Have you applied to your LA to draw the 2 year old funding from September?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Simona Guest

Default Have you applied to your LA to draw the 2 year old funding from September?

We have been discussing this topic in another post for a while
    Today Pacey posted this on Local...are you able to draw the funding, is your LA engaging with you or are you still experiencing barriers?
    Do share your experience and, if possible, post your reply on Local as well

''The Government's flagship scheme to provide free childcare places for two year olds is facing a huge shortfall of places after local authorities in many areas have not managed to get enough childcare businesses engaged with the scheme, it was reported today.

Councils in South East England, Birmingham and Manchester are particularly struggling to find nurseries and childminders willing to accept children under the scheme, which offers 15 hours a week free childcare for two-year-olds from disadvantaged families.

James Hempsall, who is overseeing the delivery of the Achieving Two-Year-Olds programme, shrugged off concerns, saying local authorities, who now have a duty to ensure sufficient places, were reporting a "high level of confidence for delivery in September 2013". He said work was focusing on vacant places and creating more flexibility, such as asking nurseries to provide a third session on top of the traditional morning and afternoon sessions.

The BBC article, and many others in the press this week, have focused solely on nursery places, but it is clear that childminders may be better placed to offer the flexibility that the scheme requires to succeed, by taking on a two-year-old under the scheme to fill an existing vacancy in their setting. However, childminders have cited some potential barriers to participation, such as:
    ◦a rate of remuneration set by their local authority which falls below the rate they would normally charge
    ◦not enough information from their local authority about how to get involved
    ◦not having the time to complete the application process to become a provider
    ◦concerns about whether they may be able to offer suitable care in their setting for children who may have multiple and complex needs

Local authorities are being encouraged to actively engage with childminders to promote the scheme and to enrol them as providers.

There are only four months until the scheme is rolled out in September, so if you are interested in becoming a provider, now is the time to act.

You can find more information about the Achieving Two-Year-Olds programme, and how to become a provider, on the Foundation Years website and also download a leaflet with details of the scheme. To get involved, speak to your local authority's early years or childcare team to get details about the local hourly rates offered and what you need to do to become a provider (usually filling out a simple form about your childcare experience).

Are you a childminder who has successfully applied to become a provider under the scheme? What was your experience, from finding out about the scheme to being accepted as a provider, and what advice would you give to others who were considering participating?'' (end)

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have recently started providing a funded place for a two year old. I was approached by my LA a few months ago and expressed an interest. I received the paperwork either late Feb or early March which needed to be completed by March 20th for this summer term. I was approached by a parent a few days before the deadline for the paperwork being returned - parent had received a list of providers for my area and I was on there so contacted me. We met up and we both were happy to go ahead. I completed the paperwork and sent it off with a day to spare. Child started wit me week first week back after Easter holidays (15th April). LA are paying £5.09 per hour term time only and 70% of money for the 13 week term went into bank account on 18th April with remaining 30% due to be paid sometime in June (around the middle of the month). So far the process seems to have been really easy.

Off to post on local now

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am in Birmingham and yes there is a problem which finally should be resolved after this summer term. I don't think many health visitors realise that minders can also provide 2 year old funding not just nurseries. The proem we have is that we are emailed a document called a coga document over 30 pages which we have to print off sign and return. Plus we get paid around week 10. The good news is from September we will be paid the same time as the 3/4 year old funding which is 80 percent at beginning of term and remainder just before end of term.

The 2 year old rate here is £4.85 per hour.
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.

July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been taking 2 yr old funding here in Devon for the last two terms. It's the same process as taking the 3/4 yr old funding here and the headcount forms come through each term together. I've been lucky to have two of my current children turning two and being able to get the funded hours. I havent yet been approached by my children's centre to ask if i have any spaces for any children in need.

funding here is £4.96 per hour for two year olds and £3.64 for 3 yr olds.
    Like my ideas on Facebook 'Play, naturally'

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am able to provide 2 year old funded spaces, but none of my 2 year olds are eligible for it. We have a huge shortage of childcare where I live, paid for, funded, 2 year, 3 year, 4 year, part time or full time. Childcare is stupidly hard to access.

Feb 200
    Post Thanks / Like

I am included in our local directory for 2yr old funding but there isn't much call for it yet, I'm guessing this will change over time. My LA are really helpful in getting CMs registered to take the funding and also in ensuring that parents know their options