Thread: Daily Diaries

Registered Childminder since
    June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Daily Diaries

Just trying to get my head round all the different paperwork I need

So in a daily diary, what goes in here? Im assuming its different from the childs profile?

At the moment I only have before & after school children, my first EYs child isnt starting til January, but as I'm expecting an inspection before Christmas I've decided to do full profiles for my mindees, just to prove to Mrs Ofsted that I've got a good understanding of this, as a new childminder Ive also found it helps with activities planning and learning planning..

I also give a daily slip to parents with what they've eaten, drank, any messages from school, and brief run down of what we've been doing.

Ive thought for a while that there must be a better way of recording these things other than giving slips every day, so could a diary replace this?

Thank you x

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep-I just get an A5 notebook from asda and on each page put date, nappy changes,food,what we did today,childs mood,etc and it is left in the child's bag.
    Parents are also asked to write in it any info they like,ie,"Liam didn't sleep much last night."
    I have seperate folders for learning journals,obs,etc
    You don't need to do a daily diary for before/after schoolies.

Sep 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I do an online electronic LJ with Orbit x everyone is different, but yes you do need to do one, just need to find a system that works for you x

Post Thanks / Like

Default daily diarys

Do you HAVE to do them ?

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gracie's mamma View Post
    Do you HAVE to do them ?
    You don't have to do them, but it shows that you have a good sharing relationship with the parents, it works well especially if Dad picks up
    as they don't always pass on info. I do 2 daily diaries on lo's but as i see moms i share info at collection the 3rd dad picks up and mom
    said on start of contract that he doesn't pass things on so that one goes home every night. It's really up to you
    Cath

sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I print my own A5 sheets and each child has their own A5 ring binder they bring daily.
    You don't have to do them but my parents all like them and handovers are often busy as most go at the same time.

Aug 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do diaries for under 5's only. I created a template that fits twice onto an A4 sheet with boxes for food, nappies, sleep and main activities, plus a box for notes & another for parent's comments. I did this as I was writing far too much in a notebook so having a finite amount of space restricted me (I'm known for always using 20 words where one will do ). I found that although parents liked these they got stuffed in bags and lost so I have now bought A5 ring-binders that live in a child's bag and add the diary sheet each day along with any other docs such as newsletters, leaflets from places we've visited, photos etc. So far it's working well

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know a good place to get a5 ringbinders? or possibly smaller?

Aug 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I got mine on Amazon