School holidays - change to hours
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default School holidays - change to hours

Hi, This is my first thread. Im not usually to good with forums so ive hope ive done things right!
    This is just a wwyd question really. Ive been minding E since Sept 11, 6 hours a day twice a week. My contract says 50% for school holidays.
    I have verbally agreed to have Es sibling in September for 8 hours a day twice a week and change Es hours to 2 a day as i will collect from school.
    The parents want me to end Es contract at the end of term and starting his new one straight away - therefore only paying me 50% based on 4 hours a week, whereas i was expecting 50% based on 12 hours a week.
    My contract has no end date on it but it does say that it will be reviewed every 6 months.
    Basically, we are stuck at a stalemate - i want to be paid 50% of 12 hours for 6 weeks and they want to pay me 50% of 4 hours for 6 weeks.
    Im not really sure what to do now and was after your opinions?
    Thanks

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm... tricky one.
    I think you might have to back down on this one as you have had so much notice: they are effectively saying they want to change hours to 2 a day from school hols. What does it say in your contract about notice needed for changes?

Maybe instead of charging 2 hours a day for E you can say you'll be changing to 'session rates' for schoolies if that works out as a bit more? Or explain that you can only afford to charge 2 hrs for E as the other sibling will attending for x amount of hours and you would normally charge a minimum number of hours or sessions over the week for scoolies and that you charge x amount to keep holiday places as they're easy to fill over a week, but not for individual days...

I have to make sure I can afford to take on any child for fewer hours than I have available for before or after school sessions myself... the little boy I have only 3 days a week pays a higher hourly rate: £5 instead of £3.75 otherwise I'd be getting a pittance when another child could fill the space and pay full for every session.

They might not take it very well though... depends on how they'll react and how much you need to keep them too. You probably know best what they'll do. Good luck

best wishes,
    Wendy

Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps you could agree to it, but ask them to pay retainer for the sibling too. They could either start the contracts now (and pay retainer on both over the summer), or september (and just retain the old one til then). If they are expecting to retain the new 4hr contract but not start the other siblings contract either (even though the space is being kept), they are being a bit unfair.

If they don't want to do either of those things, you don't have to agree to the changes simply because the notice period given is adequate. You have the option to reject their proposed changes to the contract and give them notice, and let them decide whether they either want to go elsewhere (are there lots of other cm's picking up from their school?) or take the chance over the summer that their places are still available if/when they want to return in September.

Only you know how likely they are to find someone else to have their children, how likely you are to fill the space they might leave and how good they are to work for usually, so it's a personal decision. If it were me, though and the kids were good and parents were decent payers, and reliable, I would probably suck it up and let them have their way. It would seem worth writing off a couple of hundred quid retainer (at most) for some goodwill and reliable business.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i would say you have to go with 50% of the reduced hours as they have given you a months notice
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Jan 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

if the contracts are to be changed then the fees will change as with the retainer, i know this means you are down on your money but i wouldnt pay for hrs i wasnt contracted for in a retainer,

as for retainers if a family only want term time only i dont charge unless im available to give the place in the holidays, so i do term time only contracts,

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What is your notice period to end/change the contract? If its 4 weeks then they are within their right to ask you to end the contract at the end of the term and then pay a retainer for the new hours. You cannot insist on them paying to retain hours they do not require if they have given you adequate notice.

However, you are entitled to ask for a retainer for E's sibling in order to hold the September place for them. I personally wouldn't, I'd ask for a deposit, but you are entitled to if you want to go down that route.
    Last edited by Bridey; 19-06-2012 at 03:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bridey View Post
    What is your notice period to end/change the contract? If its 4 weeks then they are within their right to ask you to end the contract at the end of the term and then pay a retainer for the new hours. You cannot insist on them paying to retain hours they do not require if they have given you adequate notice.

However, you are entitled to ask for a retainer for E's sibling in order to hold the September place for them. I personally wouldn't, I'd ask for a deposit, but you are entitled to if you want to go down that route.
    I agree with this. Whatever you decide to do the situation needs careful handling or you could lose out altogether, ie, they give you notice and find someone else for both children in September.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!