Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Daily Diaries

Registered Childminder since
    jun10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Daily Diaries

I have always done a daily diary for each of my littlies,which was fine when I had just 2.Now I find myself rushing to get something written down before they are collected and often forget to write things down.
    My question is: is there a better way to manage this or should I scrap it and try something new?

Jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lana10 View Post
    I have always done a daily diary for each of my littlies,which was fine when I had just 2.Now I find myself rushing to get something written down before they are collected and often forget to write things down.
    My question is: is there a better way to manage this or should I scrap it and try something new?
    Heya I have a child for 1 hour a day sometimes it's crazy and I write in the book if I can but not a lot is written child comes is plays then I av to scribble in the book I'm mad lol. Maybe an online one maybe better just write down the main stuff like nappies and food then send emails at night ?
    xxxxxx

Jun 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel exactly the same my last parent I did one for admitted they had never read it !
    so just had a new one start today, & I'm doing a quick verbal handover, ie ate a good lunch, slept for x amount, that we been to toddlers/park etc
    Anything important will be emailled,

I haven't got time to sit for 20 mins + filling in diarys,

These children of course will have their learning journals

Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

I do all my daily diaries on the computer and e-mail to parents at the end of the week. They read and send back their comments - I find I get much more (written) feedback that way - I print them off and add to LJ's. i do have a chat with parents each night but this system seems to work OK for me as I'm too busy in the day to write much.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you are finding it stressful then you need to think about how to make it work for you!

I asked all parents if they valued the diary - and only write it for those who said 'yes' now - the rest communicate verbally with me anyway.

Hth

oct 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I used to have this problem - not to mention the fact I have awful handwriting so it was probably illegible anyway.

I use online diaries now but know they are not to everyone's taste - you could use text messages or email instead perhaps?

jun10
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for helping,I am going to try emails

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I like diaries but my parents never read them, which I find frustrating. I keep their dairies on my desk and just make a note of things when the day progresses which works well. I don't fill it in at the end of the day as I would not find the time, like you. But I wouldn't want to use my time to sit and type up a report and email it every day either so I find an open note book jotted in every now and again works best for me. xx

Sep 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont do daily diaries.

I text my parents when they sleep, wake, what we had for lunch, sometimes the odd photo of what we are doing. I have a blog (which is not EYFS/LJ related) which is tounge and cheek and something for the parents to read. My LJ are online, and my paperwork is now all web based also.

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

For the little-es I do a little 'my day' sheet ( an A5) with what they have eaten, nappies, what we have been up too - very brief and I pop it in their bags at the end of the day - I tend to fill in as I go along!
    Parents all have a 'chat 'at the end of the day anyway.
    For any older ones (- 3 - 4) I just do a verbal hand over - the children tend to tell then what we have been or are going to do anyway!

Marian x

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i have an A5 sheet that i list meals, sleeps, nappies, what we did and any notes to parents. i write it as the day goes on, usually updating at snack, lunch & tea time! i put occaisonal photos on too.

each child has an A5 folder that they bring each day and i put the daily sheet in there. there are also a few 'parent comment' forms at the back for messages from parents.

i have one child ( one day a week ) whose mum forgets to bring folder probably every other week, but i just send the sheet home and mum puts it in the folder!

i have been doing a daily ( or weekly ) diary ever since i started nannying, so its been part of my life for nearly 25 yrs! i don't find it really takes much time, and i do a verbal handover every day as well.

i write the diary each day until they start school.

Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Some days I have 4 little ones and it can be a pain doing 4 diaries. I know one of my parents never reads it. To be honest some days I just don't get the time to write them. I do find them useful for me though as I tend to write little obs in them which I can go back to when looking at the dev matters and tracker x

Post Thanks / Like

Default Diarys

I've stopped doing them as i found i was telling them everything that i had all ready written.

so now i just have a quick chat when they pick up , if i firget anything i ring or text them