Pacey statement about agencies
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Simona Guest

Default Pacey statement about agencies

Pacey have released this statement about agencies:

''In light of the recent progress of the Children and Families Bill this week PACEY would like to reassure members that we will shortly be publishing a downloadable briefing which provides a clear outline of the risks to joining an agency. This can be used to share with other childminders including prospective childminders and those who are new to the profession.
    To coincide with the Achieving Two Year Olds conference PACEY attended a fortnight ago, we also issued a briefing to local authorities.
    This sets out PACEY's concerns with childminder agencies and offers free advice if local authorities want to discuss these concerns in more detail. This is now being used to brief early years decision makers in all local authorities.

Both briefings will be available to download from the website next early next week.

We are also working with other Parliamentarians to find out the names of the 60 pilot organisations, so we can start to scrutinise their plans and progress.
    And, as you know, next month we will launch the findings of the IPPR study which over 1000 childminders (members and non-members) have taken part in. A significant part of this study focuses on the impact of agencies on childminding's sustainability'' (end)

I have a few questions on this and have posted some on pacey local

1. it is unclear whether new cms MUST register with agencies or can they do so with ofsted?

2. LAs have contacted Ofsted and shown an interest on agencies (as per feedback from the PLA conference) alongside Headteachers and employers

3. Sharon Hodgson MP confirmed on Thursday at the conference I and pacey attended that Labour have tabled questions about the 60 interested in agencies

4. LA are now aware that they must include cms in the 2 year old funding as was clear at the 5 June conference I attended and the same conference was repeated on 6th June ...I believe pacey were there on that day
    If the DfE have failed to convince the LAs on our inclusion how does pacey think they can be more influential on this matter?

5. while pacey is right not to help develop the agency model with the Task and Finish group, I feel they could have participated as observers and do not remember being surveyed on this
    We also know that those in that group are not interested in agencies and very concerned

Registered Childminder since
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Simona

Aug 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the info is it ok if i share this info with our local CM group ?

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am looking forward to seeing the briefing that PACEY is sending to LA's as i hope it includes clarity on childmidners offering funding for 2 yr olds.

Thanks for letting us know x

Simona Guest

No reason why not...we need to share with as many cms as possible.
    Yes it will be interesting to see what LAs are told and how they react ?

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

did pacey release these two briefing this week? I was loking forward to reading them particular the one for LA's.

Simona Guest

The briefings were released after Pacey attended the Achieving 2 year old funding conference
    I will keep you posted on any updates as I get them from Pacey Local

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote from orginal post "Both briefings will be available to download from the website next early next week"

Thanks Simona, i think what i meant by my question is how do i get to see the briefing's that they have sent to LA's and the one for childminders in regards to agencies. I have searched their site but cannot find them.

Simona Guest

Sorry misunderstood......Oh...I too would like to see those...very much so!
    what is more pacey could feedback on the 'Achieving 2 year old' event of 6 June which they attended with LAs
    Truss addressed them...what did she say to them about including cms?

I received an email for the DfE yesterday, the same man who was at the conference and also addressed London Pacey event:

''I explained at the conference that at present LAs still have discretion to add quality requirements to providers locally. The government has recently consulted on changing the position so that all providers including childminders who are good and outstanding automatically qualify for free entitlement funding (assuming parents wish to place their child with them).
    The government has yet to issue its response to the consultation and it will obviously take a bit of time to implement any changes after that.'' (end)

Hope this helps all the cms who are still waiting to hear from their LA...what needs to be update is 'The Code of Practice' which allows LAs to impose their restrictions

Not too keen on that comment in bracket 'assuming parents wish to place their child with them'...not just confusing but patronising...
    I thought our inclusion was 'vital' in the success of the scheme?

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Sorry misunderstood......Oh...I too would like to see those...very much so!
    what is more pacey could feedback on the 'Achieving 2 year old' event of 6 June which they attended with LAs
    Truss addressed them...what did she say to them about including cms?

I received an email for the DfE yesterday, the same man who was at the conference and also addressed London Pacey event:

''I explained at the conference that at present LAs still have discretion to add quality requirements to providers locally. The government has recently consulted on changing the position so that all providers including childminders who are good and outstanding automatically qualify for free entitlement funding (assuming parents wish to place their child with them).
    The government has yet to issue its response to the consultation and it will obviously take a bit of time to implement any changes after that
    .'' (end)

Hope this helps all the cms who are still waiting to hear from their LA...what needs to be update is 'The Code of Practice' which allows LAs to impose their restrictions

Not too keen on that comment in bracket 'assuming parents wish to place their child with them'...not just confusing but patronising...
    I thought our inclusion was 'vital' in the success of the scheme?
    Thanks for that Simona, that is what i was waiting for. Until that gets released i cant fight my LA and will have to go through with their accrediation process Doesnt sound like it will be ready for September.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think all the LA's know that it is coming but we will have to wait until the Government tell them
    Debbie

12. Likes AgentTink liked this post
    Simona Guest

And this is the email from James Hempsall who is helping LAs roll out the funding under the title 'Achieving 2 year olds'...
    I have posted his message in another thread because the 2 yo funding/accreditation/networks/3 and 4 yo funding pop up often
    He is promoting the inclusion of cms and knows the frustration we are experiencing
    I sat next to him on 5 June at the London Westminster briefing conference and I am sure he understood our felings
    On 6 June he met with LAs, Truss was there and I believe pacey too which prompted their statement

James writes:

''The Westminster briefing conference was not repeated the following day. It was our Achieving Two Year Olds national network meeting of local authorities and some of their providers. We had 360 people including the minister and I chaired the day. It was very successful.

At the conference, I again called for greater involvement and inclusion of childminders.
    There were many examples of how local authorities are funding their childminders.
    Your LA are right in that the code of practice is being updated for LAs and this will shed more light on the government’s direction for childminders and other elements of the two year old offer.

I guess they are holding back a little until this is confirmed. We don’t know when it will be published – but the DfE know it is important to release it ASAP.
    Our best guess is it will be published this summer. But this depends on Govt. policy and the outcomes of consultations – which I am sure you realise, are subject to changes at the moment following the recent withdrawal of ratio proposals.

In the meantime, the attached report was launched at the national network meeting and this supports the case for including childminders.

My best advice remains for you to maintain contact with your LA and continue to express your interest in providing two year old places.
    It is their decision what they do and who and how they fund. But reports like this may help you to win the argument sooner rather than later'' (end)

The report he referred to is this and has been posted in the forum
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ialsreport.pdf

From his email and the one from the DfE a few days later we can see there some joining up between them and the obstacle is the 'Code of Practice' which allows LAs to put restrictions on cms such as having Level 3 or doing this and that
    What matters for now is the grade...we can face the rest later.

Being patient is what we are asked to be and we have been but the confusion and lack of clarity is utterly frustrating
    My LA has now called a meeting for cms to be told about the funding...at last!!!
    so things are moving despite the fact I feel cross that we seem to be vital in this scheme and yet the LAs are being so slow in recognising our value in looking after these children

It should be them chasing good/o's cms not us going cap in hand...but lets be positive we are finally going to be included and ..yes it has to be in place for Sept as the first 130,000 children become eligible