Blanket permission for Calpol
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Blanket permission for Calpol

I was advised by my DO officer today to get a blanket permission to give children calpol if they become ill in my setting, without having to contact parents first. I was just wondering if everyone else does this, I'm a bit concerned as I know some parents don't always 'remember' to tell me if they have given their child Calpol or similar before arriving and what if I overdose the child. Also if a parent doesn't use Calpol then does that mean I have to provide what the child normally takes.

Cathy.

Registered Childminder since
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have one which is signed with permission forms. Then all I have to do if a child becomes ill or has a temp is text or ring parents to let them know Im giving some. That gives them the opportunity to advise if they have already had some.
    Most parents use the diary to tell me if they've had some.

I have a couple of bottles named in my cupboard and a couple more in bags. If there is none I give my own which I don't like doing.
    I would rather have it in place in case a child develops a high temp. Otherwise it could rise higher whilst Im waiting for parent to collect.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a permission form to give medication when needed, but parents must provide this (it is in my medicine box, in the original box and labelled for each child)

If it has been 4 hours since the child was dropped off and they become ill, I will give medication and then let the parent know (I only give one dose during the day so if a child is ill and needs more, they need to be collected)

If it is within 4 hours I will call parent before giving any medicine to ensure that they have not had any before arriving!

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

It isn't something I have in place and the way I work medication seems to be ok - if parents are thinking LO might need carpool later, they sign when they drop off to tell me if they've given any already and what time I can give again if needed. Sometimes I don't need to but it's best to have it there ready, then they just sign when they collect.
    I tend not to keep anything at mine, named or not - just what parents send with the child that day.

Sarah x
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Nope if a child needs calpol it is generally because they have fever or unwell so they go home! I will give for example one I my little ones was saying their ear was sore (16months) so I phoned mum and got permission over the phone

(I do have some here for these moments if big temp and not coming down with cool flannel, stripping off clothes ect) but then I would have phones for collection anyway