Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default epipen and paperwork ..help required

hi ..i have just taken on an after schoolie. He is related (DH'S mams cousin's grandson)so mam quite happy and relaxed sending him to me as He has allergies to egg and shellfish and has asthma.needs piriton and /or epipen for allergies if symptomatic and inhalor as required for the asthma.I have filled in the long term medication section of NCMA accident book but should i have a care plan aswell ???is there anything else i should have /do .does anyone else have mindee with epipen.what paper work do you have...thanks in advance

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a signed plan of action from mum which includes when and how to give and what to do afterwards. I also went to the doctors and saw a nurse who took me through how to use one and gave me a signed paper for my records.

Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Pipsqueak Guest

to adminster an Epi-Pen you should have the same training given to you as the parents are given - ie from the HV, nurse or doctor
    You should have at least two pens in your setting.

the training is in accordance with current FA advice and insurances

jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    to adminster an Epi-Pen you should have the same training given to you as the parents are given - ie from the HV, nurse or doctor
    You should have at least two pens in your setting.

the training is in accordance with current FA advice and insurances
    epipens were covered in my first aid training ..do i need additional training on top of this ..??

his mam gives me 2 pens each morning at school as waiting for prescription to come through

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dette View Post
    epipens were covered in my first aid training ..do i need additional training on top of this ..??

his mam gives me 2 pens each morning at school as waiting for prescription to come through
    yes you do. you need the same training the parent/carer receives from a trained professional - this will ensure that your insurance covers you.
    the training they give in FA is only general and they advise covering the Epi-Pen with the casualties hand so that 'effectively' they are giving the medication to themselves.

jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    yes you do. you need the same training the parent/carer receives from a trained professional - this will ensure that your insurance covers you.
    the training they give in FA is only general and they advise covering the Epi-Pen with the casualties hand so that 'effectively' they are giving the medication to themselves.
    ok .thanks ,i'll get onto that today

7. Likes N/A liked this post
    jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

well just had a bit of good luck ..Saw parent of mindee with epipen in the playground.She gave me prescription(2 pens and piriton) i told her that i have to get training for the epipen.She said that school are training teachers soon and perhaps i could join them,so i went to see the head and the training is TOMORROW !!!! hows that for timing...
    What i need now is a care plan template.i think there is one in downloads but i cant open it.does anyone have one i could use .I found one for a school that i could adapt if not though

Pipsqueak Guest

well just had a bit of good luck ..Saw parent of mindee with epipen in the playground.She gave me prescription(2 pens and piriton) i told her that i have to get training for the epipen.She said that school are training teachers soon and perhaps i could join them,so i went to see the head and the training is TOMORROW !!!! hows that for timing...
    What i need now is a care plan template.i think there is one in downloads but i cant open it.does anyone have one i could use .I found one for a school that i could adapt if not though
    thats great

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i had a Lo with epipens/piriton etc.

i had training from the nurse at the allergy unit, and they had to write on their forms that they were happy with my training! they then wrote me a note to say i had been trained to their satisfaction! i kept this with my first aid certificate.

i had a copy of the hospitals care plan for LO, but also had another one! i think it might be this one, as i seem to have it in my files, and i can't find another one!
    Attached Files Attached Files

11. Likes dette liked this post
    jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    i had a Lo with epipens/piriton etc.

i had training from the nurse at the allergy unit, and they had to write on their forms that they were happy with my training! they then wrote me a note to say i had been trained to their satisfaction! i kept this with my first aid certificate.

i had a copy of the hospitals care plan for LO, but also had another one! i think it might be this one, as i seem to have it in my files, and i can't find another one!
    thanks thats great.i've run off a copy now.hopefully i'll be able to find out tomorrow if this training is enough or if i will need training specific to LO at hospital/clinic.
    xx

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

thanks thats great.i've run off a copy now.hopefully i'll be able to find out tomorrow if this training is enough or if i will need training specific to LO at hospital/clinic.
    xx
    you're welcome. i remember it being a bit of a mindfield when i was sorting it out!

jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    you're welcome. i remember it being a bit of a mindfield when i was sorting it out!
    you're not wrong there !!!i'll only have him once or twice a week for 1 1/2 hours a time.if he wasnt family (although not close family) i would wonder if it was worth it ...but i've only got him because his nanna (my MIL's cousin) has cancer and cant manage him anymore so i figure if i've got to do it then i'll make sure i do it right

Jun-11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I got inspected in April and Care Inspectorate were aware from annual return that I had child with severe allergies. Inspector went through my paperwork which included action plan for epipen use, but never said anything about extra training. I wonder if it is due to being in Scotland?

jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by danasdaycare View Post
    I got inspected in April and Care Inspectorate were aware from annual return that I had child with severe allergies. Inspector went through my paperwork which included action plan for epipen use, but never said anything about extra training. I wonder if it is due to being in Scotland?
    i hope tomorrows training will be enough,if not i could always move over the border...i'm in cumbria