Learning journey for a temp (who may become permanent)
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Learning journey for a temp (who may become permanent)

Hi guys - I have just had a call confirming a new starter (6 month old) starting this Tuesday! Mum is looking to finish her degree so needs 2 days a week up until august and then she will be going back to work so doesn't know which days she'll be doing so is unsure whether he can stay with me or not. Do I need to do a learning journey for him if he's only with me until then?

thanks

Registered Childminder since
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes. If an inspector turned up and you haven't any evidence to show for that child your would be graded harshly

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm having a 9 month old 1 day a week until end of August. I intend to do a more detailed learning journey for him- that includes some obs and photos and when he leaves I will write a summary in it. I have explained to mum that I can't do full learning journeys but will track his development and plan activities for him. I think this is plenty. I usually do monthly obs sheets and termly summaries so think this should be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys - thought as much but just didn't want to do unnecessary work (doing 4 LJS at the moment and I only registered a month ago so the paperwork is quite daunting). When he leaves in aug do I give his LJ to mum or keep it? sorry I really have no clue! (I did my course online so it didn't go into any of this)

thanks

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow great to hear your so busy so quickly- well done you! Yes you give it to mum when he leaves.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks samb

Yes, I was worried about getting 1 but the demand here seems high! I am having to turn people away now (although I'm sure I wont always be this lucky!) just must be a shortage at the moment here. thanks for your help....my evenings are taken over by paperwork....does that side of it get easier as you get the hang of it? x

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you learn what you need to do and learn to do some things more efficiently etc but I still do loads 4 years on- but then I am a long winded thorough type of person so think its part of my personality!!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2lovelygirls View Post
    Hi guys - I have just had a call confirming a new starter (6 month old) starting this Tuesday! Mum is looking to finish her degree so needs 2 days a week up until august and then she will be going back to work so doesn't know which days she'll be doing so is unsure whether he can stay with me or not. Do I need to do a learning journey for him if he's only with me until then?

thanks
    No, a LJ is never compulsory. What you have to do is demonstrate how you monitor, assess and plan for a child's development. How you do that is up to you.

I'd keep it simple. Get some starting points, note interests and what the child can do (can they sit up. do they babble etc), then include photos of what the child does in their time with you. Hand it over to mum if they do leave or develop it in line with your other LJs if they stay

9. Likes Goatgirl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you