would suggest you use DM because they guide you step-by-step...not only in practice but provision...EYO are used by inspectors to look at children's outcomes because they could not use DM which is very extensive. What we do is we encourage children to develop towards the Early Learning Goals at the end of each learning area it is rare we have children at age 5 when we have to do the EYFS profile...that is usually done in Reception by teachers
    Hi Simona, surely ofsted mark you down though if you don't show them your trackers??

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Hi Simona, surely ofsted mark you down though if you don't show them your trackers??
    Not if you are 'tracking' or 'checking'...better word....children's progress via your ongoing formative assessment which is based on the next steps you wish the children to take?
    The obs will give you the assessment you need to make ...don't need to record all obs just the important ones ...the rest you keep in mind.

To 'track' is also to make sure children are progressing at expected, emerging or exceeding levels...that they do not have areas you need to support or others you need to extend the challenge....all through play based opportunities.

I believe if you follow DM you are tracking progress...often one or more areas will link and you just need one observation to confirm that with a short statement on how the child is using his characteristics to learn
    It will depend on how much 'documentation' you wish to do but the simpler the better...and always bear in mind you know your children best!

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Not if you are 'tracking' or 'checking'...better word....children's progress via your ongoing formative assessment which is based on the next steps you wish the children to take?
    The obs will give you the assessment you need to make ...don't need to record all obs just the important ones ...the rest you keep in mind.

To 'track' is also to make sure children are progressing at expected, emerging or exceeding levels...that they do not have areas you need to support or others you need to extend the challenge....all through play based opportunities.

I believe if you follow DM you are tracking progress...often one or more areas will link and you just need one observation to confirm that with a short statement on how the child is using his characteristics to learn
    It will depend on how much 'documentation' you wish to do but the simpler the better...and always bear in mind you know your children best!
    I choose to use a simple A4 sheet. But if you look across obs over a period of time they should show 'progress': child achieveing more and more? child moving up an age/stage in an Aspect? child starting to do xyz and then a month later mastering xyz? ...Yes? That is tracking progress. You are doing it already.
    I just like to have it on one A4 per child with nice coloured pen on! It is not a requirement to do it like that. I just choose to.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    I choose to use a simple A4 sheet. But if you look across obs over a period of time they should show 'progress': child achieveing more and more? child moving up an age/stage in an Aspect? child starting to do xyz and then a month later mastering xyz? ...Yes? That is tracking progress. You are doing it already.
    I just like to have it on one A4 per child with nice coloured pen on! It is not a requirement to do it like that. I just choose to.
    Perfect system and it works for you...I used to take photos, when possible...of a child mastering a learning step so that the assessment had 'proof' next to it!
    Put that in the Portfolio with a short statement highlighting the CoE!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12