Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Diaries for the under 3's

Hi there,
    Just wondered what information people usually put into the daily diaries for the kids under 3 years.
    I am not sure if I am putting too much, too little etc.So far I put down:

times nappy changed and what it was ie. number 1 or two and in some cases whether quite bad

activities/things the kids do during the day i.e. babbling and playing, new things they haven't done before

what they have eaten and times etc

kind of mood they are in etc.

think that's about it

sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

that's about what I put. i have a parents comments section on mine aswell and a reminders section - oh and a bit to say how much and of what they've had to drink.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

OMG only one of my parents reads what i have written. No one else does! so I just give a verbal handover too!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rachelle View Post
    that's about what I put. i have a parents comments section on mine aswell and a reminders section - oh and a bit to say how much and of what they've had to drink.

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I do verbal handovers too, I much prefer them, I do do daily diaries more for me and I can refer to them if a parents asks about something specific.
    Cath

May 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I put in what they've eaten including any snacks
    nappy changes
    activities we've done during the day and what the child liked
    a comment box for any 'wow' moments or information to pass over, new wrods etc.
    I've also just started putting a little pogo printed picture on some days if I capture something new or a nice photo
    I have a parents comment box at the bottom which gets used sometimes

But I have 3 parents that read the books religeously and 2 who comment regularly so it's worth me doing it.
    I have 2 parents who don't bother so I don't

One of the diaries reads more like a learning journal, parent comments nearly everyday on what they have done at home, new words and activities. Wish I'd had this one during Ofsted to show how good I am at communicating with parents

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

hello,

-I put what we've done: ex, play group or park or friends house..
    -what he had for lunch, snack
    - I don't put when I change nappies for a wee ( only for poo)
    - sleeping time
    - wow moments

Dec 10
    Post Thanks / Like

what has been eaten at each meal time
    how much sleep they have had
    what activities we have done
    "wow" moments
    any messages that need to be passed on
    what sort of mood they have been in

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty well much as above - though I don't think my parents look at them very often so have to tell them anything I need them to know as well

Post Thanks / Like

These all sound lovely, how big are the books? do you make them yourselves or buy them?

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I put in times and details of all snacks, meals, nappies, sleeps, suncream application, plus a bit about what we have done and moods etc. I usually include most of the latter part in the verbal handover just in case parents don't read it.

I encourage parents to write stuff too but they never have. However, as part of my parent questionnaire both sets of parents mentioned how much they love reading the diary, as do other family members e.g. grandparents. So it may feel like you aren't getting anything back, but they probably are reading it and you'll find they do a verbal handover so just write down key info as you see fit.

For reference I write approx 1-2 sides for each child, per day. The pages are approx 10x15cm so it really isn't that much. I try to update as I go throughout the day. The longest bit I write is usually about meal times so I can usually do this for the last 3 mins as they are finishing up their meals.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

and no, I don't make them. Just bought very cheap small notebooks from the Range and decorated. Decoration does look a bit twee (I was very enthusiastic, new mindees and all that) so perhaps wouldn't do for future children.

Sept 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LadyC View Post
    I encourage parents to write stuff too but they never have. However, as part of my parent questionnaire both sets of parents mentioned how much they love reading the diary, as do other family members e.g. grandparents. So it may feel like you aren't getting anything back, but they probably are reading it and you'll find they do a verbal handover so just write down key info as you
    just wanted to add that don't assume parents aren't interested or don't want them just because they don't comment - I used to love reading my son's dairy but couldn't always think what to write so left it blank half the time!

Jan 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I use diaries from pound land , dates already there just jot things down add the odd pogo photo and job done, although I feel it gets a bit repetative as the child gets older ie no longer having bottle feeds/ nappy changes etc

Jan 03
    Post Thanks / Like

I have food, sleep, toileting, activities, comments & messages from home. All on a side of A4 and I make up a book per term. I recently asked parents if they would prefer electronic diaries and all said no they like the paper version and keep old ones!