Do I need to contact Ofsted? Advice needed quick!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do I need to contact Ofsted? Advice needed quick!

Hello everyone,
    I have an appointment in a couple of days with the nurse at my GP's for the removal of a couple of stitches in my hand (unfortunate pumpkin carving incident last week!), and will have to take my mindee with me as they couldn't fit me in at all otherwise.
    Rather than actually taking her in with me, I've asked my own daughter (17), if she could wait with the child in the waiting room while my stitches are taken out (hopefully between 5 and 10 minutes tops).
    My mindee (who is three and a half)) likes my daughter and knows her well, and is familiar with the surgery as her own doctor is based there.
    I've mentioned all this to Mum who is absolutely fine with the proposed arrangement and happy to give her written permission prior to the event, but I just wondered if I needed to run all this by Ofsted?
    Any advice would be greatly welcomed, as I haven't got long if I need to start changing arrangements!!!

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I'd ask daughter to come in the room with mindee and distract mindee while stitches get taken out.

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had some stiches out a few years ago and had to take a 3 year old boy mindee with me. He loved watching made his day and he took great delight in describing all the details to his mum

Pipsqueak Guest

I would say this is a grey area... its not an 'emergency' therefore you cannot justify leaving child with someone else....
    is your daughter your registered assistant - that would be fine

as suggested can you take child/daughter in and get daughter to distract child

Mar 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Problem solved!
    My daughter was not at all comfy with the idea of coming into the room with me (never mind distracting anyone as well!),so I called mindees parents, who were completely happy with me involving little one in the whole process!

Thanks so much everyone(don't know where I'd be without this fab forum!)...this has been bothering me all day, and sometimes you just can't (or don't have the time to)think clearly!
    xxx

6. Likes N/A liked this post
    jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i know this is all sorted now but i dont think OFSTED would have allowed it,assistants under 18 cant be left unsupervised,so even if she had first aid and was your assistant they wouldnt give you permission as it breaks the EYFS rules and you know how they feel about that !!!

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dette View Post
    i know this is all sorted now but i dont think OFSTED would have allowed it,assistants under 18 cant be left unsupervised,so even if she had first aid and was your assistant they wouldnt give you permission as it breaks the EYFS rules and you know how they feel about that !!!
    Don't know about childminding assistants but in the Stat Guidance it says "Staff: Child ratios 3.28 Only those aged 17 or over may be included in ratios (staff under 17 should be supervised at all times) Students on long term placements and volunteers (aged 17 or over) may be included if provider is satisfied they are competent and responsible"

I was hoping the age had come down as going to get my 17 year old daughter added as an assistant - she doesn't have a pediatric first aid certificate but is a trained lifeguard and first aid is part of that.