Should I write planning down...
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  24
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Reg Jan
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Should I write planning down...

I only have under 2's (15 mth old & 10 month old) so find I don't really do much in the way of planned activities. I do some but never write it down, just child led really. We made xmas cards for mums & dads, have done finger painting etc but I never write it down. I do the learning journals with next steps etc & add photos of what they are doing so is this enough for this age group? I am just thinking ahead for when Ofsted come knocking as not had first graded inspection as yet! Anyone else on here just have littlies? what do you do! Thank you in advance & happy new year everyone

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

I do exactly the same as you. I also write in my own diary what the plan is for the day. For example going to a toddler group or on an outing. Half the time it gets changed. As long as you can show that the children are making progress and that you have next steps then you are doing more than enough. :-)
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

3. Likes lucyD liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lucyD View Post
    I only have under 2's (15 mth old & 10 month old) so find I don't really do much in the way of planned activities. I do some but never write it down, just child led really. We made xmas cards for mums & dads, have done finger painting etc but I never write it down. I do the learning journals with next steps etc & add photos of what they are doing so is this enough for this age group? I am just thinking ahead for when Ofsted come knocking as not had first graded inspection as yet! Anyone else on here just have littlies? what do you do! Thank you in advance & happy new year everyone
    Hi

I have a nearly 1 year old and a nearly 2 year old (nearly 3 year old only here 1 day currently). I did very similar activities, Xmas cards etc. I personally do write down planning, even if it's a card or even just a treasure basket. It's only a small table on an A4 sheet of paper. A column for the day, children present, planned activity, resources required and evaluation of activity (sounds more than it is). As the children get older they may wish to do something different to that planned. If that happens I would change the planning sheet to reflect what we did, so before the day it is planning, after the day it is a record with an evaluation.
    I prefer to know at a glance what I'm doing that week, even if it changes as it helps with resources and shows Ofsted I am evaluating my activities. Also I let the parents have a copy so they can see what I have planned and comment if necessary.
    I also do an individual planning sheet for each child, but this is only an A4 sheet for a 5 week period. Admittedly some of this sheet is on the weekly planning sheet but I suppose it shows I'm planning activities from the individual planning.

It's all down to preference, there is no right or wrong, just what works for you.

Hope this helps!

5. Likes lucyD, Rosy Days, lindyjeho liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My main mindee is 2 yo, as is my granddaughter who is often here.

I practise "retrospective planning".

Most activities are child-led, or I simply "put learning opportunities in the child's way" but make sure I document plenty of things. My 'planning diary' is mainly full of routine things like toddler groups, library and the occasional outing. All the learning journal entries have a 'next steps' item, even though this is often just "more practice of the same". I do evaluations on some (by no means all) activities. This forms the basis for measuring progress and what to do next; discussions with parents; and provides hard evisdence for Ofsted inspections. It's actually quite a simple and practical way of integrating things like observation, reflection, parental involvement, etc. without having to spend too much time just sitting and planning adult-led activities.

Ofsted seemed quite delighted with what I consider to be a rather simple and natural system, so I'm not going to argue if they're happy.

Reg Jan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_Knight View Post
    Hi

I have a nearly 1 year old and a nearly 2 year old (nearly 3 year old only here 1 day currently). I did very similar activities, Xmas cards etc. I personally do write down planning, even if it's a card or even just a treasure basket. It's only a small table on an A4 sheet of paper. A column for the day, children present, planned activity, resources required and evaluation of activity (sounds more than it is). As the children get older they may wish to do something different to that planned. If that happens I would change the planning sheet to reflect what we did, so before the day it is planning, after the day it is a record with an evaluation.
    I prefer to know at a glance what I'm doing that week, even if it changes as it helps with resources and shows Ofsted I am evaluating my activities. Also I let the parents have a copy so they can see what I have planned and comment if necessary.
    I also do an individual planning sheet for each child, but this is only an A4 sheet for a 5 week period. Admittedly some of this sheet is on the weekly planning sheet but I suppose it shows I'm planning activities from the individual planning.

It's all down to preference, there is no right or wrong, just what works for you.

Hope this helps!
    God that does help, I love how you do it It shows you work with parents too. Think if I now reflect & write down that I have reviewed how I do planning & carry on doing something like you do it shows Ofsted I am evaluating etc FAB!!! Going to be so cheeky now & ask if you could share your planning sheets? I wont copy them but it would give me an idea of where to start to do one of my own. Don't worry if you dont wish to I know its cheeky. Anyway thank you so much! Have you had your grading visit hun?

Reg Jan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    My main mindee is 2 yo, as is my granddaughter who is often here.

I practise "retrospective planning".

Most activities are child-led, or I simply "put learning opportunities in the child's way" but make sure I document plenty of things. My 'planning diary' is mainly full of routine things like toddler groups, library and the occasional outing. All the learning journal entries have a 'next steps' item, even though this is often just "more practice of the same". I do evaluations on some (by no means all) activities. This forms the basis for measuring progress and what to do next; discussions with parents; and provides hard evisdence for Ofsted inspections. It's actually quite a simple and practical way of integrating things like observation, reflection, parental involvement, etc. without having to spend too much time just sitting and planning adult-led activities.

Ofsted seemed quite delighted with what I consider to be a rather simple and natural system, so I'm not going to argue if they're happy.
    FANTASTIC! I will take all these thoughts on board! Thank you, need to sit down & think hard about how to do it, as rubbish with paperwork but this has helped, just need more hours in the day

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hope this helps!

Thanks for this Rick .. I've been pondering my planning (or lack of!) the last few weeks and trying to come up with something simple and straightforward and this great, thanks.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No worries, I have attached a sample weekly planning sheet from just before Christmas.

I have made the planning sheet as simple and user-friendly as possible, otherwise you are writing too much and probably doing it just because you feel you ought to, rather than a tool which is going to help you. If I can't fit my evaluation in the box or fit the whole week on a side of A4 then I'm writing too much and it just becomes a laborious task otherwise.

The important bits are on there: date, activity AM and PM, resources required, children present and evaluation; nothing else. Evaluating is a good tool for Ofsted to see that you are thinking about what works and what doesn't; that the activity is suitable for the age and ability of the child. As you can see, the activity I planned was too fiddly even for me so will only consider that again for an older child. The play-doh worked up to a point was but just being eaten so that's an activity that requires constant supervision etc etc.

Whist I know children will sometimes want to do a different activity when we actually get to the day, I like to know at a glance in advance what resources I need and what children I have that day. For the younger children that you are referring to, activities don't really change much as much of what you plan is following their individual planning and they won't really be able to ask to do something else. Still, even things like treasure baskets for little ones will need resources, even if you have them at home.

I have 5 sheets on the go at a time, once 1 week finishes, I make any alterations and evaluations that may be required to the week that has just passed and add a new sheet onto the end. If I didn't do an activity or changed it then I will update the sheet; this means up to today's date, the sheet is used for planning; once today's date has passed it becomes a record of what happened.

Just before Christmas I put together a package of information for parents to review and comment on, including the next 5 weeks planning. If anything comes up from that, I can alter my planning accordingly, which will show I am working with parents.....Ofsted will be pleased! I hope so anyway....I haven't had my grading inspection yet!

I hope this helps

p.s. the explanation is more complicated than actually using the sheet!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Rick; 01-01-2013 at 06:26 PM.

Reg Jan
    Post Thanks / Like

No worries, I have attached a sample weekly planning sheet from just before Christmas.

I have made the planning sheet as simple and user-friendly as possible, otherwise you are writing too much and probably doing it just because you feel you ought to, rather than a tool which is going to help you. If I can't fit my evaluation in the box or fit the whole week on a side of A4 then I'm writing too much and it just becomes a laborious task otherwise.

The important bits are on there: date, activity AM and PM, resources required, children present and evaluation; nothing else. Evaluating is a good tool for Ofsted to see that you are thinking about what works and what doesn't; that the activity is suitable for the age and ability of the child. As you can see, the activity I planned was too fiddly even for me so will only consider that again for an older child. The play-doh worked up to a point was but just being eaten so that's an activity that requires constant supervision etc etc.

Whist I know children will sometimes want to do a different activity when we actually get to the day, I like to know at a glance in advance what resources I need and what children I have that day. For the younger children that you are referring to, activities don't really change much as much of what you plan is following their individual planning and they won't really be able to ask to do something else. Still, even things like treasure baskets for little ones will need resources, even if you have them at home.

I have 5 sheets on the go at a time, once 1 week finishes, I make any alterations and evaluations that may be required to the week that has just passed and add a new sheet onto the end. If I didn't do an activity or changed it then I will update the sheet; this means up to today's date, the sheet is used for planning; once today's date has passed it becomes a record of what happened.

Just before Christmas I put together a package of information for parents to review and comment on, including the next 5 weeks planning. If anything comes up from that, I can alter my planning accordingly, which will show I am working with parents.....Ofsted will be pleased! I hope so anyway....I haven't had my grading inspection yet!

I hope this helps

THANK YOU so much for taking the time to reply & for attaching your plan. I have some direction now. FABBY!!

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lucyD View Post
    THANK YOU so much for taking the time to reply & for attaching your plan. I have some direction now. FABBY!!
    No worries, happy to help. I've had plenty of help from this forum so I'm happy to give something back. Glad something I've done makes sense to someone else! When working on your own sometimes you're not certain whether what you're doing is right but I guess if it works for you then carry on doing it!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

A big thank you from me too! I have struggled getting something that works well and I think this is excellent. Much appreciated!!

14. Likes Rick liked this post
    Mar 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you - I have a general weekly plan but I think this will help with thinking about resources & evaluating what we've done.

16. Likes Rick liked this post
    Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to see your attachment Rich but it doesn't deem to come up on the phone app. Did anyone get it on theirs?
    'It's never too late to have a happy childhood' ( Tom Robinson)

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jadavi View Post
    I'd like to see your attachment Rich but it doesn't deem to come up on the phone app. Did anyone get it on theirs?
    It was a PDF. Can you view those on your phone? Do you have a laptop or computer you can use instead, definitely works on there.

jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

lovely simple format ..well done .i'll ask DH (my tech man ) to do me a similar one x

sep 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to say thank you as well, great ideas

sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much this is so simple but brill.

Post Thanks / Like

Very helpful thread. Thanku

Sent from my LT26i using Childminding Forum

MAY 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Brillaint !

Thanx for sharing, food for thought !

I hope this helps

Mar2008
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Hope this helps!
    Hi Rick, can i ask ..do you do this level of planning for every day? At my last inspection I was told to keep things simple. The quantity of planning you are doing is much more than a teachers and they get paid a lot more!! Do such young children benefit from all the time & effort you put into writing down what you are going to do with them? I just don't see the point. As childminders we know our children and what they like and can follow there interests spontaneously without having to document every little thing.

Arrgh! Sorry bit of a rant there! Nothing personal!

25. Likes N/A liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast