Written all my RAs and policies/procedures and now seriously doubting their worth
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Written all my RAs and policies/procedures and now seriously doubting their worth

So, a good childminding friend, in the business for ten years, lent me her paperwork to have something to follow for my own.. Well, I did it all a good month ago but looking at it I realised there was no Lost child policy, the address for Ofsted was wrong and other things were wrong. Looking at it, they were not actual policies, with a set of procedures to follow but a few sentences. I am now updating it all again and I am much happier, but now I am doubting as to whether the RAs are okay. I did add quite a few more to each RA but they still might not be as in depth as they should be. Looking at the RA page on here I wonder if it needs to be more in depth? I've attached my RA for my flat, is it enough? I kind of think too much would be better than too little.

I also made my friend aware of the problems with her paperwork as she has not had an Ofsted visit for nearly five years and don't want it to effect her good rating
    Attached Files Attached Files

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry couldn't get your attachment to work - just look at each area of your flat from the height and mind of a toddler.

Sept 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Tabby, your RA looks like mine- I added a column for notes so I could handwrite things I noticed or decided to change. I felt this made it more of a working document. I feel the same as you bout my policies and procedures. Now I need to show them to parents I feel some of them tick boxes but don't really reflect how I will work.
    I'm also not sure about things like the health guidance. Do I have to ware an apron and gloves for nappy changing and have nappies collected by a hygiene service or not?
    Although my policies have been marked by my CYPOP5 assessor and were looked at by Mrs O fro my registration visit I would feel much better if someone actually READ them and told me they were ok.

4. Likes TabbyTuTu liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Exactly the same Lal, just think no matter how much I tried to include I would forget something.. I think I have listed all the major things but maybe I should go through listing every item and piece of furniture for risks because everything is a risk at the end of the day... But then seeing as you don't need written RAs surely this would be a ridiculous amount of extra paperwork?!

In regards to gloves (I'm not going to bother with apron) I think I shall list these in a hygiene procedure rather than a risk

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Before i started up i googles RA's. I found a brill set which covered everything. I just picked the ones which related to my setting and tweaked them to fit.

Try having a search. I think it was bromley? I will look over the course of the morning and let you know if you haven't had any luck.

7. Likes TabbyTuTu liked this post
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yours look fine to me - but if you want to look at south Gloucestershire risk asessments. They were recommended to me by my prereg inspector and are excellent.
    http://www.southglos.gov.uk/documents/cyp090022.pdf
    http://www.southglos.gov.uk/Documents/CYP090021.pdf

9. Likes rickysmiths, TabbyTuTu liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    Yours look fine to me - but if you want to look at south Gloucestershire risk asessments. They were recommended to me by my prereg inspector and are excellent.
    Mine were based on these!

11. Likes TabbyTuTu liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    Thats the ones lol :-)

13. Likes TabbyTuTu, AJU liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh fantastic, thank you I shall have a look! Shortstuff I have been using Bromley to help me with my policies, thank god for this forum and the internet!!

15. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine are similar to the ones posted above.

I also had a chat to an inspector as well about 'daily RA's' and she said that she has seen checklists literally full of ticks that mean nothing. She has also had CM's who had a statement at the start of their RA folder, stating what they do check every day, and then have an 'on-going RA' which is literally just a blank RA form and everytime a risk is identifed, it is documented and dealt with - Such as Hazard - Garden Gate broken....etc) she said that showed her that the particular minder was actually doing these checks and not just ticking a sheet of paper.

I have started this, and for me it is much better, as I would often forget to 'tick the sheet' and a few days later, just tick it, which meant it wasn't being used as it was supposed to, but with the on-going one, I do fill that out.

17. Likes TabbyTuTu, Bundle, cupcake22 liked this post
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaReed84 View Post

... and then have an 'on-going RA' which is literally just a blank RA form and everytime a risk is identifed, it is documented and dealt with - Such as Hazard - Garden Gate broken....etc) she said that showed her that the particular minder was actually doing these checks and not just ticking a sheet of paper.
    Oh!
    Thanks for this - so obvious, but somehow I hadn't thought of it!

19. Likes TabbyTuTu liked this post