Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Attendance record - school drop-off/pick up

Do I record the time school is supposed to "officially" start? E.g. 8.50am or the time the children actually go in, such as 8.47am or 8.52am?
    Same at home time, they are supposed to come out at 3.20pm but whenever I collect my son it is more like 3.25pm

Post Thanks / Like

For the purposes of an Attendance Register it is the time the child is in your care or leaves your care rather than, say, contracted hours. What I do is just write the contracted hours at the top of the sheet for information purposes.

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=*Katrina*;1106656]Do I record the time school is supposed to "officially" start? E.g. 8.50am or the time the children actually go in, such as 8.47am or 8.52am?
    Same at home time, they are supposed to come out at 3.20pm but whenever I collect my son it is more like 3.25pm :

Hi Katrina you have to put the time you get in the door estimate time is ok e.g 3.40 or 3.55 pm you don't have to put 3.47

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=jaswinder bedi;1113238]
    Quote Originally Posted by *Katrina* View Post
    Do I record the time school is supposed to "officially" start? E.g. 8.50am or the time the children actually go in, such as 8.47am or 8.52am?
    Same at home time, they are supposed to come out at 3.20pm but whenever I collect my son it is more like 3.25pm :

Hi Katrina you have to put the time you get in the door estimate time is ok e.g 3.40 or 3.55 pm you don't have to put 3.47
    Welcome to the forum Jas... it is great to see you making your first posts!

Sorry to contradict you but, for insurance purposes and Ofsted you do need to note the exact time (to the minute) a child arrives and leaves.

I hope this clarifies

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=jaswinder bedi;1113238]
    Quote Originally Posted by *Katrina* View Post

You need to record the time the child comes into or leaves your care so it is the time they come out of school or go into school etc and it does need to be to the minute not an estimate.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Oct 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=miffy;1113267]
    Quote Originally Posted by jaswinder bedi View Post

You need to record the time the child comes into or leaves your care so it is the time they come out of school or go into school etc and it does need to be to the minute not an estimate.

Miffy xx
    I understand this is what we have to do but to be honest unless everyone I mind synchronises their watches I really can't see the value of an exact to the minute time.........all the clocks and watches in this house are always out of sync by a couple of minutes anyway let alone all the families that I care for.In a query over what time the child entered or left my care it would be very difficult to prove it to the exact minute.

Dec 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I was questioned at length at my last inspection on my attendence register and because on 'some' occasions, not all, I had estimated pickup times from school got marked down.... you are expected to mark down time to the minute, but because I had put 3pm down every time for a week or so I was told it would have been impossible for me to have the mindee at 3pm everyday and to make sure I put the actual time, 2.58pm 3.02pm etc ..... It was a crazy conversation at which I was lectured to at length about the health/safety implications of not being accurate....... now I'm to the minute- no questions! xx
    God Bless xx T

Dec 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=sonia ann;1113272]
    Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post

I understand this is what we have to do but to be honest unless everyone I mind synchronises their watches I really can't see the value of an exact to the minute time.........all the clocks and watches in this house are always out of sync by a couple of minutes anyway let alone all the families that I care for.In a query over what time the child entered or left my care it would be very difficult to prove it to the exact minute.
    I have one clock on the wall in the hall that is my 'drop-off / pick-up' clock- all my records go from that one apart from school drop-off / pick-up times and then I use my phone clock....
    God Bless xx T

Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Aug12
    Post Thanks / Like

I must admit, Im also a bit miffed as to how you can actually do this and please everyone!

Reason being: I pick up from 2 schools (3pm & 3.25pm) when either of the bells go off & they come out, my phone clock says about 2.54 & 3.22- If something came up & times were questioned surely the school would argue that they didnt let them out till 3pm & 3.25pm as they would be going by their clocks & bells not by my phone?! Even with my nursery drop off & collection, their clock is even faster!

Also, if you have say 3 toddlers with you, other kiddies and then another child comes out of class & starts chatting away about their day, I dont know about any of you but I wouldnt remember to get my phone out to check the exact minute of the time, let alone stop everything to write it down as my memory can be awful at times lol.

Suppose I better start doing it rather than just put 3/3.25!

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It would be impossible for me to accurately record the exact time I collect each individual child from school - I pick up up to 10 children every day from different schools and different classrooms, with others wandering down to the school gate to meet me. We have to negotiate crowds of adults and children, cars turning where they shouldn't and busy roads.

Is is really their preference that I stand there with a pen, notepad and a stopwatch rather then keep an eye on my mindees?

Anyone who questioned this on a health and safety basis will be invited to do a school run with me and see how I work with all the children to get them home quickly and safely whilst educating them on road safety as we go along.

Post Thanks / Like

do we have to use an attendance register or is writing it in on your diary ok. I gave up writing out those awful registers about 18 months ago and no one, ie Ofsted/network team have noticed.

Dec 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulaR View Post
    do we have to use an attendance register or is writing it in on your diary ok. I gave up writing out those awful registers about 18 months ago and no one, ie Ofsted/network team have noticed.
    Attendance register is the first thing the inspector asked for here and she goes through it 'with a fine tooth comb', questioning everything....... It's crazy!
    God Bless xx T

feb 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I write my attendance times in my diary too and Ofsted said that was fine last time they came.

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulaR View Post
    My ofsted inspecter looked at mine, I do it in a A4 diary set out in sections before school all day and after school, she was ok with it and said that it was fine doing it that way, I don't see why I have to pay silly money for a full register when I can get a diary for £1 I have done this for more years than i can remember and shall carry on doing it this way
    Cath

BucksCM Guest

I used to write the times in my A4 diary and then transfer them to the AR...Ofsted asked my why I was doubling my workload by repeating it? She said just once in the diary was fine!
    BUT, it has been mentioned on other threads that by using the AR you can get the parents to sign them...and this can be invalueable if you have a complaint and need paperwork to back you up.

I was told though, that the times have to be to the minute