Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1st inspection tips please

hi everyone got the dreaded call friday night to say i'd be having my first graded inspection on wed afternoon on the plus side the inspector i have is known in our town for being the nicest one and she has given me an exact time to expect he just wanted to check i have everything i need??
    risk assesments for everywhere we go,
    child files cntaining contact details, contaracts,all about me form which was completed with parents when they started, initail child assesment which i completed at start of contract.
    fire log book containing details of alarm checks and fire drill practices.
    p and ps
    a file containing all my certificates, and parent questionaires
    learning journals, ( although one is rubbish as i lost all my photos when my dd posted my phone down the loo )
    mrs o said on the phone i didnt need to have a sef done i just need to show that i am self evaluating how am i meant to show that??? think i might just do a sef anyway??
    any advice greatfully recieved.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure you'll be fine.

Have you also got risk assessments for your home, garden, toys, activities and crafts you provide? Do they show how you consider risks for different age groups? Do you review them at least once a year?

Do you have parental permission forms for things like photos, outings etc?

Do you have a record of the names, days and times the children attend?

I would make a start on your sef (recommend Sarah707's e-book as it can be a bit daunting starting out) it will make you think about the things you do and how/why you do them.

Good luck

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

yes got some permision forms, i have risk assesed the house and garden and included toys and crafts on this do they need a risk assesment of there own??
    all r a have my name date written and review date on.
    got an attendance record , done planning for the year ( topics for each month etc) linked it to eyfs.
    just praying mindee j behaves as he has been sumwhat aggresive lately .
    i was planning on setting up gloop in the sand pit out side with crayons and paper etc on the garden table then getting the dolls house out and puzzles and books inside , do you normally set up activities or just let the los chose what to get out?

Dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It sounds as if you're ready to me! I always set up some toys/activities that I have planned to do but because the toys are at child level they usually end up being swapped around by them. My ofsted inspector liked this as she said it encouraged their independence and freedom of choice
    Have you practised a fire evacuation with the children? I hadn't yet done one when Mrs O came (not even sure why myself!!) she mentioned this in my report
    Good luck in your inspection, let us know how it goes.

Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

yep done fire alarm drills with kids and recorded them , do u think i'll get marked down because of my learning journals
    dreading getting asked questions aswell

Dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My learning journals don't contain many photos, the camera is never anywhere near at brilliant photo opportunity times !! I tend to put other things in there instead such as pictures the children have drawn/painted!
    All Mrs O wanted to know was that the children were happy and that their learning was being linked to eyfs in some way. I know it's easy for me to say(now!) but try not to worry - you've put lots of hard work in and the inspector will see that.

mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boageymonster View Post
    yes got some permision forms, i have risk assesed the house and garden and included toys and crafts on this do they need a risk assesment of there own??
    all r a have my name date written and review date on.
    got an attendance record , done planning for the year ( topics for each month etc) linked it to eyfs.
    just praying mindee j behaves as he has been sumwhat aggresive lately .
    i was planning on setting up gloop in the sand pit out side with crayons and paper etc on the garden table then getting the dolls house out and puzzles and books inside , do you normally set up activities or just let the los chose what to get out?
    sounds like your pretty much ready for it hun. Do you usually set up activities or let lo's choose? i would go with what you usually do otherwise the children might find it a bit strange and start acting up, i had a small planned activity, just playing with blocks and then went with the flow. Good luck, let us know hoew it goes.

Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i normally set up toys but if the child asks for something differnet i get that out, i have a big cupboard in the front room and the toys are kept in there i have way too many to get out all at once.
    i am really unsure of this sef form not sure weather to do one as mrs o sadi not to bother so wondering if i should just write out some sort of self evaluation.? i'm working 9 - 530 mon and tues and have plans for today so really dont have time to do a sef especially as people are saying they spent 50+ hours on theres

mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

i would definately try and get some of it done if you can because altough its not compulsory you must show hoe you self evaluate.

I didnt fill one out for my inspection because i didnt have time and felt that i self evaluated in different ways (evaluate at end of activities/wee etc) but i got dood in all areas except self evaluation which i got satsfactory.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Make sure your forms say who has legal responsibility for the children

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Can't really add much more, hope it goes ok

Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you all, canceled my plans for today and cracked on with this sef!!
    think im doing right the thing im unsure f is when you have to grade yourself i dont want to under sell myself but on the other hand i dont wanna say how great i am for mrs o to think im crazy lol

Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Totally sympathise on all points!!! I have Mrs O coming Wednesday morning so am totally with you!! I honestly wouldnt worry as you sound mega organised....certainly much more than I am!! I am working til 7.30 tonight and then its crack on with the SEF (Working til 630 tomorrow and on a course until 930 ) so I will literally have tonight to get it done...oooo the joys!!!

Lots of luck and keep us posted! If I get time between my Mrs O leaving and your Mrs O coming I'll pop on and fill you in on what she asked etc. xxx

Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

omg just come off the phone and mrs o will be here in the morning instead
    will have 2 mindees and dd home im panicing now lol

Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

hi, I finished my SEF last night and it took me over 4 hours across the weekend, so dont do it in depth if you have lots of things to get ready. Ofsted would have sent you some paperwork at some point after registration with a 'token' you can then use this to access the website. The SEF has detailed guidance question by question and covers everything from how you run your setting, the quality of care, how you promote good outcomes ( enjoy and achieve, feel safe etc).

there was also a booklet called are you ready for your inspection ...this should help you check all is in place too.

It has really helped me feel ready for the inspection as it covers all the things that they probably want to know. Even if you dont fill it in and submit it, have a look at the online guidance if you can and just think about how you would evaluate yourself and what improvements you might like to make.

I am just finishing off my bits and bobs and all my recent obs for the last week or so and then Im done....I hope!! lol

due to the rain I havent got a hope in hell of mowing the grass, but I know thats not an EYFS requirement!!!

just sell yourself, talk about all the positive things that you do.

re: the learning journey, she will see what you do with the children and the other LJ, so you will be fine there.

good luck, I know I will be nervous when they come too

just be yourself and let them see what a good job you are doing.

Sara

Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

inspection complete
    got good in 15 out of the 16 areas so overall good grade. cant wait to see my report now thanks for all your help guys

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boageymonster View Post
    inspection complete
    got good in 15 out of the 16 areas so overall good grade. cant wait to see my report now thanks for all your help guys
    Fantastic!

Well done - hope you have plans to celebrate

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

nice glass of wine and early night for me
    cant believe how well it went, mrs o arrived at 9.40 i checked her id and locked the door behind her, the rain stayed off so i had gloop set up in the sand pit outside the kids decided to get take there shoes and socks of and get in so i refered to it as squidy squelchy from that they procecedd to go on a bear hunt we got blankets to put over the garden set as a cave and played for a good 30 mins like this i then brought them in washed them off and read the bearhunt story to them. we then washed hands again and i sat them in the kitchen where they made ham and cheese wraps for there lunch
    all in all only took just over two hours

Dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default well done!

Well done and congratulations, so glad it went well

Mar 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good