Do i give a child calpol after injesctions just because parent says so???
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    JAN 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do i give a child calpol after injesctions just because parent says so???

Hi, all. Iam a little confused, ok i have a 3 year old just come for todays session, ive had her from a baby so i know all about history ect. She had her immunistions this morning and mums bought her calpol and has gave her a dose already, shes asked me to keep her topped up through out the day, but this is where iam slighty worried....the child has no symptoms eg high temp ect shes jumping around as normal but shes still wants me to give her calpol for absolute no reason. I have refused as for 1 i dont want to put something into her body that she dont need and 2 i have told mum shes shouldnt as they can become immune, she hasnt listened anyway. But surely as a child care provider its against the law to give a child medication that they dont need and shes disputed this saying 'if ive said its ok surely thats ok?' but im not sure........can anyone help??

xx

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

No i would not give calpol unless there was an actual need for it.
    I would not give mediaction "just in case" she MIGHT need it , I would wait to see if she actually needed it first.

You are right - just because mum tells you to do something does not mean you have to do it.

What if she told you to give the child a cold bath when she misbehaves because thats what she does? Would you do it? No you wouldn't.

If mum doesn't like it then im afraid thats just too bad.

Pipsqueak Guest

AGreed - I would not give a child meds just on the 'off chance' to ward it of.

I would pull the relevant info from EYFS and give to parent.
    If parent wants that then she will have to stop home with child

JAN 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by little chickee View Post
    No i would not give calpol unless there was an actual need for it.
    I would not give mediaction "just in case" she MIGHT need it , I would wait to see if she actually needed it first.

You are right - just because mum tells you to do something does not mean you have to do it.

What if she told you to give the child a cold bath when she misbehaves because thats what she does? Would you do it? No you wouldn't.

If mum doesn't like it then im afraid thats just too bad.

Thank you for your reply, knew it wasnt right. She dont need it, its totally unnecessary to give her something she does not need.

xx

5. Likes kats liked this post
    Mar 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hayjay1987 View Post
    Hi, all. Iam a little confused, ok i have a 3 year old just come for todays session, ive had her from a baby so i know all about history ect. She had her immunistions this morning and mums bought her calpol and has gave her a dose already, shes asked me to keep her topped up through out the day, but this is where iam slighty worried....the child has no symptoms eg high temp ect shes jumping around as normal but shes still wants me to give her calpol for absolute no reason. I have refused as for 1 i dont want to put something into her body that she dont need and 2 i have told mum shes shouldnt as they can become immune, she hasnt listened anyway. But surely as a child care provider its against the law to give a child medication that they dont need and shes disputed this saying 'if ive said its ok surely thats ok?' but im not sure........can anyone help??

xx
    NO you shouldn't give calpol after immunisations. The advice now is to avoid giving calpol unless the child develops a high temp. My baby and 3yr have both just had their immunisations