Collection outside of setting question
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Collection outside of setting question

Hello all...me again (sorry) I've been extra flummoxed this week..

I'm not even sure where to post this , but just had a parent ask if it would be possible for her to collect her child from me at a school to which I'd be going(with her child) to pick up another child (or possibly 2 other children) at the end of their school day.This is all hypothetical at the moment , but does anyone have any experience of this?

Apart from the practicalities of handing over paperwork/stuff that might need a signature/items of clothing etc etc in the playground,the child would still be delivered safely to their parent, but I don't feel particularly comfy with the idea, and it just seemed a bit of an odd question!
    Any thoughts or advice would be welcome!

Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    Its Whatever suits you and what you feel comfortable with. I do pick up and drop off all over the place sometimes as it suits me if we're on a day out etc. I also bus children home if requested and it doesn't interfere with other mindies. I've never had to get an accident form signed though , but I would just take the sheet and duplicate in a Polly pocket rather than my whole folder.
    I will soon be dropping a child off at the same school the parent picks up sibling from on occasions as ill also be doing school pick up, and to have to bus 3 children home from wherever we are to then double back to get to school would be not much fun!

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've done collection and drop offs in the school playground before. Never had any issues. The flexibility of using a childminder! :-)

4. Likes christine e, bunyip, loocyloo liked this post
    Feb 200
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I use the daily diaries as med permission and accident forms for those children that I pick up and/or drop off. I have layout of med form in back of book for them to follow to give me all info needed, I photo copy this for my records when I get home and continue to complete both during the day with info and signatures, then give to parents sign both on drop off, photocopy goes in my folder and they have record in diary. Same for accidents etc. more diddly I guess but my NCMA books are too big to carry around.

apr 06
    Post Thanks / Like

I pick up and drop of in the playground twice a week, and have never had a problem, just take whatever bits with me.

In fact I prefer it, as parent doesn't hang around, and is never early to drop of or late to collect!

I would suggest you have something in the contract regarding days you don't need to go to school, as my in laws picked my girls up from school last week and I didn't need to go, so just got mum to collect but I did offer to drop of at home for an extra charge.

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

The only issue I could foresee is if parent is late, you can't be hanging around with mindees particularly in bad weather.

I would do it if it is convenient, but tell parent you will be continuing your day as usual and if she is late she will have to meet you at your next stop, which is probably at home.

What if you aren't at school some days - no collections, training days, school holidays, think it through.

8. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I pick up all Over the place but at my convenience- I ask parents to leave nappies wipes and change of clothes at my house so all I hand over is daily diary and any dirty clothes- sometimes art work etc but if I know there's a day where they collect from mine I leave art work at mine to be collected then. As others have said it is the good thing about being flexible and can be handy as no wondering when a parent will come etc. I have one I collect on way to school but wrote it in contract that it was only when I collected from school and I would let them know if they needed to drop him to me- this happened on a snow day this year for example. Also parents may want say 9-5 but if you are on a school run its sometimes easier to take the big ones into school ad then collect child at school gate at 9 than tell parents they will need to be here by 8:30 for school run then panic if they are late and they have to pay for more than they need etc.

10. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I have done loads of picks up/drop offs at the school my son attends and its never been a problem. I just hand over the childs bag and get anything signed that needs to be. I have never thought of any difficulties, just did it, you adapt. In the holidays those that still come are just dropped at my house. For my current mindie I do it for the school is in the middle of our houses, so its an easier option for all

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mum2two View Post
    I've done collection and drop offs in the school playground before. Never had any issues. The flexibility of using a childminder! :-)
    me too. at one point I picked up and dropped off all my mindees in the playground!
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Mar 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    me too. at one point I picked up and dropped off all my mindees in the playground!
    Thanks everyone for your ideas, really helpful!
    I'm new to schoolies, having recently said goodbye to the (almost)full timer I've cared for for almost 2 years, and finding my confidence a bit dented ... I don't want to be caught on the hop...especially not on the phone!!