Paperwork for incident/accident/medication, etc.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Paperwork for incident/accident/medication, etc.

I've been using NCMA/pacey forms for incident/accident/medication, etc. I find this rather wasteful due to the way the forms are sold in packs: eg. I end up using lots of 'existing injury' forms whilst being left with dozens of unused forms for concerns and body diagrams.

I've considered designing my own forms, but wonder what everyone else does. What experience have members had with Ofsted inspectors, LSCBs, courts and other agencies over using home-produced paperwork?

My local preschool only uses a blank duplicate book and hand-writes everything in there. DO any CMs do the same?

ALl replies appreciated - thanks.

2. Likes N/A, Rubybaby liked this post
    Feb 200
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been thinking the same thing recently so will be interested to read the replies :-)

June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have one Accident/Incident book and one Medical book. It is just a plain exercise book with lined paper.

A&I book: Name, date, time, location, nature of injury/accident, carer signature, parental signature.

M book: Name, date, time, medication, dosage, method, carer signature, parental signature.

Each child is written on a separate page for confidentiality reasons. Cheap and cheerful and it is always written down quickly. I dont need forms to waste my time with. Parents are always in a rush and cant wait for me to fill in silly forms.

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I designed my own form and keep.a few blanks printed off in the back of my register so they are handy Once completed they are filed in the child's info folder. If parent wants a copy I just photocopy it on my printer.

Ofsted have always been happy with this

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Watching this thread as I have just moved to MM so finishing off my pacey ones!!

When I worked in a preschool they had really simple forms maybe I should play around and post to see what y'all think x

jan 85
    Post Thanks / Like

Ever since I started minding, I've always recorded accidents and injuries on the back of the los Record of Information. Ofsted have always thought it a good idea as-
    1. No-one except the relevant parents and Ofsted ever see it.
    2. If ever there's a query I can find it immediately rather than hunting through a book/several books.
    3. All paperwork for children who move on from me is kept until they're 21yrs 3 months so I just have to open their file and there's every accident or pre-existing injury.
    4. Medication forms are stapled into the back of their Daily Diary. Every year when I start a new diary I take out the form/s and staple them to the Record of info so that they're all in the same place.

works for me

8. Likes hectors house liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I designed my own forms for minor injuries as found the same as Bunyip that ended up buying whole new pack when I only needed some of the forms. My form can be used for Existing minor injuries or minor injuries that happen here - I still use the NCMA form for a more serious injury or if I wanted to document a concern.

my form similar to NCMA accident form but on a small slip of paper - all parents have a couple of Existing minor injury slips at home that they are supposed to fill out before bringing child and I have a couple pinned to my notice board too. I file them in the NCMA medication/accident book but may change to lilacdragons idea of filing with child's record form.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    I've been using NCMA/pacey forms for incident/accident/medication, etc. I find this rather wasteful due to the way the forms are sold in packs: eg. I end up using lots of 'existing injury' forms whilst being left with dozens of unused forms for concerns and body diagrams.

I've considered designing my own forms, but wonder what everyone else does. What experience have members had with Ofsted inspectors, LSCBs, courts and other agencies over using home-produced paperwork?

My local preschool only uses a blank duplicate book and hand-writes everything in there. DO any CMs do the same?

ALl replies appreciated - thanks.
    As long as the forms are counter signed by parents they will stand up to scrutiny and are valid
    Ofsted or anybody else for that reason

I too have my own forms...one page and it does the job beautifully and have been approved in my last 5 inspections
    They are private...so for each child, kept in their folder...very cheap to print for each child

You could devise your own....do a table on your computer
    with name of child, date accident happened, where, what you did, sign and countersigned by parents

In mine accident in my setting are entered in BLUE and those elsewhere entered in RED...voila...job done and tress saved
    Does anyone else have their own?

Same for medication and administration...one form per child, one page, all details recorded and stored safely in each child folder and ready to access at any time
    Last edited by Simona; 09-09-2013 at 09:12 AM.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lilac_dragon View Post
    Ever since I started minding, I've always recorded accidents and injuries on the back of the los Record of Information. Ofsted have always thought it a good idea as-
    1. No-one except the relevant parents and Ofsted ever see it.
    2. If ever there's a query I can find it immediately rather than hunting through a book/several books.
    3. All paperwork for children who move on from me is kept until they're 21yrs 3 months so I just have to open their file and there's every accident or pre-existing injury.
    4. Medication forms are stapled into the back of their Daily Diary. Every year when I start a new diary I take out the form/s and staple them to the Record of info so that they're all in the same place.

works for me
    The only trouble with this is when the child leaves you where does the record go? You are required by your insurance company to keep Accident/Incident records until that child's 21st birthday because when the child reaches 18 they can lodge a claim against you in their own right. For this reason when a child leaves me I keep a photo of them and their parents, their Contract, all attendance records along with the Accident/Incident/Medication Records. I do this because I am under no illusion, I wouldn't remember ever child I have ever had in my care.

12. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    The only trouble with this is when the child leaves you where does the record go? You are required by your insurance company to keep Accident/Incident records until that child's 21st birthday because when the child reaches 18 they can lodge a claim against you in their own right. For this reason when a child leaves me I keep a photo of them and their parents, their Contract, all attendance records along with the Accident/Incident/Medication Records. I do this because I am under no illusion, I wouldn't remember ever child I have ever had in my care.
    I see no reason why Lilac_dragon forms should not be stored for years and years...her system is sound and very similar to mine where all records are stored in an Off roll file for quick reference especially when a complaint arises and stored for life.

Yes we all have a unique way of recording ...is a pacey form better than any other? or MM?..it is what works for each one of us ...however...why use some else's form that costs money and is very bureaucratic when a simpler system may work?

I would assume that agencies too will introduce their forms in future...at a cost too... so ALL cms do the same paperwork...easy to monitor and account for to Ofsted

14. Likes lilac_dragon liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The trouble is that the same paper work does not suit all so it will be very difficult to make all good cm conform to one method. One of the big flaws of Agencies.

I 'd love to see the Government ask all Accountants to use the same paperwork as each other.

16. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

I made up my own too. I call it an "incident form" and use it for anything...pre existing, accident in my care, and could be used as the starting point for recording concerns. I have a picture of a body so I can show where an injury is/was as this is often easier than trying to describe it!
    Any completed ones are kept with each child's paperwork. It's personal to the child so that seemed logical to me!

18. Likes N/A liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    The trouble is that the same paper work does not suit all so it will be very difficult to make all good cm conform to one method. One of the big flaws of Agencies.

I 'd love to see the Government ask all Accountants to use the same paperwork as each other.
    Well... we won't have long to wait to hear how cms on the trials feedback about how agencies will reduce the 'burden' of paperwork!
    I assume those who run agencies will only be able to stick to theirs...imagine if they had to monitor each cm with her/his own paperwork and using various methods of accountancy??
    Good luck to them!

jan 85
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    I see no reason why Lilac_dragon forms should not be stored for years and years...her system is sound and very similar to mine where all records are stored in an Off roll file for quick reference especially when a complaint arises and stored for life.

Yes we all have a unique way of recording ...is a pacey form better than any other? or MM?..it is what works for each one of us ...however...why use some else's form that costs money and is very bureaucratic when a simpler system may work?

I would assume that agencies too will introduce their forms in future...at a cost too... so ALL cms do the same paperwork...easy to monitor and account for to Ofsted
    You're quite right Simona -they ARE kept for years and years and years !

Rickysmiths - since I started Childminding, almost 30 years ago now, I've had VERY few children who haven't stayed with me until they are in their teens, therefore their enormous piles of paperwork are kept by me. My attic is going to come down and join me one of these days. If I had to use a First Aid book I would never know which book contained what. This works for me.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i made my own of everything registers, permission forms, accidnet and incident and medication

i used individual sheets and kept them in child's file.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Post Thanks / Like

I make all my own forms too. Ofsted were fine with them but none have been tested in court or used by other agencies.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Mar 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Bunyip,I was thinking the very same thing this evening while attempting a paperwork cull. I didn't get very far as I was swamped by vast amounts of the same stuff you mentioned, while finding myself short of copies of said record form.
    I have no qualms about making my own obs, planning and other forms, but do feel a bit daunted by the idea of not using an 'official' accident form!
    I've been inspired by some of the ideas on here, though, and it does make a lot of sense ... as well as saving time and money, it could free up a bit of space (I've got so many files, folders etc and it all takes over the house)
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this..I think a lot of us just need a bit of confidence to 'go it alone', so to speak! x

sept 20
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a blank duplicate book (as recommended by another CM who got the idea from a playgroup who also use this method). I write everything in that is on the forms that I used to use and get parents to sign it and then give them a copy. This works for me as I drop off one child at home and meet another parent at school for handover so it is far easier to take a small book than separate forms or a folder for them to sign.

Not sure if there is anything wrong with this method but it contains all the info needed and includes the parents signature.