Tablets and aps and generally cutting down on the paperwork!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tablets and aps and generally cutting down on the paperwork!

Hi everyone, apologies if this has already been asked several times! (I've done a search on aps and computer tools but couldn't find what I was after!)

I'm currently an early years teacher but halfway through my training to be a childminder and wanting to get organised ready for registration in January.

One thing I hate about teaching is how much of my house is taken up with files and folders, especially when everythings on the computer as well anyways. We have recently been allowed at school to purchase iPads and have the 2 build a profile ap on it which has saved tonnes of work with the observations, linking it to development matters ages and stages etc and reduced the printing significantly. However, I have found some issues which I'll mention in a bit.

When I decided to be a childminder I thought about investing in a tablet device (currently I don't have one, only laptop) with the view that I could use it solely for the business and essentially have all the important documents I need on it thus using much less space in my house and saving me a fortune in printing. So in theory I could have my accounts, policies and procedures, planning, observations etc. all on one device. Obviously I would back this up with an external hard-drive so I wouldn't lose everything if anything happened to it but it would mean if Mrs O came by and wanted to know anything it would all be relatively easy to find, all to hand and all backed up. Would also mean I could email anything to parents etc and only one device to keep track of as far as data protection and safeguarding were concerned.

My main questions are; are many of you using these? have they saved you much time/effort/money? What failings or limitations do they have? What other options are there to the 2 build a profile and what are the advantages/disadvantages of these?

I asked my LA training course providers but they had no experience whatsoever with technology so very much promoted old-school learning journeys but did affirm my suspicions that the childminders in the area getting the best gradings with Ofsted were all using them. My main issue with 2 build is maybe just me, but as yet I haven't found a way to review all areas for a specific child to see where the gaps are. For example, I can take a photo, tag the child, tag the objectives achieved on one day, if at the end of a half term I want to see where gaps are appearing I'm having to view all observations manually and work out what's missing. There is probably a way round this but it would also be a good tool to be able to compare similar children as if there's a few at the same stage who have similar gaps you can plan better learning opportunities to plug those gaps. I'm also not sure if that could be used alone as a full "learning journey" in which case is it doubling my workload?

Any advice would be very much appreciated as I really don't want to waste money on aps and technology!

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2 Simple

Hi, i've recently become registered and have a 2 year old starting full time on Monday. I'm hoping 2 Simple will work for me but not sure how many pictures/observations to do in one day. I can certainly let you know how it goes after a couple of weeks.

L

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Part of your decision will be based on what parents want - if they are not interested in engaging electronically then you will need to be flexible to suit them!

Also it's really important that children are involved in their learning documents ... I think that would be more difficult online so you'd be printing and ink costs would be very high...

It's also very important that security is considered and that you are registered with Data Protection and Freedom of Information advice | ICO.org.uk.

Hope that helps a little

4. Likes The Juggler liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks Sarah, yes registering with ICO is on my list of things to do! lol. Working through them slowly. From my school experience I know the children like commenting on their obs on the ipads, they love seeing the photos and its easy to type their comments and feedback. I suppose parents could have the LJ's printed off and comment or I could scan/type their comments up. Well after asking colleagues instead of narrowing down the options I've ended up with more. I've now been given the names of: 2 build a Profile, Orbit, Look at Me, Tapestry, Fingertips and Interactive Learning Diary to research! I might sign up for as many free trials as I can in January and use my son as a guinee pig for the first few weeks! lol. I'm amazed there doesn't seem to be a comprehensive guide for early years people on this. Childminders don't have money to spare signing up for every single one. And good luck lollylolita!

6. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

8. Likes MessybutHappy, Kiddleywinks, joannes liked this post
    Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Very interesting reading!! I'm like the OP - I'd love to go paperless, but I as I suspected, there is no ideal system...yet!

Post Thanks / Like

wow! sarah that was AMAZINGLY helpful! thank you. can't believe that ******** though!! I hadn't heard of them prior to your post so clearly not that brilliant. Have you had any experience with Look at me, fingertips or Interactive Learning Diary? They're the only other ones I've heard of. I definitely think ICT (as much as I curse it when it fails!) is the way to go. Especially when there's only me doing all roles including SENCO, Child protection, assessment, inclusion, business manager etc. My house will be taken over enough without making it a house of paper! lol
    Last edited by Rick; 23-11-2013 at 07:44 AM.

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Well it was certainly that!

12. Likes joannes liked this post
    Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a 2 Simple convert thru and thru

I'm ashamed to say I am still using their free app but will upgrade and pay them soon.
    I do all the obs w photos and drop down menu with outcomes from my phone then print out and stick in LJ
    You can delete after use.

I agree a system that shows dev gaps would be good. I find - just reading the levels every time i I re-do the Indiv plan (once half termly) is enough to get an over view.
    You get to know your children so well that gaps jump out by themselves.
    Very very different from school teaching (I was also one previously)
    'It's never too late to have a happy childhood' ( Tom Robinson)

Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been using BD for almost 2 years now and have found it extremely good. It is very straightforward and the improvements which have been added in the last few months have made it even better. The ability to track progress of children is fantastic and when I did a 2 year old check it was simple for the parent to received and comment upon. The only section I don't use is the accounts as I have a system which works well for me on Excel already. The invoicing etc is great and there is even the accident and medication records on line which are accessed by PIN codes by parents.

Overall, although it is the most expensive system I look at it as being the cost of visiting a toddler group each week. Not a lot at all for all the benefits I get.

Can't recommend it enough.
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

Post Thanks / Like

I did look at BD but after the abuse and bullying on Sarah's blog and their FB groups and other forums I've decided well and truly to stay clear! Shame really as they looked good. But businesses trade on reputation and their ain't great for customer service and marketing. I think I will be asking Santa for a tablet for Christmas and use January to have a play about with some of the trials for those not used yet and a couple of my fave's from Sarah's blog.

Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Just goes to show how some social media can be high jacked by people. I just judge by what I have seen for myself. I have not seen anything unfavourable to be honest.
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!