Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    July 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Babysitter Policy help

Hi If any of you fantastic people can help me i would be very great full.

Here is the problem I have been a child minder since june 2012 & all going well then in sept i was asked to babysit every week on a Friday for a little one i have 3 whole days per week great yep i can do that I did the home check & filled out a quick template form risk assessment on there's. All was going great till 3 weeks ago I was asked by a different parent to babysit there I said i cant sorry as already booked then 1 hour before i meant go they rang & said they changed mind they not going out. Ok no problems then last week same again happened i decided i needed a policy or something on this but was only thinking about it till today.

I have been on holiday mon till today coming back just for them tonight as they said they really needed me. But i got there for them to say oh we decided not go out as its chilly I tried explain i would have to charge as this keeps happening & my holiday cut short for them they said there is no policy or anything in writing so they can change there mind when they want Help please anything.

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't got a policy , but youre right there should be something to stop them messing you about.

Before I did that though Id wait til they asked me to sit again , and cancel on them at the very last second , telling them there is no policy or anything in writing so I can change there mind when I want!

Id be tempted to do a babysitting booking form , with payment due at booking and non refundable - much like my adhoc booking form.

3. Likes bunyip, Hatchlings, Kiddleywinks liked this post
    sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be raging by their answer and say Fridays is now not available!!!!!
    Tess1981

5. Likes Hatchlings liked this post
    May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally wouldn't do it anymore however if you do wish to continue I would either build it into your contract so it becomes part of your regular hours so comes under your normal t's & c's or else I would come up with a booking system. For example:

Full payment required on booking.
    50% refundable on cancellation more than 24hrs beforehand. (Or whatever you feel is acceptable)
    No refund if cancellation less than 24hrs.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

8. Likes Hatchlings liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchlings View Post
    Hi If any of you fantastic people can help me i would be very great full.

Here is the problem I have been a child minder since june 2012 & all going well then in sept i was asked to babysit every week on a Friday for a little one i have 3 whole days per week great yep i can do that I did the home check & filled out a quick template form risk assessment on there's. All was going great till 3 weeks ago I was asked by a different parent to babysit there I said i cant sorry as already booked then 1 hour before i meant go they rang & said they changed mind they not going out. Ok no problems then last week same again happened i decided i needed a policy or something on this but was only thinking about it till today.

I have been on holiday mon till today coming back just for them tonight as they said they really needed me. But i got there for them to say oh we decided not go out as its chilly I tried explain i would have to charge as this keeps happening & my holiday cut short for them they said there is no policy or anything in writing so they can change there mind when they want Help please anything.
    Babysitting is neither regulated nor legislated ...so not sure why the paperwork?
    Families use babysitter as needed...if they change their mind and stay in what can we do?

I would review your arrangement with this family and maybe look for more families to provide that service to if this one is messing you around

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post

Babysitting is neither regulated nor legislated ...so not sure why the paperwork?
    Families use babysitter as needed...if they change their mind and stay in what can we do?

I would review your arrangemente with this family and maybe look for more families to provide that service to if this one is messing you around
    Yes, babysitting isn't regulated or legislated, however your insurance only covers you if you have certain things in place.

I too have been mucked around with babtsitting so I have certain booking terms in place. I'm a registered childminder and families expect a more professional approach.

If they want a more flexible arrangement then they should either not expect the original poster to be always available but just book her a day or two in advance and take pot luck as to whether she is available, or use a local teenager or family friend who won't mind the arrangement they are looking for.

11. Likes Hatchlings liked this post
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm afraid I would no longer be available for babysitting for this family in future, and whilst mouse's suggestion is one I'd be tempted, very tempted in fact, to do, I realise that the babysitting isn't the main source of income from this family, the daytime childminding is so playing tit for tat in this instance probably wouldn't do you any favours

You live and learn, mark it down to experience and then change the way you do things to avoid it happening in the future
    I would only do babysitting if payment was made at the time of the booking, and is unrefundable if parents change their mind.

13. Likes Hatchlings liked this post
    July 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Thank you to all

I looked at all the replys then i contacted them yesterday & we had a meeting at theres a little friendly chat about how the baysitting effects the others i care for in respect many of the mums ask me & when i say no then find out i could of its disapointing & finashally hard, They are all invited to our wedding next year & we have said that the extra babysitter money is to make that day a fun one we had the chat & i said could we us a booking form that if less than 24 hours notice to cancel happened I would bill them for 2 hours unless it was the child being ill in which case i would waver it but just they changed there mind They would have a 2 hour bill they excepted this & so its worked well

So as alwasy many thanks I have written a little T & c for the babysitter service i provide & a booking form so we will see what the next 6 months bring haha.

15. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post