PLI: level of cover from Pacey
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Simona Guest

Default PLI: level of cover from Pacey

I have received a PLI renewal reminder from Pacey who insures us via RSA (Royal Sun Alliance)...the same company that also insures cms in PLA, Independent Childminders Social Enterprise but I think the level of cover offered varies from one association to the other

This is my renewal offer:
    m'ship is £ 55
    PLI cover for £5,000,000 is £26.29
    this is the level I have been getting for the last 12 years

At the bottom of the renewal there is a quote for cover for £10,000,000 for £98.50...This is 'ADDITIONAL' cover to the £26.29 so I contacted Pacey for clarification...which cover should I get?

it appears that some LAs are asking cms to be insured to a higher level of £10,000,000 if:
    1. they belong to a network
    2. look after children with complex needs (this MAY be linked to looking after vulnerable 2 year olds but I am trying to find this out)
    3. work in partnership with the LA

In other words this is an 'additional condition' imposed on cms...has your LA asked you to insure yourself for a higher level?

I have flagged up this matter because if Pacey were aware of this they should have informed cms and acted for this condition to be removed...my LA does not ask for a higher premium so that means the request is subject to LA's own rule and obviously not a requirement....however. it does make our insurance very very expensive

Please share your experience ...is your LA asking you for a higher level of cover?

Registered Childminder since
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for this. My PLI is up for renewal soon and I had no idea there were differing levels of cover. LA hasn't said anything.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing here either

The way things are going the LA won't have any say!
    Debbie

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm shopping round at the moment and have noticed that there are different levels of PLI.

I preferred it when it was straight forward! It does make some of the insurances very expensive.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I'm shopping round at the moment and have noticed that there are different levels of PLI.

I preferred it when it was straight forward! It does make some of the insurances very expensive.
    I am doing the same and appear to have opened a can of worms here....but Pacey is not the only one adding a second level of insurance

Have just been told by Pacey insurance dept that there is a 'handful' of LAs who require this higher level

If in doubt please contact your LA...I feel on this they cannot be unhelpful
    lets share info on this...I will be back if I have any news

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    I am doing the same and appear to have opened a can of worms here....but Pacey is not the only one adding a second level of insurance

Have just been told by Pacey insurance dept that there is a 'handful' of LAs who require this higher level

If in doubt please contact your LA...I feel on this they cannot be unhelpful
    lets share info on this...I will be back if I have any news
    I'm going to dig out the contract I signed with the LA for the 3 & 4 year old funding and see if it says anything on there.

Simona Guest

Here are some answers
    PLA will add a cover for £10,000,000 at £83.00 in addition to the basic

M Michel will add it for £30 in addition to the basic cover

BUT all are saying we do not need it 'unless' specifically required by the LA

Mouse..I have a feeling the only cms with a LA contract will be those in a network who drew funding before so where do cms now included in the funding stand?

I will not up my level unless required...I am confused!!!

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Haven't got a development officer anymore so don't have any communication with my LA other than a monthly e-mail bulletin which applies mostly to Nurseries - have applied for an Entitlement pack to do funding, so will read that to see if it mentions it. I am with Morton Michel so pleased to see that their quote is a little more reasonable if I do have to get additional cover. Thank you for highlighting this.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am not aware of any Local Authorities asking for this extra cover - Cheshire East didn't mention it during our recent meetings. However, I am relieved to see that Morton Michel will provide it for a reasonable amount should it be required in the future.

I am a little concerned about why it has not been mentioned by anyone except Pacey though... surely the providers ought to be told first??

sept 93
    Post Thanks / Like

nothing from my LA either but we dont get much support from them anyway

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    I am not aware of any Local Authorities asking for this extra cover - Cheshire East didn't mention it during our recent meetings. However, I am relieved to see that Morton Michel will provide it for a reasonable amount should it be required in the future.

I am a little concerned about why it has not been mentioned by anyone except Pacey though... surely the providers ought to be told first??
    Pacey did not mention it either...the higher cover has been added in our renewal form and that is where I spotted it.
    It is only because I questioned it that I realised what it meant but...as said only a handful of LAs require it and looks very much to me to be an additional hoop for network cms

Both PLA and M Michel have high cover in place but they do not advertise it either...only when cms ask for a higher cover they are offered it at an extra cost

I intend to pursue this as well as it is ridiculous cms are asked for an additional expense that maybe totally unnecessary...More Affordable Childcare? I think NOT!!

The advice from MM, Pacey and PLA is the same: do not get that cover unless specifically asked by your LA

12. Likes hectors house, sarah707 liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

How nice of the jolly old LA's to slap another expensive condition on CMs.

Am I alone in thinking parents are not entirely comforted by the idea of a bigger insurance payout if we damage their little darlings? Wouldn't they rather we just return them un-broken?

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    How nice of the jolly old LA's to slap another expensive condition on CMs.

Am I alone in thinking parents are not entirely comforted by the idea of a bigger insurance payout if we damage their little darlings? Wouldn't they rather we just return them un-broken?
    One of the reason quoted made me laugh: those LAs who require cms to have a higher PLI to work in 'partnership' with them...really?