Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: LJ's

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default LJ's

Hi, Part of my ofsted improvement area was getting parent's more involved with LJ's etc.

Now although a section is easily placed on the form to get their opinion. Does everyone ask the parents to return the LJ once they have commented or do you give one copy and if they return it your'e classed as lucky and give them a copy with their comments on???

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I share learning journeys with parents 4 times a year. I try to get them to comment on the focused observations ive made but they never do. So last year i introduced learning journey questionnaires shich i issue everytime i give them to parents. This sas much more effective and all parents completed them. It asks what they think about the learning journey, have they noticed any development or new interests at home and if they have any suggestions of a activities i can provide for their child. I keep all feedback from parents in the learning journey and when they bulge i give some of itto the parents.
    Wellybellyxxxxxxxxx

jumpinjen Guest

I send mine home every three months and put in a sticker asking parents to sign and make any comments. The first time I send it home I put in a letter with suggestions of what comments they may want to make such as whether they think their child has progressed, what they have noticed, what things their child likes to do at home, whether the LJ helps them to notice their child's development, whether they like to have it home etc. It always comes back with something written, but sometimes I prod them via e-mail and print out the response and stick it in the LJ and get them to sign it. I also do a three monthly planning sheet with ideas for focus areas for each LO, and add parents comments and get them to sign. I stick that in the LJ - I do mine in spiral bound lined A4 notebooks so everything is nicely in order.

Jen x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I ask parents to come in and look at them - I make them a coffee and we sit and chat.

I note what they have told me verbally and then write it in the LJs later.

I find this works much better than sending them home

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of mine aren't interested in looking at them or filling in a form with feedback

I sent one lj home and it came back ripped, pieces missing out of it and coffee stains on a few pages they'd let the 2yr old play with it

Another was with them for 6wks until I went to their house and collected it because they kept 'forgetting' to bring it back and then they still hadn't filled in the feedback sheet and to this day despite regular reminders they haven't bothered

So when they say ofsted want proof we are sharing ljs with parents what do we do when we have parents like this???!!!

I often suggest they come in and looked at them but they are 'far too busy' to take 5mins out of their busy lives

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

thats exactly my issue. No parents read the diaries let alone reading the LJ's and writing comments.

QUOTE=mummyof3;1150306]Most of mine aren't interested in looking at them or filling in a form with feedback

I sent one lj home and it came back ripped, pieces missing out of it and coffee stains on a few pages they'd let the 2yr old play with it

Another was with them for 6wks until I went to their house and collected it because they kept 'forgetting' to bring it back and then they still hadn't filled in the feedback sheet and to this day despite regular reminders they haven't bothered

So when they say ofsted want proof we are sharing ljs with parents what do we do when we have parents like this???!!!

I often suggest they come in and looked at them but they are 'far too busy' to take 5mins out of their busy lives [/QUOTE]