Do you keep old versions of policies or get rid?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you keep old versions of policies or get rid?

Hi,

I am having a sort out of my electronic paperwork that is stored and am just wondering if I need to retain the different versions of my paperwork, or I can just get rid and only keep the up to date ones.

Thanks,
    Sam x

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always got rid! Not having my computer memory cluttered up with rubbish!
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stapleton83 View Post
    Hi,

I am having a sort out of my electronic paperwork that is stored and am just wondering if I need to retain the different versions of my paperwork, or I can just get rid and only keep the up to date ones.

Thanks,
    Sam x
    I vaguely remember being advised on a Child Protection course that it is good practice to keep a copy of old policies - believe it or not - until the child's 21st birthday. (This is to cover yourself for policies that you're using now or in the past where something was allowed that isn't in the future. One example I can think of is the use of 'physical intervention'. I think the current wording for this has changed in the last few years and will probably change in the future. I only use P.I. to stop a child running into the road, or to prevent them harming themselves or another child for example, but who knows when this might be used against me/us in the future!)

So if you can find a way of keeping versions somehow, it might be a good idea.

(Possibly further research needed on this and someone more clued up than me can help you.)

All the best,

L
    Last edited by lollipop kid; 01-05-2015 at 03:16 PM.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

TBH I do not have a well organised way of archiving old policies but I think I should.

Policies form part of the contract, I believe, so in future if there is some dispute/claim against us/allegation it might be that we need to prove what the parents had signed to agree to. It is very unlikely to happen but not impossible- maybe Pacey's free legal service could advise (if you are a member).

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Because I print all mine out I just put the most recent one at the front of the plastic folder
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a copy of the Policies I have given to each family when they start with me in their folder with their Contract etc. so I have a record of what version they have had to start with and then I put any updates in their folder and just get the parents to sign when I give them their copy. Important to keep a track in case there was ever a dispute. I then have a folder for me with each new version added on the top so again if there was a dispute I have all up dates.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I was told by a development worker that a childminder got downgraded for having her old polices in the same folder as the new ones. The argument being she might have given out an out of date policy to a new parent.

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

As I email all my policies and procedures at the beginning, never even thought about it! As I update I send another email

So I guess that's my "back up old copy"

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have all of my policies on my website (and they are all dated). However, I go in every 6 months to review them and then put the new date on each of them to show that I have reviewed them. I also mark - amended, or no change to them.

I get parents to sign a list of policies and date it at the start of the contract to show that they have read my policies and are aware of them. I then keep this in their file. I've also got a few of the important ones listed in their contract copies (paper versions). Then I just make any policy amendments necessary directly onto the website.

I will need to think of a way of keeping older copies - I don't currently do this, but think that I should.

If anyone does anything similar to me (e.g. having policies on their website) has any suggestions on how to keep the older copies (other than printing them out and highlighting the changes on each version?) then I'd love to hear it, as I need to find a way of keeping myself covered.

All the best,

L
    Last edited by lollipop kid; 03-05-2015 at 12:06 PM.