Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Do I need R.A's

Registered Childminder since
    may 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do I need R.A's

Although it's not a legal requirement (I think) to have written Ra's would you guys advise it,
    I currently have a daily check list with reminders on eg room temp, stair gate, clean tidy floors etc,
    but use it as a prompt list instead of a working document.

Am due Ofsted any moment and questioning everything I do!!!

Thanks in advance xx

jan 95
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine is due too and have thought about the same thing. You sometimes hear people say 'its good practise' .Personally I stopped doing a daily tick list cos I wasn't really using it in the right way -its easy to tick tick tick without doing anything. And I am sure we all risk assess all the time. You don't need a list to remind you not to leave the scissors on the floor.
    I think its a good idea to have a reminder maybe for things to take on a trip out -again I doubt any of us need reminding but for Ofsted maybe worth having one. I wrote a RA when I didn' t have an oven for a few days. Alwaya feels like doing it for the wrong reasons though.
    In my area we are all getting the same inspector, and so far not heard anything about risk assessments.

Post Thanks / Like

I had an inspection this month and the inspector wanted to see a written copy of my House and Garden check list and wanted to know how regularly I ticked it off, which I don't do. I have a written risk assessment policy and a form I fill in if I consider there to be any risks which need assessing/minimising and resolving. Eg split lino, fence broken etc. She also wanted to see written copies of my outing risk assessments. She asked to see a sample of my permission slips.

jan 95
    Post Thanks / Like

That' interesting. I need to do some more looking into on this then, as i didn't think it was an actual requirement anymore. lol though safer to just write some out if it keeps them happy I suppose.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi vals. I didn't think it was still a legal requirement either - less paperwork and all that. :-D

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

This is what the EYFS framework says:

Risk assessment
    3.64.Providers must ensure that they take all reasonable steps to ensure staff and
    children in their care are not exposed to risks and must be able to demonstrate how
    they are managing risks. Providers must determine where it is helpful to make
    some written risk assessments in relation to specific issues, to inform staff practice,
    and to demonstrate how they are managing risks if asked by parents and/or carers
    or inspectors
    . Risk assessments should identify aspects of the environment that
    need to be checked on a regular basis, when and by whom those aspects will be
    checked, and how the risk will be removed or minimised.
    Guidance on risk assessments, including where written ones may be required where five or more staff
    are employed, can be obtained from the Health and Safety Executive.

Outings
    3.65.Children must be kept safe while on outings. Providers must assess the risks or
    hazards which may arise for the children, and must identify the steps to be taken to
    remove, minimise and manage those risks and hazards. The assessment must
    include consideration of adult to child ratios. The risk assessment does not
    necessarily need to be in writing
    ; this is for providers to judge

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do written RAs for outings and for specific issues that are out of the ordinary (having building work done, fence down in garden etc), but the rest is covered by my RA policy which says that I routinely run visual checks before children arrive and continually throughout the day.