Why socket covers should NOT be used
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for this thread. I've never heard about it before, we've never used them as I think it kind of misses the point of teaching children about safety with electricity anyway but it's nice to know I have some information to give people that don't approve!

Registered Childminder since
    Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gigglinggoblin View Post
    We covered this in a network meeting the other day. Apparently Ofsted will not say you should or should not use them, it is down to your risk assessment so individuals choice. However if you have any socket covers in place at all you need to use them in every single socket including those hidden behind chairs etc as you have assessed them as necessary. Obviously most of us will agree its better not to use them but I thought I would add this in case anyone has any stray ones knocking around as that is where you will have a problem (at least if the inspector knows the guidelines!)

In light of the info above, I'd welcome peoples advice on this:

I am pre-reg and planning to use my son's bedroom for mindees naps - 1 in a travel cot and 1 on my son's bed with a bed guard and their own bedlinen. With his agreement I have made the room safe for young children, but there are 2 double sockets positioned just above mattress height. Even though I know a child's fingers won't fit and that there is nothing small within reach, for some reason I feel anxious about leaving another person's child lying next to an empty socket,* and I was wondering about getting those covers that go over the whole socket plate (like this.) However, it sounds like if I do this, then I would have to cover every other socket plate, even though I am confident that there is no need...

*ETA I suppose it might be because unlike the rest of the time they are with in my care, at nap time they will be out of sight for 10-15minutes at a time in between me checking on them.

Any thoughts on any of this would be very helpful
    Last edited by lisbet; 20-01-2013 at 11:47 AM.

Non childminder member
    safety Expert
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lisbet View Post
    In light of the info above, I'd welcome peoples advice on this:

I am pre-reg and planning to use my son's bedroom for mindees naps - 1 in a travel cot and 1 on my son's bed with a bed guard and their own bedlinen. With his agreement I have made the room safe for young children, but there are 2 double sockets positioned just above mattress height. Even though I know a child's fingers won't fit and that there is nothing small within reach, for some reason I feel anxious about leaving another person's child lying next to an empty socket,* and I was wondering about getting those covers that go over the whole socket plate (like this.) However, it sounds like if I do this, then I would have to cover every other socket plate, even though I am confident that there is no need...

*ETA I suppose it might be because unlike the rest of the time they are with in my care, at nap time they will be out of sight for 10-15minutes at a time in between me checking on them.

Any thoughts on any of this would be very helpful
    Hi Lisbet, it sounds as though you have thought this through and have reached a rational decision. If you state this in your risk assesment then I cannot imagine how any inspector could challenge you on it. Please remember that the instructions to inspectors (page 11 of an Ofsted document that you can find here) include: "Inspectors should not set actions or make recommendations in relation to the use of socket covers and should not refer specifically to these in their reports."

Please also take a look at our FAQ on that type of cover: FAQ

Best wishes, David

Post Thanks / Like

Saw this thread last night AFTER putting socket covers all round my house!

Took them all out this morning before Mrs O arrived for pre-reg. She was perfectly happy with my decision and very pleased to see the info from Fatally Flawed website, ie: I know why they aren't there and could explain it to her.

:-D

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your reply, David

That factsheet was very helpful - The sockets are 4yrs old and in perfect condition, so I think I would only be making them less safe by unscrewing them to fit covers. Hope it's okay, but I've added some quotes from that factsheet to my Socket cover policy to help me explain to any parents that are unsure.

Non childminder member
    safety Expert
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lisbet View Post
    Hope it's okay, but I've added some quotes from that factsheet to my Socket cover policy to help me explain to any parents that are unsure.
    Please feel free to use any of our material to help spread information.

David

7. Likes lisbet liked this post
    Non childminder member
    safety Expert
    Post Thanks / Like

Default NHS Bans socket covers

Please see this new alert from the NHS requiring all NHS Trusts to withdraw socket covers from use:
    https://www.cas.dh.gov.uk/ViewAndAck...AlertID=102494

It says: "This Alert is issued to highlight how, in certain circumstances, the use of plastic 13A (13 amp) electrical socket inserts (sold as safety accessories) can overcome the safety features designed into socket outlets.13A electrical socket inserts should not be used in health or social care premises, nor supplied for use in a home or residence. Any socket inserts currently in use should be withdrawn from use and responsibly disposed of."

It appears that the NHS website has a problem with some browsers! If you have a problem, then try the following link instead: The Department of Health and NHS National Services Scotland have issued an 'Estates and Facilities Alert' about electrical socket covers/protectors

This follows on from recent warnings by Barnardos:
    http://www.fatallyflawed.org.uk/Barnardo.pdf

9. Likes rickysmiths, Chris Bourne liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for keeping us updated.

I haven't ever used covers and I have never had an issue with Ofsted during an Inspection with it. I have been a cm for 22 years.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234