Observations help pls!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Per-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi all, I'm a bit confused about how much to write per observation, I was told on a course to do a long detailed observation once a week and then told by co-ordinator to stick a photo in and just write a sentence such as 'look at me! I can walk on my own' she said the picture tells the story and also said that I don't need to put under obs which area of learning it covers as I'm dating and page referencing from dmatters. Any advice would be most appreciated as I'm due my Ofsted inspection :-/ X x

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bakez66 View Post
    Hi all, I'm a bit confused about how much to write per observation, I was told on a course to do a long detailed observation once a week and then told by co-ordinator to stick a photo in and just write a sentence such as 'look at me! I can walk on my own' she said the picture tells the story and also said that I don't need to put under obs which area of learning it covers as I'm dating and page referencing from dmatters. Any advice would be most appreciated as I'm due my Ofsted inspection :-/ X x

I do 1-2 a week, planned then any wow moments (for a full timer) A picture does tell a story but I feel it needs more than that!

how did the child respond? where they delighted? how could you tell?

I have always been taught so what?

what does what your writing mean (does that make sense?)

so little one started walking...

after a few wobbly moments XX took some steps today, they smiled at me, looking up for reassurance, I praised them, "well done XX, your walking" clapping. This shows a much better picture

I link all my observations, if they warrant writing down, I link them (even if I only pop it under the area, not the breakdown)

3. Likes Bakez66 liked this post
    Per-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face

Thank you! That really helps :-). Can u link one picture to say 3 different areas or should u only link it to one? X

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You can link to however many you like but always think "why am I writing this and what for" to help you not do too much and stick to the point.

Per-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou! Really appreciate your help (both of you)! I better Finnish off these learning journeys :-) x x

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bakez66 View Post
    Thank you! That really helps :-). Can u link one picture to say 3 different areas or should u only link it to one? X
    Most things link to more. It depends if planned or a wow

If planned I have ideas already of what I am looking for, or what I would like to see?

Does that make sense?

I have a lo who I have never seen build with wooden blocks or threading buttons so I planned to observe them doing this - why? they are due their 2 yr check and dad asked if he did it here as won't at home. So I planned and linked to what I was watching for and how the child responded. Next steps to put pasta into a bottle, play dough ect for fine motor skills

Hope that helps x