Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Safeguarding Policy

I'm just trying to amend my safeguarding policy to include the use of cameras and mobile phones but I just haven't got a clue how to word that part!

We were told on our course that we should say something like "I will not take a mobile phone or camera into the toilet when taking mindees." But I just think that sounds so awful. I hate that in this day and age that have to put this in. It makes me sick to the stomach to think that anyone WOULD take a phone or camera into the loo, and in my eyes writing it in to a policy would only make a parent suspicious as to why the childminder put it in the first place as they won't know its a legal requirement

So can anyone help with the wording of this part??

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've every sympathy with you.

Is there anything else they'd like us to put in safeguarding that's issued by The Department of the Obvious ??? How about, "The children will not be permitted to play with matches when we're making home-made explosives"? Or "I will not stick a child's hand into the smoothie-blender." ???

It seems impossible to get any practical advice on these new safeguarding criteria, certainly not from people who are supposed to know. Ofsted and NCMA seem to be reluctant to commit to any constructive comment.

This is not the first piece of dumb information I've heard a CM being given on an EYFS 2012 training workshop. I'm booked on one and I've a growing dread that it'll be a total waste of time. I've not heard of one useful piece of advice/info that has been given out that could not have been gained by merely reading the new regulations (which, shamefully, a lot of CMs and nursery staff just don't appear to have done yet.)

feb 93
    Post Thanks / Like

I completely agree with you Orlando Belle when i thought about amending my policy i could not bring myself to write something like that because i thought exactly the same....surely it would make parents suspicious writing something like that in a policy.
    On our training evening we asked how to write the changes into a policy and Trio told us nothing.......they said that there would be a sample policy put on the council website....still waiting!!!!!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My copy of the much-awaited new NCMA "book" EYFS and You arrived this morning. (It's not a book, it's smaller than most magazines. 44 pages, of which 10% are either blank for "notes" or are only there to tell me how wonderful NCMA is.)

I eagerly flicked through looking for all the helpful guidance I'd hoped for. It is so disappointing.

So, at the risk of breaking copyright, here is the sum total of NCMA guidance on how to write a new safeguarding policy: "The new EYFS now requires that safeguarding policies and procedures must cover the use of mobile phones and cameras in the setting."

Well, yes, I know that 'cos I bothered to read the EYFS documents.

I am deeply gutted. I blew about 3 hours' wages on this (or, 4 pints, in 'real' money.) I do believe in supporting NCMA, but I expected so much more of them.

Feb 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that just sound awful and would probably worry parents if that was on a policy.

Because it just says on the framework 'cover the use of mobile phones' on mine I have just put that

* I use a mobile phone and carry it with me on outings and will be used for emergencies.

* I use a digital camera to take photographs of children taking part in activities for observations, learning journeys, and my college work evidence. Photos will be downloaded onto my computer into a password protected file. My computer has all relevant upto date antivirus software. All photos will be deleted after use.

* I am registered with ICO as a Data Processor.

* To ensure the safety and welfare of all in my setting I strictly prohibited use of mobile phones of children attending.

Hope that helps.

x

Apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

My safeguarding policy states: I do not allow mobile phones or cameras to be used in my setting by the children in my care as this is a Child Protection issue. Please see my Mobile Phone / Camera policy for more information.

Then my Mobile Phone / Camera policy states: I will not allow children’s own mobile phones or cameras to be used whilst they are in my care. There are many reasons for this.

the child could be sending/receiving texts that are a child protection issue

they could be accessing inappropriate material (including already stored material) and possibly sharing it with other children - this includes songs that are explicitly worded for instance

they could be taking photographs of other children and I cannot allow that

I don't want photographs taken of my home

I don't want the phone being lost or damaged, therefore if the child arrives with it I will take it off them and give to parent or store it for the day

I would prefer NOT to be responsible for someone else’s expensive property

if the parent needs/wants to contact the child they do it via me

I keep a mobile phone with me at all times and no photos will be taken in inappropriate places. All photos are transferred to my computer and deleted from the camera / mobile every evening.

Please speak with me immediately if you have any problems with this policy.

Some other childminders have commented that that is a bit harsh but to be honest I don't care. This is how I want to work

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bexboo1 View Post
    I agree that just sound awful and would probably worry parents if that was on a policy.

Because it just says on the framework 'cover the use of mobile phones' on mine I have just put that

* I use a mobile phone and carry it with me on outings and will be used for emergencies.

* I use a digital camera to take photographs of children taking part in activities for observations, learning journeys, and my college work evidence. Photos will be downloaded onto my computer into a password protected file. My computer has all relevant upto date antivirus software. All photos will be deleted after use.

* I am registered with ICO as a Data Processor.

* To ensure the safety and welfare of all in my setting I strictly prohibited use of mobile phones of children attending.

Hope that helps.

x
    'Ditto' except I prohibit the use of mobile phones by anyone in the setting e.g. parents, visitors - they are asked to go outside if they need to use their phones.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all for sharing. This looks very sensible and helpful. Wish we got this sort of help from the organisations that are paid to support and guide us.

oct 96
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Thanks to all for sharing. This looks very sensible and helpful. Wish we got this sort of help from the organisations that are paid to support and guide us.
    THats exactly what i was thinking before I read your post. I dont know where I would be without this forum. I have learnt so much stuff by being a member. Thanks everyone

Cupcake22

Latest Inspection Grade
    Irrelevant
    Post Thanks / Like

hi i thought it was about staff using mobile phones , if you remember that woman who was sent to prison who worked at a nursery took pictures of children and sent them to people? i think thats why they have done this. I am going to put only 'registered childminders who work in the setting are allowed to take pictures on our settings camera only! no mobile phones'. Aso what about when we go to cm groups, toddler groups, people are using mobile phones to take pictures. I cant not have my mobile phone in the setting because parents like to text me sometimes to say they are running late, although if i stop cm im going to get rid of it lol