Parents Commenting on Observations?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Parents Commenting on Observations?

I have decided to use observation sheets that have space for parents to share their views on what you have noted. I am attempting to get parents to write on them at the end of each week. I succeeded the first week and failed the second. Don't feel like I want to impose on the parent when they look like they've already got their hands full.

Are my expectations too high here? How has anyone else managed to get parents to frequently work with them to share learning journeys?

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It really depends upon the parent!
    Some are keen to be involved and respond/reply etc, some are happy to chat, but don't really respond to anything in writing and some don't seem interested!
    At the moment all my parents are interested but all so busy that we never get anything on paper!
    I'm debating sending LJs home without me, but I suspect a couple might not come back! (Not intentionally, but just lost/forgotten! )

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine comment but it is online anyway- so they click to view obs/photo and simply click to type a comment immediately (sometimes it is just 'aw that's cute' or 'I like that idea' or about how the child has done something similar at home etc.)

It is lovely to get comments and I comment on theirs when they post obs from home too.

I guess many parents are used to giving a quick message back online (facebook etc) so it comes easily. As for asking for hand written notes on paper... might be a bit harder.

4. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I actually think that I've got lucky with my first customers and they both seem really interested and happy to share information. (I did warn them that I'm quite enthusiastic about these things) because the girls only do two days (one just being wraparound care) I've been observing quite a bit when they are here to get their starting points. I had 5 for them to comment on last week and 8 this week. One parent was having such trouble wrangling the children that I really didn't feel comfortable asking them to do it.

I'm aware that if we don't do it weekly though, it will only build up. An online system would be good for sharing, I can definitely see that, I'm just really attached to the paper versions. Argh. I wonder if it would seem odd to take a photo of the obs and send it to Mum online when the children aren't in my care?

Like I said, I'm really lucky to have interested parents. I think if during the settling I'd have gotten the impression that they didn't care then I would have been less content signing contracts!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by greenfaerie View Post
    Thanks guys. I actually think that I've got lucky with my first customers and they both seem really interested and happy to share information. (I did warn them that I'm quite enthusiastic about these things) because the girls only do two days (one just being wraparound care) I've been observing quite a bit when they are here to get their starting points. I had 5 for them to comment on last week and 8 this week. One parent was having such trouble wrangling the children that I really didn't feel comfortable asking them to do it.

I'm aware that if we don't do it weekly though, it will only build up. An online system would be good for sharing, I can definitely see that, I'm just really attached to the paper versions. Argh. I wonder if it would seem odd to take a photo of the obs and send it to Mum online when the children aren't in my care?

Like I said, I'm really lucky to have interested parents. I think if during the settling I'd have gotten the impression that they didn't care then I would have been less content signing contracts!
    Wow, have I got that right? A child has attended 2 days this week, you have done 8 written observations on them and you want parents to comment on all of them? What do you want parents to write? They are soon going to lose their enthusiasm if they have that much homework to do!

It is a good idea to get feedback, but you don't need it on every observation. Could you consolidate them all into one bigger obs so parents only have to make one comment?

Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I know, I'm way too ambitious, and that's why I didn't ask because it felt like a burden to them It was 4 on each child. I just feel like I want to start out right, because it can only go down from here. I love the idea of a perfectly flowing partnership of care, but don't know how to realistically achieve that. :S

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by greenfaerie View Post
    I know, I'm way too ambitious, and that's why I didn't ask because it felt like a burden to them It was 4 on each child. I just feel like I want to start out right, because it can only go down from here. I love the idea of a perfectly flowing partnership of care, but don't know how to realistically achieve that. :S
    It's good to start out with a lot of ambition, but then tweek your ideas as you go along

I would try and look at it from a parent's point of view. If you have been at work all day the last thing you want to do when you get home is have to think up comments to write on observations. It's usually not that parents aren't interested, it's just that they don't know what to write. There's pressure on to try to think of something different to write each time and it becomes a chore, rather than something they want to do. I know when my children were at school we used to get their "special book" sent home every term. We only had to read 3 bits of work that had gone into it and leave a comment, but it was so difficult to some up with something different and meaningful each time. I'd often end up drawing a smiley face or putting a happy sticker in the parent's comments box!! I'd have really struggled if I'd had to do it every week.

Can you think of any ways to make it easier for parents? Could you do some sort of tick box so they can at least show they've read it? I've found the less you ask them to write, the more likely you are to get a reply

9. Likes moggy, loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mouse. I do understand that parents don't always want to write notes after a whole day of work. I guess I find it hard to empathise completely since I'm rarely at a loss for words, haha. :S I really need to strike a balance. I'm positive my amount of obs will slow after I have the children's starting points down. Then I'll save it for the "Wow" moments, I'm just finding it difficult to distinguish them at the moment since I don't know what the children can already do.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I use an online system too so it is very easy for parents to add comments.
    But my parents contribute mainly with their own observations, things that I wouldn't see as much in the setting - this then gets put straight into online LJ.

I would only expect a now and again comment from parents on my obs.

One set of parents, Cambridge uni educated and solicitors now so fairly aspirational feel that their 2 year old doesn't need all the 'paperwork' side. They just are happy with her developments and happiness which they can see themselves, and rarely comment, but say lots on drop off and pick up.
    My teachers however love the progress section of the online system!

Don't expect your parents to be too enthusiastic, it's new to you so you are all guns blazing at the moment, also don't set yourself up for a huge maintenance of diaries and observations in the future, if you decide to take on more .......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    Mine comment but it is online anyway- so they click to view obs/photo and simply click to type a comment immediately (sometimes it is just 'aw that's cute' or 'I like that idea' or about how the child has done something similar at home etc.) It is lovely to get comments and I comment on theirs when they post obs from home too. I guess many parents are used to giving a quick message back online (facebook etc) so it comes easily. As for asking for hand written notes on paper... might be a bit harder.
    Which online system do you use again moggy?

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a smart phone there is an an called wats app, you can send photos for free, my parents make lots of comments this way I just copy them and add to learning journals.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I use Tapestry on-line journals - had a lo leave because they were moving away 2 or 3 weeks ago but I have still left the journal active so the mum can share photos - we were so excited to get notification today that an observation had been added - photos of the lo making chocolate crispy cakes with her mum - the other children loved seeing photos of their friend.

I pay a subscription for 12 children but only have 6 active early years and one school aged child who comes occasionally in the holiday so it's not affecting me to leave the journal account open for a while longer.

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Also you don't just need parents to fill something in, use the children instead - ask them what they have been doing with mummy and daddy, do you use the potty at home? etc.....anything they verbally say, write it in....ask them a question and record the answer

16. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to jump in but can bluebear tell me how comments from w a t s app can be copied. Do you mean written down or do you copy comments to laptop maybe so they can be printed. I use this app quite a lot for parents. Thanks :-)

Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys.

I do use Whatsapp to communicate with parents, but have only really been using it to update the parent with how their child is settling. (Fantastically, thank goodness!)

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Which online system do you use again moggy?
    I am now using Tapestry

20. Likes hectors house liked this post