is this a good enough reason to not work my four weeks notice?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 201
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default is this a good enough reason to not work my four weeks notice?

Right, I have been looking after a 6 yr old with challenging (to say the least) behaviour. I have today given notice to his mum.
    I had no problem working my four weeks notice until about 2 minutes after they left.
    Just before the child left, he went to the toilet - then straight home. My daughter went in there after, she trod in wee. Not so bad he's a boy after all...But there was wee everywhere and I mean everywhere, He hadn't lifted the lid of the toilet so it was covered, its up the wall, on the radiator, floor everywhere. He must have stood in the doorway and just done it. Im so angry. I just dont want him back in my house to be honest. I can't see how it could be an accident and he isnt ill.
    Can I terminate immediatley under section 2 M, bullet point one (page 4) of my NCMA contract:
    If the safety and well being of the childminder, their children or the children in the care are threatened by the parent/guardian or their child's behaviour?

NCMA are closed now so cant ask them.
    Opinions please.

Pat

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes if it says in your contract that you reserve the right to terminate immediately then you can do that.

I think the reason is justified - but make sure you have everything documented (including how you have worked with parents etc to support the child) just in case parents decide to make a complaint against you.

Hugs xx

sept 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have to give immediate notice for the sake of myself and my family. It's your home and you certainly shouldn't have to allow someone into your home to do this again. Totally unacceptable behaviour.

Alison X

Aug 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar situation once! I had given notice on a 3 year old because his behaviour was pretty bad and affecting the other children. 2 weeks into working notice he took his nappy off whilst I was preparing lunch, stood on the sofa in my playroom, put the poo from his nappy in his hands and smeared it all over my sofa and wall whilst weeing all over my sofa!!!!!! I contacted NCMA as I was beside myself and they agreed that I could terminate immediately! The mum went berserk when I told her and got very verbal through Facebook! The whole thing was really upsetting so I completely understand how u r feeling . Big hugs xxx

Post Thanks / Like

I too have been in same situation, and I gave immediate termination. x

Jan 201
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the support everyone, I was hoping that I hadn't overreacted. The thing is, he didn't know that i'd given notice. So he was quite prepared to do that and then come back tomorrow!
    Mum was very good and I don't 'think' she would make a complaint. i suppose you never know though. I mean what is she going to say? Her son piddled all over my bathroom, looks like the lino will have to be pulled up too as it's seeped under :-(

Jan 201
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I have spoken to the NCMA today and they haven't really helped.
    I was put through to their legal team who advised me that I have two options:
    * Continue with the family and work my four weeks notice - Get the parents to talk to the child about his unacceptable behaviour.
    * Terminate with immediate effect stating unreasonable behaviour as in the clause on my contract.
    They advised me that if I terrminate with immediate effect then the mum may counter claim against me for loss of earnings. What they wouldn't say is if they would back me up under those circumatances. I was just told, come back to us if it happens.

Well they were a lot of use!

I was supposed to have the child tonight but have told mum that I couldn't - too much stress and that I wanted to talk to her over the weekend about where we go from here.
    I feel so bad for Mum, and know that I am leaving her in the lurch but I don't know how I am meant to watch all the other children in my care for the next four weeks as I will have to pay this child so much attention.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If a 6yo did that in my home I would terminate immediately - I think you've got a very strong case. How awful for you, I'd be angry too x

Post Thanks / Like

Unbelievable behaviour! Good luck with which you route you decide to take.