Likes Likes:  36
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Registered Childminder since
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont know anything about ncma/pacey as I've never been a member of ncma so can't comment on anything they have done or said. When I started childminding nearly 6 yrs ago I couldn't justify the fee they charged so I didn't join. I didn't really see the need to be a member. Maybe it was just me, and not looking onto it properly but with all the expense of setting up it was just another bit of money to shell out.

To me, they never seemed to do anything? Charge for stationery that I do myself maybe. But if I encountered a problem, like an Ofsted complaint I couldn't see any support or help available. If I have a complaint, I'm on my own to fight my own battles, I'm shut down for weeks while ofsted investigate so no real help out there at all.
    But mostly I think the reason I didn't join was they were a childminding association but I didn't see any proof of them promoting how good childminding was otherwise parents would know everything I do without being totally shocked at all the work I do when I finally get them through the door.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

2. Likes Bob liked this post
    Simona Guest

Poor Annette...she is already overloaded with volunteering work I don't want to add to her load with statistics...publishing them would be best way as members we should be able to see what all this is based on...
    I am only a tiny committee member and matter very little!!...not even sure what I am supposed to do...As said water under a bridge now!

Lets move on now...will ncma help us do battle with our LAs and get that funding sorted whether we belong to a network or not and if our grades allow us?...that's the most important thing now...not that I am dying to get £3.50 for the funding...but lets join the rest of the struggling workforce on the pittance LAs dish out!!!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The government have allowed £5.08 for 2 year old funding and PACEY want to know of LA's paying less than this. Let Annette know as we will no doubt be discussing this at the next meeting
    Debbie

Simona Guest

The actual formula is £ 5.09 (a penny more)...many LA pay more than £6 (mine for instance pays £6.10) but the real issue is the very low funding when the child reaches 3 years...in mine it drops to £3.50 and has been that amount for more than 6 years
    The other issue is that some LAs pay more than a cm's fees so that cm actually makes a profit while many lose out!!

Why is Ncma suddenly asking about the 2 year old funding when for years they have ignored our concerns at the low funding for 3 and 4 year olds since it came out??

I assume 'we' means the NPF and why would you be discussing the funding when there is nothing you can do or will do about it?
    Also if this is your topic up for discussion why do you not post in ncma local and get as much feedback as you can or even put it in the ncma newsletter ...
    at present there are much bigger issues to tackle than a system ncma has been happy to support for a long time...

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TooEarlyForGin? View Post
    This currently has nothing to do with me, and i don't have a working knowledge of PACEY anymore.

It's really good that you are trying to work with them and improve the situation, but I think you may struggle unless there is a change their attitude.

When I first started childminding 10 years ago, i automatically joined the NCMA, feeling it gave me professional image to parents and the back-up I might need as an independent practitioner.

When the EYFS was introduced, there were many of us that disagreed with a lot of it, feeling at the time, it was a massive increase in paperwork, and was not written for us, as childminders. I remember attending regional meetings and I was not the only one by far wanting the NCMA to speak for us, not just lie down and accept what was handed to them by the government. The EYFS called us all "settings" having a corner for this and a corner for that and many felt they should have campaigned to make it more "friendly" for us. All they did was consistently tell us the majority of childminders were in favour and ignored the rest. From that we saw the biggest drop in childminders happen. I resigned, from the NCMA as did several of my friends at the time.
    TEFG has hit on probably the biggest elephant currently sitting in the (play)room.

When CMing was given to Ofsted to regulate, instead of Social Services, it inevitably moved from a care situation into the realm of education and Ofsted had no solution other than to treat CMs as mini-nurseries. It also kick-started the political debate about "quality versus affordability" which resulted in More Great Childcare.

Most strikingly, it infected CMs with a kind of cognitive dissonance bordering on schizophrenia. So many of us want to just let children have some sort of childhood, and resent the pressure of EYFS to make every little thing a matter of "education, education, education." But whilst we resent it, we seem on the other hand to love seeing ourselves as "educators" and make a virtue of telling parents how rigidly we follow EYFS, prepare them for school, and hang our whole 'professional' image on the EYFS.

I've yet to be convinced that the majority of parents are even looking for pre-school education when they ask us to care for their children.

7. Likes Bob, N/A liked this post
    Jul 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Bunyip when I was looking for childcare for my now 10 year old( she was three at the time) you're right I wasn't looking for an educational experience but someone who would keep my child safe and secure and make it easier for me to leave her. Somewhere fun where she wanted to be and it wasn't a trauma for either of us. Nothing worse than having to wrench yourself away from your child screaming when you need to leave them because you have to earn a living. Family had always had her but they were too far away to do the nursery run.

However as a primary teacher in my past life I myself don't have any issues with he EYFS but then I've came into childminding when it was already a requirement.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    The actual formula is £ 5.09 (a penny more)...many LA pay more than £6 (mine for instance pays £6.10) but the real issue is the very low funding when the child reaches 3 years...in mine it drops to £3.50 and has been that amount for more than 6 years
    The other issue is that some LAs pay more than a cm's fees so that cm actually makes a profit while many lose out!!

Why is Ncma suddenly asking about the 2 year old funding when for years they have ignored our concerns at the low funding for 3 and 4 year olds since it came out??

I assume 'we' means the NPF and why would you be discussing the funding when there is nothing you can do or will do about it?
    Also if this is your topic up for discussion why do you not post in ncma local and get as much feedback as you can or even put it in the ncma newsletter ...
    at present there are much bigger issues to tackle than a system ncma has been happy to support for a long time...
    Simona we are going over and over the same details that have been discussed at NPF level. Please can I reiterate that if you want the information then ask Annette as she has it all. She has been to the same meetings.

The information on the rates that 3/4 year olds get opposed to 2 year olds is the same countrywide and this is a matter that PACEY bring up with the Government time and time again. It is not PACEY that controls it yet you seem to think that they are not doing anything. What do you expect them to do about it but advise the Government on what members are saying?

I do agree that we have bigger fish to fry though, so instead of arguing and debating PACEY we should work together
    Debbie

Simona Guest

Chatterbox...you are asking the questions and I am giving you my replies, concerns, what bothers me or doesn't...like everyone else and you keep directing me to my NPF rep...she did not ask me here!

ncma is still my representing association...it would have been better had you titled your post: What does not annoy you about ncma??

I think that the level of funding for 3/4 year olds bothers a lot of cms who may decline to take the 2 year olds due to the huge drop in funding when they get to 3...in my view tackling this has been left too late...only time will tell

next bit that bothers me: I am tired of trying to engage, plead and go cap in hand with my LA to beg for inclusion on behalf of the DfE...not my job really... but Truss' and wish ncma would support more!! see ncma local for posts on this

You have had lots of replies for your next agenda...let us know what comes out of your meeting!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

All questions asked were submitted a couple of weeks ago and I posted this. I won't be taking anymore back to PACEY as I feel that this has become a witch hunt rather than a question and answers session.

As far as I am concerned now this thread subject is closed.
    Debbie

Simona Guest

Freedom of expression is hardly a 'witch hunt'...which witch are we hunting?
    You can close the subject but we can we still carry on with our annoyances I'm sure!

13. Likes Bob, Chatterbox Childcare liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to the questions. I have asked them and should have answers in the very near future which I will post under a new heading.
    Debbie

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123