what is the best piece of advice you were given?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    June 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default what is the best piece of advice you were given?

Twiddling my fingers waiting for Ofsted to show up and I was just wondering. Of all the advice you have been given about your inspection ahead of time what was the one thing which really helped you on the day.

It could be a particular piece of paperwork, something you said or did anything which was really helpful.

I need all the help I can get at this point!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: what is the best piece of advice you were given?

Don't do anything differently to usual - children have a habit of dropping you in it if you suddenly change things!

Miffy xx

june 86
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah be yourself, show your evidance and everything will be fine

Sept 00
    Post Thanks / Like

swot up on your policies and make sure when she asks you about them you actually know what you've written

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very good
    Post Thanks / Like

Be yourself,relax and remember they are there to help you not put you down. Good luck with it all .
    Yvonne's little cherubs childminding service

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

To complete your SEF, Definitely helped her to get a feel of my setting and all I do and it was nice to know everything was already there in black and white rather than me having to remember things to tell her on the day while being a bit nervous and having to cope with 3 lo's on the day!

Also as miffy said just be yourself and do what you always do - if you don't use gloves to change nappies, don't start using them for the ofsted inspection as the children will probably say something like 'why are you wearing those?' !! Don't try any new activities on the day, do something that you know the children like and that has been successful in the past, and hopefully it won't go wrong!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, cannot add anymore, just keep things simple and normal
    Needs to Zumba

Dec 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

The best thing i actually did was to get a big cardboard box. Whilst the inspector was here i helped the children colour it and turn it into a bus. It was one of those activities that kept the children amused for ages, stopped them fighting and really impressed the inspector.! I could also talk to her easily whilst we were making it. Good luck with inspection.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Have your paperwork out and ready - and make sure it is your paperwork so if you are asked questions on it you actually will know the answers

Dont change your routine - it confuses the children and they are likely to drop you in it!

Dont try anything 'new' to 'impress' the inspector - it will more than likely backfire!

If you can, do your SEF - they like to see it. The difference between satisfactory, good and outstanding is that you have to do 'more than required' to get a higher grade and you have to have evidence available (written, photos, etc).

If you do planning, plan things for yourself (future training), changes you would like to make to your setting or to toys (funds allowing).

Dont worry about your accounts being up to date - they are between yourself and the taxman so Ofsted never look at them

HTH

June 98
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

POST REMOVED BY AUTHOR DUE TO OFFENCE UNWITTINGLY CAUSED
    Last edited by balloon; 04-10-2009 at 04:41 PM.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onceinabluemoon View Post
    relax!

Don't chase the 'outstanding' grade, its just a name and doesn't make any difference to the amount or type of business you'll get. It's seriously worthless!
    I couldn't agree more ! It has made no difference to my setting whatsoever. It has just made me more stressed in wondering if I'll keep it after my next inspection ( I won't ! ). It has caused some bad feeling from other minders too

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by onceinabluemoon View Post
    relax!

Don't chase the 'outstanding' grade, its just a name and doesn't make any difference to the amount or type of business you'll get. It's seriously worthless!
    While I agree it doesn't get me more money or more customers I am sorry but I take offence that you say my grade is worthless.

I worked incredibly hard to get it and I am very very proud of it.

It was the reason I was invited to the Nursery World conference last week at which I represented childminders throughout the country to the very best of my ability.

it is also one of the reasons why I am asked to write information for various training establishments round the country.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mumx3 View Post
    Twiddling my fingers waiting for Ofsted to show up and I was just wondering. Of all the advice you have been given about your inspection ahead of time what was the one thing which really helped you on the day.

It could be a particular piece of paperwork, something you said or did anything which was really helpful.

I need all the help I can get at this point!
    Put something into your SEF so the inspector has a base from which to work!

Also try to relax and go with your routine - remember things like hand washing and signing the register as soon as the children walk in...

However nervous you are, it's your routine that will see you through.

Good luck!

Latest Inspection Grade
    6 Excellent
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with OIABM and Twinkles in that whatever grading you get yes it's just a word, it is a snapshot of one day/morning in your service and not always a true representation of your every day service. If I had my inspection on a day when the children were being pains, I was stressing, not passing over as much info as I was able to on the day, I would probably have gotten a 5 same as last time and not the 6 I did.

Don't get hung up on it, be yourself, do what you normally do and use it as a learning experience.

OCT 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Just remember Ofsted inspectors are only human they can make mistakes after all they are only seeing a very small snapshot of how you actually work

Allie

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Be yourself!!!!
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

that they are not here to be scary and tell you off they are here to help you

my inspector rang me and i told her how nerves i was and she said don't worry if anything is not quite right we can fix it

June 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all, it has really helped reading your replies. Waiting has made me more stressed about it.

Today I have been cleaning the house from top to bottom AGAIN! and tweaking paperwork which didnt really need tweaking. I think I am going to try to have the evening off. My husband is going to take the kids to his sisters for sunday dinner and leave me to finish tidying up after the weekend and setting out the role play stuff I have planned for tommorrow and then bring the kids back at bedtime so as the house doesnt get destroyed again.

My poor family have been wonderful putting up with me, my husband took a couple of things to the dump today that had been hiding in the cupboard under the stairs and annoying me! They have all helped, even my 4 year old has been helping by sorting some toy boxes out and putting a few bits back in the right boxes etc. My 10 year old tidied her room today, she said she doesnt want Mrs Ofsted writing on her clipboard "daughter has untidy bedroom" !!!! Her room isnt regisitered but she thought she might look!

I am just going to do my best and be my usual self as I think I am doing a good job and the mindees all seem to be having a lovely time. And whatever happens I will try to remember that I have only been doing the job for one month.

Thanks again, and sorry for the monologue. It was most carthartic

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    While I agree it doesn't get me more money or more customers I am sorry but I take offence that you say my grade is worthless.

I worked incredibly hard to get it and I am very very proud of it.

It was the reason I was invited to the Nursery World conference last week at which I represented childminders throughout the country to the very best of my ability.

it is also one of the reasons why I am asked to write information for various training establishments round the country.
    I agree with Sarah on this one! She does some amazing work and i got my grade by using Sarahs guides and information.
    Monkey by Name........Monkey by Nature!

June 98
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

POST REMOVED BY AUTHOR DUE TO OFFENCE UNWITTINGLY CAUSED
    Last edited by balloon; 04-10-2009 at 04:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast