What sort of contract do I need for this???
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What sort of contract do I need for this???

Hi, I currently have a little boy every Tuesday. His mum has asked if I can have his sister just for 2 days in a few weeks- that's just for those 2 days, it's not going to be a regular thing. Do I need a contract for this, or rather what sort of contract should I use? I currently use the Pacey contracts for my regular mindees, but I feel that even their short term contracts aren't suitable in this case, as they're still for children who are coming with regularity for a specific period. I'm know I need the child record form, permission forms etc to cover myself, but I'm a bit baffled how to deal with the contract really. Also I use the Pacey attendance registers and accounts books- is it ok to just add her name into the income section of the accounts book, and into the weekly attendance register? For those of you who use Pacey bookwork, what about the section in the attendance book that asks for a summary of all mindees on a specific day- Do I just leave her out of that as she's not a permanent fixture?

I'm a bit baffled with it to be honest- has anyone else here ever just looked after their mindees' siblings on a "one-off" or occasional basis? What paperwork did you do? I certainly don't want to say no to the extra money!

Maria.

Glitter Guest

If the child is only coming for two days as a one off I would write my own basic contract. I would include that you will care for the child on the following dates...., the amount to be paid (in advance) and the date it is due, and some basic terms and conditions (e.g. You will care for the child in accordance with your policies and procedures, and information about illness or cancellation costs).

I'm afraid I don't use the Pacey books any more, but I'm sure someone will be able to help soon.

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If there is even the smallest possibility of a repeat one-off then I use a Pacey long term contract and just cross out the hours bit and write ad hoc care. I know there's a cost to this but it means you are able to get Pacey legal advice if you need it. Plus everything is covered (policies, fees paid up front etc.). I sell it to parents as less paperwork for them (and me) in the long run. Then as long as I am booked and paid each time, there's no need to do more paperwork.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sing-low View Post
    If there is even the smallest possibility of a repeat one-off then I use a Pacey long term contract and just cross out the hours bit and write ad hoc care. I know there's a cost to this but it means you are able to get Pacey legal advice if you need it. Plus everything is covered (policies, fees paid up front etc.). I sell it to parents as less paperwork for them (and me) in the long run. Then as long as I am booked and paid each time, there's no need to do more paperwork.
    This is pretty much what I'd do.

First up, don't do anything without a contract, no matter how small.

I'd only use the pacey short-term contracts strictly as intended. That is, for a period less than a month, with all dates and times fully agreed in advance and no changes likely, and no likelihood of a repeat in future. This sort of contract has a built-in notice period, in that terminates on the last day of care (a sort of contractual self-destruct feature.)

In your situation, I'd do an open-ended contract on an ad hoc basis, and get all the known dates signed for on one of my ad hoc booking forms.

How you record the girl's attendance is up to you, but you must do so as a statutory requirement. IIRC (I used the NCMA register from my welcome pack, but then created my own to suit my own needs) the daily grid is there to demonstrate that you're working within ratios for the number and ages of children present. In many ways, it's to help the inspector by having it all nicely laid out rather than expecting them to think for themselves.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

When I do one-off care I write up my own contract, incorporating child info and permissions.

It runs to 3 or 4 pages, but covers everything I want it to.

I personalise it for each child, so everyone is slightly different, but is relevant to the requirements of each family.