Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Please help me with resignation letter

I have just been offered a job at a local nursery I am really chuffed! however the want me to start 2 weeks today. I have one mindee leaving end of next week so thats not a problem I have another whom I only have on a friday while mum does housework plus she mentioned last week that her mum was ill and needed her so she may not be bringing mindee for much longer so she is not a problem. I have one before and after school which I inherited from a childminding friend while she was on maternity leave and she can take her back so I know here mum will be fine with that which leaves me with 2 siblings. I have looked after the eldest one for 3 yrs he left recently to go to preschool mum handed in notice then a week later she calls me to say she has a new job (she was on mat leave) and could I have the little one all week and his brother on a wednesday although she has moved out of the area she said she wanted to stick with me this is only my 3rd week into the new contract so in theory I can terminate because it is in the settling period (although we have not officially exchanged contracts yet )she is hard to pin down . I feel really bad about only giving her 2 weeks notice and feel sick about telling her I feel like out of respect I should give 4 weeks notice but my new employer is not flexible on the start date. My DH said I should be thinking about myself and what's right for my family and this is! I am sure she didn't feel bad about handing her notice to me! How do I word a letter struggling to find the right words please help. I do have a childminder friend only 5 doors away that has got space for them if they should choose she is also familiar with the children through groups etc. help me I am panicing

july 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would try to keep to the point and very simple. An opportunity has come up that you cannot afford to turn down. Tell her how upset you feel about not being able to give her a longer notice period, but mention the other childminder near you, and also that the children know her.
    In these times you do need to look after your own interests, and we all know from experience, how things can change almost on a day to day basis. You need to do what is best for your family.
    I hope it goes well. Try not to feel too bad, I am sure she will understand.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

you can always speak to the parents but contractually you have to give them their 4 week notice period. That is not very understanding of your new employer. Cant you tell them that if you were in another employed job you would not be able to leave any earlier than your contractual notice and it is the same for you.

I would say it doesn't bode well of their attitude to being flexible and how they treat employees (unless the start date was advertised before interview of course)
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got