Very few hours contract for 2 year old
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Very few hours contract for 2 year old

Hi there lovely people. Just wondering.... would any of you take on a 2 year old for an hour and a quarter from 3pm on one day a week? It's to cover a regular appointment that the parent has but they don't need to send her for any more than that as one parent is at home pretty much full time. Can you see any pitfalls with the arrangement? Would you have a minimum charge? How much would you expect to do in terms of obs etc.? The child would be coming on the school run from 3.10 until 3.40 TIA

Sept 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I can't help with obs etc as I'm in a similar situation as I've been asked to take a 1 yr old for 1-2 hours a week. As long as you don't mind giving one of your spaces (I don't as I like just having 2 under 3's so this is bonus money) I can't see an issue with it but be interested to see the responses. I will be charging a minimum fee of £10 as any less just doesn't seem worth the hassle & mum to provide nappies, wipes and any food.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

might sound like a heartless question but how long would it take to earn back the money you will be spending on paperwork etc? is it worth your time? would the child and you ever really get to know each other? its hard work with one so young if you dont have a bond x just beware x

jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

make it clear that if a full time child needed space you would have to let her go.the other thing I would do if either charge an enhanced rate or minimum hours

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I look after a 20mth old for 2 hours a week. It works well. She's very well settled and has always come in very happily. She loves coming to see her little friends. I charge £10 for 2 hours, which is my minimum charge.

It works well for me as I have one child goes home at 1pm and this one arrives at 1.30pm. I wasn't particularly looking to fill the afternoon space, but her carer asked me if I would do it, so I said yes.

As far as paperwork goes we have a contract, permissions & child records as normal. I don't do a LJ. I have a scrapbook of photos that I'm complete for her. I put little comments about what she's been doing, which toys she likes etc. She will be moving on to a new family at some time, so it's mainly to make sure she has a record of this aspect of her early life.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Very useful responses all of you, thank you!

Aug 201
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't bother unless they pay you top whack. Is it really worth it for only £20 a mnth? No.

Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I look after a 20mth old for 2 hours a week. It works well. She's very well settled and has always come in very happily. She loves coming to see her little friends. I charge £10 for 2 hours, which is my minimum charge.

It works well for me as I have one child goes home at 1pm and this one arrives at 1.30pm. I wasn't particularly looking to fill the afternoon space, but her carer asked me if I would do it, so I said yes.

As far as paperwork goes we have a contract, permissions & child records as normal. I don't do a LJ. I have a scrapbook of photos that I'm complete for her. I put little comments about what she's been doing, which toys she likes etc. She will be moving on to a new family at some time, so it's mainly to make sure she has a record of this aspect of her early life.
    Wow mouse those time slots couldn't be better even if you picked them yourself!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
    Wow mouse those time slots couldn't be better even if you picked them yourself!
    I did pick them really. The carer was very flexible about when she came to me, so I told her the hours I had free and she chose which ones she wanted

10. Likes Tulip liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clairer View Post
    I wouldn't bother unless they pay you top whack. Is it really worth it for only £20 a mnth? No.
    But if you charge a minimum of £10 that's £40 a month, One month's pay covers the annual Ofsted fee

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I apply a minimum charge of £10 for any one day or session.

The level of obs required will depend to a certain extent on whether she attends any other EY settings. If she doesn't, then you will be her 'main' setting and therefore required to complete the Progress Check at Age 2 for one thing. CMs cannot just not do the EYFS L&D requirements just because a child isn't attending very much. OTOH, you can keep the amount of obs in proportion to the time they spend with you.

Pitfalls:-
    Will the child settle if not with you much? (OTOH, 45 minutes with an unsettled child is not, to be brutally honest, gonna kill either of you.)
    Unless you can imaginatively integrate L&D into the school run (which is challenging, but entirely achievable nonetheless) you have 15 minutes to do L&D each week.

There are 2 ways of looking at the money. Is it worth doing it for so little income? Conversely, is it worth not doing it for so little trouble?

As far as impact on your grading is concerned - I suppose it could count against you if you had no other EY children on role through which to demonstrate your true abilities, and you got a strictly-by-the-book inspector who made no allowances for the time available, etc. This is one of the things I hate about over-regulation: you try to accommodate a mum with unorthodox needs, or a challenging child, and it can drag you down if your inspector is inflexible.
    Personally I'd do it - to help the real people (mum & lo) - and say "stuff Ofsted" (but then if Ofsted stuffed me back, all you guys would have 4 years of me moaning about it to look forward to on the forum.)
    Last edited by bunyip; 23-11-2013 at 01:57 PM.