How do you word your large play equipment policy?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you word your large play equipment policy?

Hi, can I ask a question regarding your garden policy/permissions. Well, large play equipment to be specific. I have it all lumped together at the moment, am in the process of a re-write and have had a few thoughts

Obviously, play equipment in my garden, I have control over, if it looks damaged I can remove it from play

In a park, it might on the surface look alright, but actually not be. So for example, if can see that a swing looks unsafe, we don't use it or leave the park, that is in my power. Do you write something in that says you are not liable for equipment that you do not maintain? So if that swing broke, even though to me it looked fine, can I say that the local council is responsible, not me. Therefore insurance company chase council for damages rather than bump up my insurance policy

Am thinking specifically of someone who was using/hiring a hall and someone sat on a chair and the chair broke. Because she didn't specifically state that she was not responsible, it was the people who she hired from, she was seen as liable and had to pay damages and her public liability insurance premiums went up.

Does that make sense?

How do you word yours and am i overthinking it?

Hx

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

But children use all kinds of stuff that we don't personally have responsibility for- yes, playground equipment but also supermarket trolleys, library book shelves, toddler group equipment, children and family centre resources, school playground equipment, public transport, other houses we visit... I think you are over-thinking it!

Risk assessing as you go is enough. It is unfortunate that you know of this incident with the broken chair but that is very very rare.

I do not have a large playground equipment policy at all- I ask permission for children to use playground equipment and RA it as I go along. That is all.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think we can simply refuse to accept responsibility simply because we say so. In fact, an awful lot of those signs which begin "The management accepts no liability for......" aren't worth the paper they're printed on. They're simply a bluff to to deter the public from making a claim.

I imagine if I put a child on a swing and that child got hurt, the parents would come after me and my insurer for compensation. It would then be up to me, though my insurer, to make a claim against the owners of the playpark to prove they were negligent and thereby cover the cost of the parents' initial claim.