Our recent inspection
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jun 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Our recent inspection

So got the call. Googled her and got a load of info from linked in and Facebook! Helped us to be a bit in the know about her!! We were also able to look at a couple of inspections she’d done previously and noted the things she appeared to be hot on - safeguarding and info sharing with nurseries.
    She was very pleasant during the inspection but infuriatingly didn’t bother reading the document I’d prepared in place of the SEF. This is the second inspection where we have been bombarded with questions that are outlined on the SEF/our self evaluation.
    Her main focus was safeguarding, what further training we had done and how well we know the kids in our care (next steps/ how to build on interests etc). And feedback from parents/nurseries.
    We don’t do any training that is not compulsory but peruse forums like this one and read up on latest legislation / relevant information online. We have found Sarah Neville’s Blogs/vlogs, Facebook posts and threads on this forum absolutely invaluable and I am 100% certain her help and dedication have made a massive difference to our setting and the policies and procedures we have in place. We shared this with the inspector and she was very impressed. Her only comment was that we should keep a log of things we read/online training as a CPD log.
    Safeguarding was the usual questions - what would you do if etc. Quite a few questions on the subtleties of how to recognise signs of radicalisation etc.
    We were faulted at not receiving feedback from two nurseries. We have asked/emailed repeatedly with no joy so hardly seems fair to penalise us but she said that this recommendation would give us the incentive to improve their communication with us.. I do now wish I’d asked her how exactly........!

The whole inspection lasted 4 hours but it flew by and was quite pleasant - luckily we could get out in the garden and with 5 boisterous under 3s on roll that day, the good weather was a godsend.

What irked us slightly was how the inspector constantly made suggestions on how we could build on resources/ideas. “You could introduce pots of water with paintbrushes for the children to make marks”. (Did she honestly think with 20 plus years experience we’ve never thought of that before?!?) Another beauty - “have you thought about putting a blanket on the grass outside and sitting with baby” (seriously!!!)
    She was also extremely insistent that we involve children with meal preparation which is something we do obviously but in our own way. Her insistence that we allow a 2 year old child (this particular child is quite a loose cannon although he behaved impeccably on the day!) to cut an apple with a sharp knife was ludicrous. But she was quite relentless. I explained we give them implements and blunt knives/scissors to use with play doh and introduce more relevant utensils with food preparation as and when we feel it is approriate for each child to do so.

A lot of her comments were really patronising and many completely redundant. But the thing that wound me up the most was that she would ask a question and then interrupt my response by chatting to a child!! Not even a child who was approaching her - she would just lean down and say “oooh isn’t that a lovely ball you’ve got there!” when I was talking to her!!! Not once or twice - but repeatedly!! It was a joke! I felt that my responses were rushed and I didn’t feel I fully explained a lot of what I wanted to impart. She jumped topic quicker than a frog on hot sand!

My recommendations to anyone about to be inspected would be - google your inspector and find previous inspection reports. Pay close attention to the areas that seem important to her and make sure your procedures etc in those areas are strong.
    You have to know the children in your care inside out and backwards. Next steps and what you do to evaluate their development.
    Self evaluate and show that you do. How/when you do it.
    How you share info with other providers and parents.
    Think about every aspect of your setting and be confident in how you do things and why. They like to see that you have evaluated EVERYTHING. Even if they don’t agree, if you can demonstrate you’ve thought about something and have good valid reasons for doing it that way that’s good enough. Be confident in your judgement.
    Lastly - we shouldn’t be afraid to stand up to the inspectors. I wish now I’d said something about how rudely she kept interrupting and how a lot of her suggestions weren’t really warranted. I was worried she’d mark us down which is wrong. I should have stood up for what I believe in and the consequences be dammed. But hindsight is a wonderful thing.......
    Last edited by Fitrix; 19-04-2018 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Added a bit!

2. Likes loocyloo, FloraDora, Maza, sarah707, JAZZZ liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

well done.

and thank you for the 'review'.

my inspector also commented on 'working with other settings' and said, with a laugh ... ''I've got to put SOMETHING and maybe, if you send your report to those settings that aren't working with you, maybe they will! '' ... I tried, but I can't say it made much difference! The one thing I did and still do, is that every time I email or phone or talk to another setting ... I make a note of it/what was said in the relevant childs LJ ... so at least I can SHOW that I am TRYING! and if I get an email reply ... then I print it out and stick it in!

Frustrating she didn't read your 'SEF' ... I'm just about to start creating my own after using the Ofsted SEF ... hope my next inspector reads it.

Thanks again xx

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the feedback and well done.

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If you don't mind saying when was your last inspection before this one?

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Great summary and good advice.
    Have you seen these knives for children, great for LO’s to cut up own fruit.

Kiddikutter Children's Safety Knife 9cm | Lakeland

They have to saw to get anywhere but that is a good foundation step as lots of children just press hard and think knives will cut.

Jun 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks floraDora - good point - a lot of children do think exactly that and fail to cut properly. Thanks for the link!

Our last inspection was dec 2014. So 3.5 years ago.

She may not have read our self evaluation at the time but she did take it with her and seemed to like the format.
    I basically condensed the original Ofsted SEF. So had 5 sheets:
    Our setting - description of our layout and ethos
    EY children - age, days they attend and a short synopsis
    Views of those that use our setting and who work with us - parents and other settings - how we obtain and share views etc.
    Leadership and management - our safeguarding, training, performance and how we evaluate
    Outcomes for children - what and how we operate and successes we’ve achieved etc

Hope that’s helpful.

By the way it was interesting this time that for the first time ever we were not quizzed or even monitored changing a nappy, preparing food. Sleeping arrangements, eating and hand washing went unacknowledged. She didn’t check attendance or incident/accident/medication files either. Much more relaxed.

8. Likes BallyH, loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank you for the kind comments - I am very passionate about what I do and I hope that shines through! I am always delighted when colleagues say my sharing has helped them.

Well done!