Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I need some tactful wording please!

Hi I am in the middle of preparing my first newsletter and want to mention the fact that I will be introducing no-nonsense pick ups from October. At the moment collection times are a nightmare with children being tired and playing up, parents wanting to chat which is great but I am missing out on quality time with my own daughter and its beginning to interfere with her bedtime routine My plan is for the parents to text me when they are 5 mins away and I will have their child ready and waiting when they arrive! Is that a bit rude? Any advice please x

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's sort of Ok as far as it goes, but you are going to have to do a bit more than just that. Doorstep pick-ups might work, but you could have problems and create a bad impression if you don't do something more to make time for the families at least sometimes.

'New improved' EYFS demands better communication with parents. You're going to have trouble demonstrating that if the parents never get across your threshold. When are you going to discuss their learning and development?

Tbh, I wouldn't be a happy parent if I felt my lo was just being bundled out the door at 'clocking off' time and you weren't interested in telling me about his/her day. And what if accident/medication forms need to be signed?

I've no doubt that others will disagree with me. But I think i will look like you're wanting everything on you terms and simply don't have time for the parents or much interest in them as a family. It's not what I'd do.

Aug 03
    Post Thanks / Like

I have one little one that I just take him to the door when mum comes and I have a chat at the door with how he got on. Then she goes before she used to come in but she would stand there for 10 mins not saying or doing anything and do be honest I had had enough. They do come in in the morning so we had have a chat there as well and I do diaries so will put anything important in there.

I don't see a problem with it personally and I know a childminding friend how takes the children to the door and she has never had any problems with parents not liking it.

If I was a parent it wouldn't bother me at all because I would want to get home and spend time with my own children.
    Love
    Lorraine xx

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

about 10 mins or so before LO are due to go home, they put their shoes on, coats if need be, make sure they have everything they need, and then we read books near the door.

i do chat to parents, but it helps speed up the going home process!

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

no one crosses my threshold and I don't think they feel deprived in any way, quick chat and off....i do a daily diary for the details, chat about anything significant....

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    I think it's sort of Ok as far as it goes, but you are going to have to do a bit more than just that. Doorstep pick-ups might work, but you could have problems and create a bad impression if you don't do something more to make time for the families at least sometimes.

'New improved' EYFS demands better communication with parents. You're going to have trouble demonstrating that if the parents never get across your threshold. When are you going to discuss their learning and development?

Tbh, I wouldn't be a happy parent if I felt my lo was just being bundled out the door at 'clocking off' time and you weren't interested in telling me about his/her day. And what if accident/medication forms need to be signed?

I've no doubt that others will disagree with me. But I think i will look like you're wanting everything on you terms and simply don't have time for the parents or much interest in them as a family. It's not what I'd do.
    Thank you for your comments Bunyip - I already have great communication with the parents and wouldn't dream of "bundling" them out of the door at "clocking off" time and wanting everything on "my terms". I must admit I find your comments quite patronising but everyone is entitled to their opinion and I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shamai View Post
    Thank you for your comments Bunyip - I already have great communication with the parents and wouldn't dream of "bundling" them out of the door at "clocking off" time and wanting everything on "my terms". I must admit I find your comments quite patronising but everyone is entitled to their opinion and I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
    So sorry - no offence intended. Further apology and explanation sent by PM.

bunyip

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

All but one of my parents come in and thats his choice not too. I have now got him to come by the front door. But in all honestly in this madhouse most people are glad to get out.

I know a lot of cm's who hand over at the door
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Nov 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Some parents come in, some don't.Some want to chat about their childs day, some don't....i really don't mind either way...!

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

All my parents come in and we chat about lo's day, they can see how they interact with the others, I only have them with shoes and coats on if the parent has rung to ask me to do it if their in a rush.
    Cath

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cathtee View Post
    All my parents come in and we chat about lo's day, they can see how they interact with the others, I only have them with shoes and coats on if the parent has rung to ask me to do it if their in a rush.

Same here.
    If all else fails......add glitter!

july 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think if it is impingeing on your time with your daughter, if you explain that is why you would like a quick turn around at collection time, most parents would understand that. Especially if you say you make time if necessary at other times for a chat, maybe by phone or email later in the evening if it is something they feel needs discussing that day. Most parents are fairly reasonable.

I used to have one dad in particular who would be half in the house, just standing inside the front door, with the door open and me unable to close it because there was no room to get round him, letting all the warm air out, and most importantly, the little ones able to get out through or by his legs. I asked him no end of times not to do this, as politely as I could, and in the end I just had his two ready to go about fifteen minutes before he was due, just in case he came early, and so they were more or less pushed out of the door as he arrived. I would'nt mind but he wasn't even talking he just used to bounce up and down on his heels while his girls told him all abour their day. Wasn't communicating with me at all.

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You could get kids ready nearer to the time read books, quick feed back as you already do it!! I must admit they have to go out by half past they end up talking for twenty minutes grrrrr!!! Its parents we have to remind them we got things que up and have tO do and you are in rush! Might help if you got stubborn mum at the door

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Overall good
    Post Thanks / Like

Its a difficult time at the end of a long busy day, and when it's after 6pm a quick
    catch up and good bye is acceptable ...I have coats and shoes on lo's at 6, open the door to let mum/dad in, say what I want to say then open the door again and say " ok well have a good evening and see you tomorrow"....this usually works and off they go.
    Debbie xxx

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Overall good
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I've posted on the wrong post....lol
    Debbie xxx

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Overall good
    Post Thanks / Like

AAAGGhhhh no i didn't these blue pages all look the same....not with it tonight anyway good luck with that.
    Debbie xxx

Nov 99
    Post Thanks / Like

it all depends on the parent. Some of mine come in to chat, some don't. I've even had one parent of an older girl just beep his car horn when he arrives!!

I think most just want to get home after a long day, and are quite happy to speed up the handover process, especially as wee angels can change into monsters when their parents arrive! AJD