Is my planning and observation a bit long-winded?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is my planning and observation a bit long-winded?

So currently i have
    -long term planning. A yearly chart, with the months, what our loose topic is for those months (like 'spring' for April, quite open-ended) and a list of festivals and celebrations for that month. This is very useful.
    -Termly planning. A chart for the term with an adult initiated activity a day on it, a messy play activity for the week and the nursery rhymes we'll be learning that term, all loosely related to our topic. Also a chart of the toys and resources we have out (I rotate them) and what area of learning they fit into. Also incredibly useful.
    - I've also been doing a planning sheet for each adult initiated activity we do on the chart. Area of learning, tools, key words to use, adult imput, variations for each child and an evaluation of the activity, including observations of the children's progress and improvements that can be made to the activity.

The last one is incredibly time consuming and not particularly useful. It struck me that things like observation and evaluation of activities is in their learning journals already (although i don't always put all of the adult-lead activities in the learning journal as we often repeat things).

Is the last one a bit unnecessary?

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

if you are finding it is not useful, then stop doing it! just scribble down the things that ARE useful.

I do a long term plan ... like yours,
    a vague termly plan of ideas linked to months/books/themes/seasons whatever!
    and then a weekly plan of outings such as toddlers, woods, library etc and any activities I have planned to do with the children ( ie this week we are planting seeds ), activities available for the children/self selection and any individual ideas for each child (taken from things they had done/been interested in the previous week)

I then scribble all over my weekly plan as things change/activities do or don't work etc.

xx

3. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, at least i'm on the right track!

So should i be doing an individual plan for each child instead? Or is the 'next steps' on the learning journal enough?

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a yearly theme sort of plan.
    Then a weekly sheet spilt into areas of learning, on that i put on any next steps identified from learning journal observations, any requests from parents (johnny would like to paint today) any child requests or anything I've identified as child's interest and want to build on,next to each thing is child's initials who I plan for/do the activity