Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    dec 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Childminder/Assistant Sickness Rule

Always thought it was the 48 hour rule to ALL until i read something recently and now i cannot find it.

Something along the lines as it can be 24 hours to come back to work in some settings but 48 hours in providing food......can anyone shed light before i tell my assistant its 48 hours.

Im sure its 48 hours.... but just want to clarify (i dont want to be ill haha)

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought it was 24 hours for adults unless dealing with food - I think everyone has assumed it is 48 hours like it is with the children. If it was me I would let assistant back, try to spend as much time as possible outside and ensure she doesn't prepare any food. In the real world, most people don't get paid sick pay when they are off work, they don't take 48 hours off.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by leeanne910 View Post
    Always thought it was the 48 hour rule to ALL until i read something recently and now i cannot find it.

Something along the lines as it can be 24 hours to come back to work in some settings but 48 hours in providing food......can anyone shed light before i tell my assistant its 48 hours.

Im sure its 48 hours.... but just want to clarify (i dont want to be ill haha)
    It depends on the sickness...is it a tummy bug? then 48 hrs
    Any other sickness depends on what it is...flu? infectious disease? broken limb?

Is she employed or self employed?...employees have a right to sick pay by the Cm who employs them

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

http://multimedia.food.gov.uk/multim...reland1009.pdf

on this website about which is directly about food handlers it states that people handling food should be excluded from handing food for 48 hours, however they could still remain employed in another capacity within the company providing they ensure they follow strict hygiene rules to minimise the spread of the infection.

Simona - employees aren't automatically entitled to sick pay just because they are employed rather than self employed - this may apply in the Public sector but many employees have to be off work sick for 3 whole days just to get Stat sick pay from the government in the private sector - Sick pay is at the discretion of the employer.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    http://multimedia.food.gov.uk/multim...reland1009.pdf

on this website about which is directly about food handlers it states that people handling food should be excluded from handing food for 48 hours, however they could still remain employed in another capacity within the company providing they ensure they follow strict hygiene rules to minimise the spread of the infection.

Simona - employees aren't automatically entitled to sick pay just because they are employed rather than self employed - this may apply in the Public sector but many employees have to be off work sick for 3 whole days just to get Stat sick pay from the government in the private sector - Sick pay is at the discretion of the employer.
    That makes me ask why do we exclude babies when they have diarrhoea ...they don't handle food.
    surely someone with a tummy bug will spread the germs when using the loo?

I have not looked at employment rules since I was an employer ...so not very updated...but why do nursery staff get sick pay and not CMs assistants?

dec 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I worked in nurseries and never once got.sick pay in 10yrs. Think its a benefit by the company.if.they.choose.

Ssp you have to be off so many days.

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I worked in a family centre and after 5 years of no paid sickness we were granted 3 days paid sickness a year due to a considerate committee. The other family centres in the county have no sickness pay until statutory sick pay kicks in after 3 days.