Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    jun 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default jehovah witness do i need to do amy other paper work for these children

i have just found out 3 children in my care are studying to become jehovah witnesses how ill this affect my paper work and child care for them and other children in my care and is there any other childminders that have jehovah witness in their care ??? i know im am not allowed to celebrate holidays and birthdays with them does this mean they can have a bit of tommys birthday cake when he brings it in for the children ??? and with the people of the church even let me contunue to care for these children ??

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

My sister is a JW and I think you just need to chat about things that might be different. They might not want you to give their child a card for his bday, or they might be fine about it (esp if it's from the other children).

You may want to check the emergency medical procedure as JW's don't do blood transfusions (normally - check with parents).

Really you just need to chat to them, they know you aren't a JW but they have chosen to use you, in the same way if a jewish mother chose to use a muslim childminder, you just need to have a few conversations about what you do and don't do and make sure you are clear on your policies when it comes to equality of opportunity.

HTH
    Jx

3. Likes Polly2 liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Karen I have some school info which I am happy to email you - please PM me with your email address.

Thank you

jun 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks

pm you my email sara thanks

they took me on before they where johova witnesses, so all new to me do find it hard when handing out eater eggs to the kids that can have one and very hard to do it with out them seeing lol and surestart today was a mine field of easter activities lol so found it hard when you have children that are allowed to do anything and others that cant

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think parents will normally be happy if you re-direct the children to other activities - away from Easter and onto spring for example.

The best thing is always to talk to parents though. They might have to run some things past the elders to check if they are suitable and might choose to take children out for certain days - so it's best to keep in close contact with them about your activity planning.

I have sent the document for you. It is for schools but should mostly be relevant.

Sept 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Sarah's advice is good - redirection! If you are doing Easter then make lambs, or chicks, or flowers - something spring like. Cards can read 'I love you mummy' or 'happy spring'. If you are giving out eggs to children then just buy a bar of choccy or some sweetys instead!

Same with xmas you can make snowmen, robins, snowflakes, anything 'winter'. There is always something you can do that will ensure the children are not being left out while also not offending parents.

Of course they will let you carry on caring for children! That is parents choice. I would say a bit of brithday cake would be fine too!! Its just cake

Most importantly chat to parents about it as teacake said. They will appreciate you trying so hard!
    Last edited by Polly2; 28-03-2013 at 07:16 PM.

Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    My mum is a JW and the only one in our family. She will generally attend our childrens birthday parties but says just for a cup of tea and arrives after or sits out for singing, cake and presents. Growing up She used to still cook our Christmas dinner after joining the religion and eats all the extras over the festive season and adores Christmas pudding! It's all just food and family together eating . i don't think she would eat an egg , I've not offered her any.. It goes too quick lol. It's the celebration behind it that is the no go. Her reply to anyone is happy holidays.
    Don't panic about it and of course she will let you continue care! Say to the parents you don't want to offend so what does their religion mean for them, and how can you best support them.
    Hope that helps x

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say after reading these replies that THE most important part of this is talking through with parents. Partnership working with parents is key! I say this as my experience is different from some of the other responses on here and each situation can be different.

In my experience it is a steep learning curve and it is often not easy to balance the needs of all the children. For example it is not possible to have no mention of birthdays if it is one of my own children who are celebrating so I make sure my plans are shared with parents. This way they are able to make a decision as to whether they want their child to attend on a particular day.

Your family are still going to require care so see no reason why they would stop coming to you. Yes it may be a different way of working but in my experience it has been a positive one

10. Likes sarah707, loocyloo, Polly2 liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't be afraid of it! When I was a teacher my nursery nurse was a JW and after chatting with her I just made sure that I didn't plan for her to do Easter/Christmas/Diwali/Eid activities with the children, although they might be going on on the next table to her. She was very happy to do Spring/Winter themed activities instead. All the children sent her Christmas cards and she just pleasantly accepted them but never sent any herself. Obviously she was an adult and could speak for herself and refuse to do anything she wasn't comfortable with. As others have said, communication with parents is the key, they will appreciate that. Just because the festivals are not celebrated does not mean that they have to be taboo subjects, so just be open with parents about what you are planning to do and how you can adapt it. x

12. Likes Polly2 liked this post