Out of date medicine and parent misbehaviour!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Out of date medicine and parent misbehaviour!

Hello all,

I have a 32mnth mindee, who has recently had. Kitten at home and it has brought them out in a horrendous allergic reaction, anyway after lots of battling with mom last week to take mindee to doctors, she arrived this morning with a bottle of piriton. Mindee was visibly better, no would rash no redness. When I went to fill out medicine book, I noticed the piriton was 2yrs out of date!!! I told mom that I cannot give this and she should go get another bottle now from the shop down the road me I will administer that instead. She Said no not got time, he has been having this medicine since last Friday and it clearly works, so I give you permission to use it. I said no, but if you give me some money I will go no get some for you, she told me she had no money and ran out of the door before I could stop her!!

She then went on Facebook and put a Status up, which a few mutual friends also saw and alerted me to, saying I was refusing to look after her child, needless to say everyone slated me, and told her to report me, I was unfit to look after children!!

I'm so upset, I doubt she would have grounds if she did try to report me, I have written everything up, so far mindee has not had any medicine, am I allowed to go and buy some even though mom said no??! He isn't scratching or bleeding at all today, skin is just ever so slightly pink in some ares?? X

Registered Childminder since
    Nov '11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleMarie88 View Post
    Hello all,

I have a 32mnth mindee, who has recently had. Kitten at home and it has brought them out in a horrendous allergic reaction, anyway after lots of battling with mom last week to take mindee to doctors, she arrived this morning with a bottle of piriton. Mindee was visibly better, no would rash no redness. When I went to fill out medicine book, I noticed the piriton was 2yrs out of date!!! I told mom that I cannot give this and she should go get another bottle now from the shop down the road me I will administer that instead. She Said no not got time, he has been having this medicine since last Friday and it clearly works, so I give you permission to use it. I said no, but if you give me some money I will go no get some for you, she told me she had no money and ran out of the door before I could stop her!!

She then went on Facebook and put a Status up, which a few mutual friends also saw and alerted me to, saying I was refusing to look after her child, needless to say everyone slated me, and told her to report me, I was unfit to look after children!!

I'm so upset, I doubt she would have grounds if she did try to report me, I have written everything up, so far mindee has not had any medicine, am I allowed to go and buy some even though mom said no??! He isn't scratching or bleeding at all today, skin is just ever so slightly pink in some ares?? X
    You are joking!! You are absolutely within your rights to withold this medication if it is out of date, the consequences could be far worse if they had a reaction to out of date medicine! She will (of course) not be giving the whole story on fb as she wont want to look bad, so just ignore these comments, if she did report you, you have done nothing wrong so nothing to worry about.

You have written up an incident form and I would go and buy some piriton myself (but ensure it is exactly the same one), have they rehomed the cat?! I do hope so, it's not fair on the poor child!!

Post Thanks / Like

No the kitten is still with them!!

Yes everything is written up, I even took a photo of the out of date piriton!! I managed to get her to sign the incident form where I wrote that I would not be administering this medicine, so I know she doesn't have a leg to stand on, it's just infuriating!

I just don't want to get in trouble for giving him medicine when she said she didn't want me to buy any other :s x

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

No, do not provide medicine for anyone,

If mum had given you money and said - yes please replace the medicine I am so embarrassed at giving my son out of date medicine which is dangerous then imo ,yes it would be satisfactory to go and get it on her behalf.

You have written all this down - get her to sign it when she collects child, but I bet she sends someone else tonight - cheeky

If this happened to me I would be refusing care full stop - I would ring her now ask her to collect lo immediately. Don't go on fb, you will only get upset as has been said she will talk a load of she sounds like a flighty piece of work thank god she doesn't look after anyone else's children and good luck to her own kids - out of date meds is like playing Russian Roulette

You certainly have done the right thing not to give the out of date piriton - take a picture of the bottle and the date as evidence, not that I think you will need it but it's good to have.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Becci26 View Post
    You are joking!! You are absolutely within your rights to withold this medication if it is out of date, the consequences could be far worse if they had a reaction to out of date medicine! She will (of course) not be giving the whole story on fb as she wont want to look bad, so just ignore these comments, if she did report you, you have done nothing wrong so nothing to worry about.

You have written up an incident form and I would go and buy some piriton myself (but ensure it is exactly the same one), have they rehomed the cat?! I do hope so, it's not fair on the poor child!!
    I wouldn't buy any and administer as it wouldn't be the bottle that parent supplied (which of course you can't give as it's extremely out of date) - I'm sure the child won't get worse if you don't have a cat, if they do you will just have to phone the mother to collect. You may want to give the mother some kind of polite written warning about posting untruths about you on a social network site - damaging your good reputation etc.

6. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be dealing with these very serious issues separately.

First of all the medicine. No, you cannot give out of date medicine and mum is very wrong to ask you to. As well as writing everything up I would take a photo of the date on the bottle to add to your records.
    Has she actually taken the child to the GP and been told to give Piriton, or has she just decided that herself? If it has been advised, how long should the child take it for? If he has been taking it since Friday that is quite a time to be taking it without medical advice, but if she did see the GP I would have thought they'd issue a prescription for it. I wouldn't give any at all (assuming she gets a new bottle) until it is certain whether it's been recommended, prescribed, or self diagnosed. If he's not scratching today, how do you know he actually needs it? You could be in trouble for buying & administering a medicine that isn't needed.

Secondly, Facebook. I would take a photo of the screen and present it to her at collection. If it were me, I would also hand over a letter terminating the contract with immediate effect and informing her you will take legal advice if anything else is written, other than an apology. But you're probably more tolerant than me, so just give her a warning & tell her to apologise on her page!

She is treating you with so little respect that you need to get firm. You've shown you can do it by refusing the medicine, so show her you won't take any nonsense with regards to facebook.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok thanks guys, no he is ok here,no cats, and he isn't sore and puffy like last week!

I did think i wouldn't be able to buy any, so thanks for reassurance!

Yes a little written warning. Would feel fantastic actually! X

9. Likes Mouse liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This happened to me with nurofen. I went and brought more (obv not the same rules as you guys as I'm a nanny) the mum hadn't realised and had been given him it! Don't know if it's just because of my job that I check medicine as i don't have kids of my own but to me it's common sense! Some mothers really to give the impression that they don't care!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I would be dealing with these very serious issues separately. First of all the medicine. No, you cannot give out of date medicine and mum is very wrong to ask you to. As well as writing everything up I would take a photo of the date on the bottle to add to your records. Has she actually taken the child to the GP and been told to give Piriton, or has she just decided that herself? If it has been advised, how long should the child take it for? If he has been taking it since Friday that is quite a time to be taking it without medical advice, but if she did see the GP I would have thought they'd issue a prescription for it. I wouldn't give any at all (assuming she gets a new bottle) until it is certain whether it's been recommended, prescribed, or self diagnosed. If he's not scratching today, how do you know he actually needs it? You could be in trouble for buying & administering a medicine that isn't needed. Secondly, Facebook. I would take a photo of the screen and present it to her at collection. If it were me, I would also hand over a letter terminating the contract with immediate effect and informing her you will take legal advice if anything else is written, other than an apology. But you're probably more tolerant than me, so just give her a warning & tell her to apologise on her page! She is treating you with so little respect that you need to get firm. You've shown you can do it by refusing the medicine, so show her you won't take any nonsense with regards to facebook.
    Thanks I will print screen the fb now, I am little shocked she has had the audacity to leave it on, knowing that we have mutual friends!

I advised going to docs, but she said they had no time, poor child, and this bottle is clearly from the back of the cupboard! He was. Awful last week, puffy, and sore and had a horrendous rash. That has all cleared, and when I asked about the kitten, That's still there, so surely unless it's removed or little one is on medicine all the time, the allergy will return!

How she can say she has no time to take her child to the docs, but has time to be nasty about me, guilty conscience I think!!

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have a quiet, friendly word with her at pick up time. Just reinstate that you cannot administer out of date medicine and explain to her why. Explain to her that you are strictly unauthorised under Ofsted and if you were to administer it you would get into a lot of trouble
    Explain to her that administering medicines of any kind to a child has to have strict rules and paperwork to protect both yourself and the child.

She just probably thinks you're being awkward Just ask her what she would do as a parent (truthfully) if her child was to come out in a worse rash because the medicine was out of date and it was you who had given it to him. If she thinks about this she will hopefully understand.

Also, if you feel brave enough just smile and add that you would appreciate it if your name isn't mentioned on her facebook page again.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

13. Likes Maza liked this post
    Sept 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You have completely done the right thing not giving extremely out of date meds and I can't believe Mum would be so disrespectful towards you on fb when you even offered to help rectify HER mistake by going out and buying more...as if she didn't have a few quid so you could!

I completely agree with Hector's House, you need to address the fb issue head on with some kind of warning as that sort of libellous act (is that the right word?!) is a) completely undeserved and b) extremely detrimental to your business. Is she going to do that every time you play by the rules and she says its ok to bend them?! You can't live like that and shouldn't have to put up with someone bad mouthing you, especially in such a public way. Completely unacceptable! I'm so cross for you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post
    I would have a quiet, friendly word with her at pick up time. Just reinstate that you cannot administer out of date medicine and explain to her why. Explain to her that you are strictly unauthorised under Ofsted and if you were to administer it you would get into a lot of trouble Explain to her that administering medicines of any kind to a child has to have strict rules and paperwork to protect both yourself and the child. She just probably thinks you're being awkward Just ask her what she would do as a parent (truthfully) if her child was to come out in a worse rash because the medicine was out of date and it was you who had given it to him. If she thinks about this she will hopefully understand. Also, if you feel brave enough just smile and add that you would appreciate it if your name isn't mentioned on her facebook page again.
    She didn't actually use my name, she called me, and I quote "****** mary f****ng poppins" I want to laugh about it now but. I was shocked to see that first thing this morning! X

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

That's appalling actually....I would be fuming and I think I too would give notice for this....... what an awful thing to say
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

17. Likes ziggy liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

She didn't actually use my name, she called me, and I quote "****** mary f****ng poppins" I want to laugh about it now but. I was shocked to see that first thing this morning! X

OMW!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I think she has just realised what a potentially awful thing she has done all weekend to her child, and needs someone to blame. I hope. She has never behaved like this before. I do need to talk to her about it though, I feel myself want to laugh it off, and then I get quite upset About it again.

I'm going to try to type something up, so. That. When I talk to her its a little more coherent. There is no one else to pick up so I know she will be here later.

sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

maybe i am over sensitive but i would be phoning her to collect child and giving immediate notice if she put anything at all about me on facebook. What she has written is unforgiveable (in my opinion).

I havent spoken to my mother for nearly a year after she repeatedly put nasty comments on facebook about me and my daughter (long boring story)

as for medicine, of course you did right thing but even if you were at fault that doesnt give her the right to make awful comments on facebook

good luck

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I think she has just realised what a potentially awful thing she has done all weekend to her child, and needs someone to blame. I hope. She has never behaved like this before. I do need to talk to her about it though, I feel myself want to laugh it off, and then I get quite upset About it again.

I'm going to try to type something up, so. That. When I talk to her its a little more coherent. There is no one else to pick up so I know she will be here later.
    On a lighter side - ********* Mary ******** Poppins is a bit funny from where i'm standing anyway i've just typed into google for images - go on do it - have a laugh!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I know for some strange reason Mary bleeping poppins did make me giggle a little!

I spoke to mom at pick up, I said whatever her feelings towards me, she should always come to me first, not only did she falsely portray what happened, but potentially damaged my business, she apologised profusely before bursting into tears, the status has since been deleted and replaced with one saying something along the lines of calming down and thinking before saying such nasty things!

I also said to her if anything like this happens again with regards to both medicine and Facebook, then I will ask her to seek other childcare. I don't think I've ever sounded so stern and professional!

I do think something odd is happening at home though so maybe she is just not in the right frame of mind, she has never behaved like this before!! Thanks for all your support xx

23. Likes ziggy, Koala, Maza, Goatgirl, Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I am glad you spoke to her and have made it clear you won't tolerate being treated like that in the future. X

25. Likes Goatgirl liked this post