Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: scma membership

Registered Childminder since
    july 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default scma membership

Hi
    I'm in scotland and will be registered from the end of the month. I have been looking into the public liability insurance with morton michel and SCMA. The lady from the Care Commission recommended taking insurance and membership with SCMA so that I can access all the information but a couple of my friends who are childminders don't recommend it. what do you think I should do, i've read the posts about ncma and some of you think its worth it and others don't, getting a bit confused now.

Kirstyxxxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    6 Excellent
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: scma membership

I am with SCMA and chose it over MM as it means I can access training with the SCMA - plus as a newbie I felt more at ease with it than an unknown their contracts etc.

Dec '06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    V Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Im also with SCMA and chose it over MM as when the CCO come to inspect you the prefer you to be with them and have their quarterly magazines that get sent out. There is also a forum and you get a chance for lots of training through them
    Fiona xx

May-09
    Post Thanks / Like

I only just got registered ... I decided to go with SCMA and their insurance.
    It was recommended and I felt that at least for the first year I will stick with it to get training, information, start up packs etc.
    Also when I looked into the insurance it looked quite good to me (it covered more than my previous insurance and was also less money..)
    Nicole xx

June 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am also insured with SCMA, I havent properly started yet but it seemed good as a whole package.

Jun 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Grade 6
    Post Thanks / Like

Mmmm I think it's the same as everything else, all insurances are OK until you try to make a claim!!! I'm with SCMA/Royal sun alliance, never used the insurance, but the helpline is good and the training you can access is good too, and our local CDO is great so I'll be sticking with them.
    Ali xx

july 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. I think i'm going to go with SCMA for the first year anyway just so I can have access to as much info as possible and try and see if there are any childminding groups in Kilmarnock so I can meet some other childminders.

Kirsty xxxx

Jan 90
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Kirsty,
    I'm a new member of the Forum but have been a Childminder in Kilmarnock for almost 20 years now. I'm the secretary of the Kilmarnock and District Childminding Group (KDCMG) and we organise various events for our children (and us Childminders also) throughout the year. We are always pleased to welcome new members so if you are interested get in touch.
    On the insurance side I'm a MM person myself but for new Childminders learning the ropes the SCMA is not such a bad idea.
    Janis XXX