Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Check your car insurance

NCMA magazine p.17 has an advertorial about their Motorminder policy. It says Class 1 and Class 2 business use is not adequate for childminders, we should all have class 3.

I've always bought Class 1, having told the insurance providers I am a childminder and checking the policy is suitable before buying each policy - so I assumed the NCMA "advertorial" was simply designed to frighten people into buying their policy.

Sheilas wheels have an online chat facility, I spoke to Pam there and she explained that different insurance providers have different definitions for each class. For example, their Class 3 is just to enable other named drivers to use the car in connection with the business as well as the main policy holder. She assures me their Class 1 is suitable for childminders. Another website says their Class 3 is for transporting light goods.

Anyway, my current insurance provider Ecarinsurance now tell me that I am not covered by my policy -

"Unfortunately, we are unable to cover you to carry passengers as a
    occupation. The underwriters calculate this as too high risk to the
    insurance company."

So my recommendation is, whichever class of business use you buy, to get written confirmation that the policy covers you for transporting minded children and keep it on file.

Susi

Sept 00
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Check your car insurance

i insure with leighton blakham who are brokers that specifically insure childminders so i am sure they would know their stuff
    i have no idea what business class i am in as i just told them it was for a childminder and they put that on my form

Post Thanks / Like

I do not drive so this does not affect me

Thank you though Susi for pointing it out - that is something you might not know and could over look so handy to know

Thank you

Angel xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll mention this to my husband, who handles the insurance as well as does the chauferring. I saw that in Who Minds but didn't read it very closely.
    Why is "phonics" not spelled the way it sounds?

Apr 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

ajs, you'll be fine then, thats the company who do the NCMA policies - (Motor Minder) so I would expect the policy may well state that you're a childminder on it?

Jan 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

After reading the NCMA article yesterday I thought I would double check, I did tell 'sheila's wheels' about my business when I took the insurance out. I am pleased to say that they have confirmed that their policy with buisness class 1 insurance covers childminders, the guy kindly checked the small print for me when I told him about the article. Deffinatlely worth checking though!

Kell

registe
    Post Thanks / Like

Having read the aricle I'm gonna check my policy too, always am very specific when asking for quote etc, but just goes to show.
    Didn't like the way the article was placed, just looked like an article at first glance, only on closer inspection do you see it's just a glorified advert

Apr 98
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw this article too and it is on my list to contct my insurers

I am insured by Tesco......is anyone else with Tesco?......and have you checked?
    Dee
    Independent Cambridge Diet Counsellor

Life may not be the party we hoped for.......but while we're here we should dance!

June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: Check your car insurance

So glad I went with the childinding insurance when I changed my policy. I also would be interested if anyone has anything to say about article who minds mag about us having to register to carry people for payment or reward like a taxi licence I mentioned it in a thread yesterday and no one seems to have picked up on it yet I can't find the article just at the moment but, its made me mad I mentioned it at the childminding group this morning.

Celine.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Celine Mcguire View Post
    So glad I went with the childinding insurance when I changed my policy. I also would be interested if anyone has anything to say about article who minds mag about us having to register to carry people for payment or reward like a taxi licence I mentioned it in a thread yesterday and no one seems to have picked up on it yet I can't find the article just at the moment but, its made me mad I mentioned it at the childminding group this morning.

Celine.
    Didn't see that thread sorry Celine! What is it saying? That we need a special registration to carry passengers?

I know there was something new about insurance for minibuses recently, but didn't think it applied to us.... can you fill me in and I'll try and get some info.

I'm with MM for my car insurance thank goodness!

Jan 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Celine, I did glance at that article, but must admit I didn't really look at it, I was always under the impression if your vehicle had over 9 seats the taxi licence applied, or something to that effect, (although I do feel like a taxi most of the time) I will sit and read the article tonight though.

Kelly

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Couldnt we put in our contract that any monies paid to ourselves only covered the time that the children were not in the car. That any time they were transported in the car the parents were not being charged and we were giving free childcare. Not that we would change our rates but this would shut everyone up and the parents would agree because they would still want the children taken out. Does every one understand what i mean

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with AA insurance and when took it on am down as a childminder with 1st class business, I am a wimp and will get hubby onto it tomorrow, will let you know what they say

These things do need confirming, just a good job it's the end of the month, no fuel in car

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Susi

I'll pass this on

Miffy xx

july 20
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i checked with mine yesterday, tesco and i am covered.

hazelx

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

myself and partner are covered to drive each others cars and other (if insured and got permission).

i spoke to our insurance bout cover for myself when i become a childminder and they said i will be covered all i have to do it change my ocupation on it all

so glad at that there wont be an extra charge either.

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We are with Direct Line. hubby drives us around but I do hold a driving licence even though i never drive and am classed as a named driver on the policy. We were told Class 1 covered us 5 years ago so I got him to ring up and confirm this. and get it in writing. Anyway they have sent it in writing!!!!!! only didn't put that the class 1 covered childminding usless so and so's (note to self organ grinder do it next time not hte monkey)
    love Kate
    Save the earth it's the only planet with chocolate

Apr 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Recommend you do not rely on what you may be told over the phone. If your insurance provider tells you you are covered (like ecarinsurance told me) then ask them to confirm in writing.

Sheilas Wheels told me that they automatically cover childminders with their Class 1 business insurance. But when I asked again, and asked them to confirm in writing what they actually wrote was that cover is only provided where the work is of a voluntary nature !!!!!

BTW Didn't know Morton Michel did car insurance but they do and say that their policy states “Social, Domestic, Pleasure and Business use in connection with childcare activities”.

jul 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    out standing
    Post Thanks / Like

sound interesting must check
    outstanding x 2

Mar 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I know this is an old thread that I am ressurecting, but this has just been brought BACK up here where I live.
    2 years ago we heard the rumour re needing a taxi licence, but were virtually told by the early years that what had happened was, some "group" had been managing to slip through the net of not getting PSV licence and so they had re-worded the legislation and we had been grouped into it. The thing was they actually said it DIDNT really apply to us and we didnt need to do anything about it.
    A week ago we all got a letter from the local borough telling us we needed to be aware of this legislation and that as we carry children for "hire or reward" we may need to apply for a PSV licence. Informing us to contact VOSA to find out.
    I spoke to several childminders who all said BIN THE LETTER....but then I got a text from a new childminder whose husband had gotten involved and he was digging and digging and said basically childminders DO need it and that he had all the details...lots of details but basically we have to take taxi licence, your car is checked every 10 weeks to ensure it is road worthy, you have to have 4,000 in the bank to ensure you can pay for repairs..and the big one for me - since I would be the licence holder...my car would he classed as a taxi and therefore it would only be ME that could drive my car!!
    I rang early years, who really seemed CLUELESS and basically said they were just making us aware (sort of washing their hands kind of thing).
    So...I rang VOSA after 1/2 hour I finally got through to someone and was told as I had less that 9 seats it did not apply
    So...I rang early years AGAIN...who didnt sound convinced but still were unwilling to get involved...and suggested that IF that was the case get it in writing....I rang VOSA again...and was told exactly the same...then was transferred to the PSV department who ALSO told me they would NOT issue me a licence as I had under 9 seats. So I was happy.

That night I had a phone call from this childminders husband saying VOSA told me WRONG, because I did not inform them that I do it for "hire or reward"...I am a childminder....its not rocket science to work out what I do He was ranting on and on and on and was talking about going to MP'S

Anyway yesterday I rang VOSA AGAIN!!! The man I spoke to STILL insisted that I do NOT need a licence and if I asked him for one he wouldnt give me one!! He gave me the email address of the main guy in his office and I am awaiting a reply.

Just wondering if anyone else has had any more experience re this...tho I am thinking its just OUR borough since this thread is 2 years old

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast