Newsletter help!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Newsletter help!

Can anyone help me please? I'd like to put together a newsletter every so often for the parents, but have no idea how to go about doing it....or what should really go on it! Hopeless I know! Grateful for any suggestions and help!x

Jun 06
    Post Thanks / Like

I did one recently (first one because I don't see the need - I discuss everything with parents verbally?) to show pics and names/ages of the other kids in our setting. We have lots of little ones and with timings of drop offs/pick ups parents were really happy to see who their child was spending their day with. I also included a few updates as per the September EYFS. I outlined the basics of the EYFS for those parents who aren't sure and how we implement it in our setting. And (yes I am that sad) to kill many birds with the one stone, I included the new allergens info and a list of allergens in the meals we provide. Then a final statement requesting that early arriving parents stick to contracted hours as even the last minute can make all the difference to us being ready to receive their child.
    I also provided a "comments about our service" which most parents filled out with lovely appreciative comments. Just annoying that one parent saw it as an opportunity to criticise. She wants me to support LO more with potty training, eating more vegetables and learning new words. Ok - that's kind of what my job entails? And how about hanging fire on potty training as he's only just hit 18 months.....?! There is always one. Funny how she's also the parent who always arrives 10 mins early.......

Hope this helps?

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do a quarterly one:

- What we plan to do this Season... (some vague activity idea like collect conkers, make xmas decorations, plant bulbs etc)
    - Happy birthday to... (any birthdays that quarter)
    - Welcome to/ Goodbye to... (any children joining/leaving)
    - Paragraph on things like: CPD training courses I have done, and updates to EYFS/SEND/allergens info etc.
    - Info on things like World Book Day, Grow Your Own Potatoes, RSPB Garden Birdwatch, Sainsbury's Active Kids vouchers etc
    - Something like a recipe for playdough or a seasonal recipe like mincemeat
    - Sometimes an article I write about a topic like our allotment, or recycling, or whatever.
    - Up-coming closure dates (our holidays, bank hols etc)
    - Vacancies News (in case they know anyone...)
    - Photos from the last quarter (general having-fun photos that were not used as Obs)

4. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I do one each term with a 'hello' to new children, a 'bye - we'll miss you' to leaving children, 'good luck at big school' and 'happy birthday to XYZ in oct/nov/dec.'
    I mention a few things we did last term, and what we might do this term, any themes or topics I have and ask parents to tell me if they think of anything/anywhere that might be of interest.
    I usually mention any training I have done/am doing.
    I always have a brief paragraph reminding about not coming when ill, plus request to remember waterproofs & wellies!
    and then anything else ... so I did a brief round up on EYFS14 and a reminder about funded sessions.

sometimes I put a photo on.

hope that helps x

Post Thanks / Like

I've been wondering about this too! I know this will sound really dumb but is a term considered the same as a normal school term? Just wondered how it works in early years settings?

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I do mine September, January and after the Easter hols!

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    I've been wondering about this too! I know this will sound really dumb but is a term considered the same as a normal school term? Just wondered how it works in early years settings?
    Yes, 'school terms' are used by EY settings too.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

There are no rights and wrongs when doing a newsletter (or not doing one). Basically you put in anything that you feel needs communicating. It could be reminders - spare clothes/medicine policy/sun cream/removing shoes when entering your setting etc. You might want to say something about what you are covering, which playgroups you attend on which days, any info about new assistants etc. You might want to mention birthdays that you have celebrated (although parents might not want such information being made public). I would aim for no more than an A4 sheet.