Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 97
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Important note about NCMA Insurance

I haven't been on this site long, so forgive me if I'm telling everyone what they already know...

I expect we all complete our accident and incident paperwork when children injure themselves in anyway, but are you aware that you MUST contact the NCMA to inform them. You will then be sent paperwork to complete which is kept on file until the child is well into their 20's in case a claim is made.

If you do not notify them you may find that your insurance cover will not be honoured.

I have found that many childminders in my area are not aware of this.

Don't get caught out!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Important note about NCMA Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by Helliewelly View Post
    I haven't been on this site long, so forgive me if I'm telling everyone what they already know...

I expect we all complete our accident and incident paperwork when children injure themselves in anyway, but are you aware that you MUST contact the NCMA to inform them. You will then be sent paperwork to complete which is kept on file until the child is well into their 20's in case a claim is made.

If you do not notify them you may find that your insurance cover will not be honoured.

I have found that many childminders in my area are not aware of this.

Don't get caught out!
    Even if we do know something, there is nothing wrong with a reminder!

I know you do have to inform your insurance if it involves a child going to hospital (this applies to Morton Michel too), you also have to inform Ofsted.

but are you saying you have to inform them for every form you fill out? Even for minor accidents?
    Pauline x

Pipsqueak Guest

Can you explain a bit more please?

I was aware that if a child has a serious accident/injury - serious being deemed a trip/treatment to hospital (or death) that we had to inform Ofsted and Riddor (had to follow this procedure recently).
    I was aware that we had to notify EV for food poisoning (2 chilren or more) and infectious diseases etc.

But I have not heard that we have to inform NCMA of anything and when the accident happened with one of my mindees a friend of mine who is an NCMA employee and well up on H&S never mentioned that I have to inform NCMA (perhaps she wasn't aware?).

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I can understand for large accidents requiring medical treatment, but are we expected to inform them of every bump and cut that occurs whilst in our care.

I dont have a lot of incidents and the children I mind at the moment arent too accident prone, but have had ones in the past that mum has to sign nearly every week

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just looked in my NCMA Accident/Incident folder and there is a note that says:

If an accident occurs, if you have an NCMA public liability insurance policy you must complete an accident/incident report form, available from NCMA on (telephone number). This is necessary should a claim be made against you at a later date. The form should be completed & returned to NCMA. You may wish to keep a copy for your records. The total life of the policy is 21yrs & 4 months. This is to enable the child to make a claim against the policy at a later date.

Doesn't really make it any clearer does it?

june 05
    Post Thanks / Like

from the sounds of that it seems each time we fill in accident form we then send it to ncma. surely thats a bit much, I knew we had to keep them for 21yrs but to send it off each time I fill on in. Suppose it saves us keeping the paperwork all that time if they are keeping a record of it.

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This is an extract from NCMAs PL insurance fact sheet - should clarify

Reporting accidents
    If a child in your care has an accident, it must be reported to NCMA immediately if
    attention by a medical professional has been sought or if it may result in a claim
    (regardless of whether a claim is currently being made against you). NCMA’s public
    liability insurance covers members against accidents and incidents to the children in
    their care, but if a child has an accident it may not be until much later that the child or
    family make their legal claim. This means if a child or family made a claim against
    you during this period you would be covered, providing you held NCMA public liability
    insurance at the time of the accident and you had reported it to NCMA and Royal &
    Sun Alliance Insurance plc (RSA), the company which provides NCMA’s insurance
    policy. Of course, children have minor accidents all the time and members have
    asked what type of accidents and incidents should be reported to NCMA and RSA.
    X
    Public liability insurance
    NCMA insurance factsheet 1
    www.************* Page 7 of 14 Last updated: 11/09
    RSA has provided the following guidelines on when a claim form should be
    completed:
    • A childminder should continue to log any “injury” to a childminded child in their
    accident book for signature (and comments if wished) by the parent at the end of
    the same day. If there is no adverse reaction from the parent to the incident then
    the incident need not be notified to NCMA, but RSA would expect the accident
    book to be retained by the childminder for future reference if needed. Insurers
    would require the accident records to be kept indefinitely (a claim could be made
    up to three years after a minor reaches the age of consent or longer depending
    on the extent of the injury).
    This action would not invalidate the policy.
    • All other serious accidents or incidents which clearly might result in an insurance
    claim, e.g. an accident involving a doctor or hospital visit, must be notified
    immediately to NCMA who will log and acknowledge receipt of your
    correspondence and forward your information to RSA.
    • If there are any other incidents that you are unclear about then these too should
    be notified immediately to NCMA who will log and acknowledge receipt of your
    correspondence and forward your information to RSA.
    If you do have a serious accident or incident, you can request a report form by calling
    NCMA’s head office or emailing insurance@************* .Once NCMA has received
    your report, it will be logged with both NCMA and RSA, who will send you an
    acknowledgement, including a claim reference number issued by the insurer.
    Renewing your insurance policy
    Your public liability insurance runs concurrently with your NCMA membership
    renewal date. When the time comes to renew your policy, we will send you a renewal

Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I've just looked in my NCMA Accident/Incident folder and there is a note that says:

If an accident occurs, if you have an NCMA public liability insurance policy you must complete an accident/incident report form, available from NCMA on (telephone number). This is necessary should a claim be made against you at a later date. The form should be completed & returned to NCMA. You may wish to keep a copy for your records. The total life of the policy is 21yrs & 4 months. This is to enable the child to make a claim against the policy at a later date.

Doesn't really make it any clearer does it?
    I wouldn't want to be the one working in the logging and filing department at the NCMA for this part of the job, especially if it's for every bump and graze

Watching this with interest!

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that Christine e, makes it clearer.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Christine.

I suppose if you're ever in doubt as to whether or not an accident should be reported, it only takes a phone call to ask.

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Thanks Christine.

I suppose if you're ever in doubt as to whether or not an accident should be reported, it only takes a phone call to ask.
    Yep that's right but for everyday bumps and bruises that are not cause for concern no need to report

Cx