So, Ofsted are coming next week......
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  21
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    jul 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy So, Ofsted are coming next week......

I'm absolutely terrified. All of a sudden I feel very vulnerable.....my home, my professionalism, as I employ my husband; my livelihood and my pride is depending on this.....

My last inspection was awful....it was soon after I first registered and it was the day after Boxing Day. I had 2 children and promised them that between Christmas and new year, they could just bring in their presents etc. ..... I got a satisfactory. If I get that again....I'm giving up!

I'm following my usual plans so will be doing baking or making a collage as a few of the children are struggling with their shapes so am planing a shape collage. ...

I'd rather have a tooth extracted by a chiropodist!

And....I've lost all my certificates! Obviously put them somewhere safe but no idea where!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Don't panic!! I know it feels scary sometimes but Ofsted are not the enemy.

I have written this blog that you might find useful - Ofsted are coming! - Independent Childminders.

Make sure you can talk about how you have changed things after training - that's more important than showing the certificates.

Keep calm - know your safeguarding - know your children - you'll be fine

3. Likes mookie, FloraDora liked this post
    jul 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you sarah 707. ....I will look at your blog now...and probably again tomorrow. I have Monday. ...Tuesday. ....xxx

5. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I want to say don't panic...but I so understand how you feel...my stomach churns when people tell me about their impending OFSTED inspection... the key is to think carefully about what your priority preparation is.....They will look at your development points from your last inspection...to make sure you have acted on them..so I would make sure you put in your SEF, or you show evidence of what you have done to address these.
    Then read the info Sarah suggests...great advice.

All my fingers are crossed for you.

7. Likes mookie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mookie View Post
    I'm absolutely terrified. All of a sudden I feel very vulnerable.....my home, my professionalism, as I employ my husband; my livelihood and my pride is depending on this..... My last inspection was awful....it was soon after I first registered and it was the day after Boxing Day. I had 2 children and promised them that between Christmas and new year, they could just bring in their presents etc. ..... I got a satisfactory. If I get that again....I'm giving up! I'm following my usual plans so will be doing baking or making a collage as a few of the children are struggling with their shapes so am planing a shape collage. ... I'd rather have a tooth extracted by a chiropodist! And....I've lost all my certificates! Obviously put them somewhere safe but no idea where!
    Aw good luck mookie, I'm dreading mine too!! What age children have you got on the day?
    Best of luck :-) xx

9. Likes mookie liked this post
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The best thing you can do is keep calm. Have a look at the list of things that you need to have in place and go through them and tick them off.

Then when you know that you have all the legal requirements you can spend some time on going through all the other stuff. Remember that its focused on how you teach the children so as you are doing your activity spend lots of time on:

Asking them relevant questions during the activity (and all the way through your inspection)
    Giving them time and expand to answer is important
    Be full of knowledge about the activity, teaching them as you go. Talking about shapes, numbers will also help your Maths areas.
    Be prepared to answer questions about each child if she/he asks...such as what they are getting out of the activity. A 3yr old will be getting something different out of the activity from a 12 month old.

My advice would be to just talk with the children a lot, teach, teach, teach!!! And know where each child is at in their development and what you are doing to further their development

You'll be fine
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

11. Likes FloraDora, mookie, lollipop kid liked this post
    Feb 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I recently had my first inspection and I was a bag of nerves. As soon as she arrived I thought I was going to commit on her. Unfortunately when I vomit I pee myself at the same time so all I keep thinking was I was going to commit and then we would be swimming in a sea of vomit of wee and that's what kept going through my head! Lovely thought for you all lol!

In total honesty I thought it went terrible, lo didn't want to do the activities, just chucked them about and wandered off. However, the inspector liked that I didn't keep bringing them back, I just scrapped the ideas and followed lo's lead. I did lots of mirroring and verbal dialogue, I talk too much when I'm nervous anyway!

Know your child, know your safeguarding and prevent duty as they're hot in this at the moment. Big up your strengths and be constructively critical of your work where needed (not majorly though!) and follow this up with ideas for changes etc. Big up your training and also have a couple of ideas of future training you want to do.

I don't do a lot of planning but I do keep a one page ideas spider web and I keep next steps with it so I can cross reference.

Make sure your register is complete with actual times the children are there rather than contracted hours. Also make sure accident forms are signed, this is something she checked with me.

I have a folder with the children's info in that I have termly reports, contracts, all about me sheets and signed permissions. I use online for everything else.

One thing my inspector really liked is my changed to activities. I use a story set where you thread the food into the hungry caterpillar. It's really tricky as quite right to slide them on so I made a box for the younger children. I stuck a caterpillar picture on and the children posted the food through instead.

These are some of the things that first come to mind. The main thing is to know your children, where there at and their next steps. My inspector was lovely and was aware how nervous I was.

I did a really detailed SEF, she was able to get lots of info from this meaning she didn't have to ask so many questions.

God luck, heaps of hugs winging their way to you xxxx

13. Likes mookie liked this post
    jul 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Aw good luck mookie, I'm dreading mine too!! What age children have you got on the day?
    Best of luck :-) xx
    As it's me an hubby who work together....we have 1 baby of 8 months and 4 or 5 four year olds! Gulp!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

As it's me an hubby who work together....we have 1 baby of 8 months and 4 or 5 four year olds! Gulp!!!!!
    How did it go mookie? :-) Hope you've got your feet up relaxing! xx

jul 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly? It was one of the worse days of my life. It was awful. The inspector upset the children, a parent and myself and was vile. I've just received the report and it's filled with inaccuracies. I won't go into anymore detail as I don't want to get any minders worried about their inspections. I've minded for many years and had lots of inspections and they've all been ok...I've never experienced one like this. 😢😢..

Bet you wish you'd not asked now mumofone! Xxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly? It was one of the worse days of my life. It was awful. The inspector upset the children, a parent and myself and was vile. I've just received the report and it's filled with inaccuracies. I won't go into anymore detail as I don't want to get any minders worried about their inspections. I've minded for many years and had lots of inspections and they've all been ok...I've never experienced one like this. 😢😢..

Bet you wish you'd not asked now mumofone! Xxx
    That's pretty much what I posted after mine! Sorry to hear you had an awful time as well.

I didn't go into great detail as I don't think my inspection was at all typical, so any feedback I could have given wouldn't really have been relevant or helpful.

Did you complain afterwards?

18. Likes mookie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    That's pretty much what I posted after mine! Sorry to hear you had an awful time as well. I didn't go into great detail as I don't think my inspection was at all typical, so any feedback I could have given wouldn't really have been relevant or helpful. Did you complain afterwards?
    Have you been inspected recently the mouse? What happened?
    I hope you're both making formal complaints if it wasn't fair x

jul 12
    Post Thanks / Like

That's pretty much what I posted after mine! Sorry to hear you had an awful time as well.

I didn't go into great detail as I don't think my inspection was at all typical, so any feedback I could have given wouldn't really have been relevant or helpful.

Did you complain afterwards?

I am complaining now and seeking legal advice. Her report was not only wrong but defamatory.

Never happened to me before. Fingers crossed you all get a different inspector! Xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am complaining now and seeking legal advice. Her report was not only wrong but defamatory.

Never happened to me before. Fingers crossed you all get a different inspector! Xx
    If I can help in any way with the complaint please message me x

22. Likes moggy, hectors house liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You need to clear you inbox Mookie x

jul 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. I may need help, just feel very vulnerable at the moment. And I am going to clear my inbox now. Thanks guys xx

jul 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Emptied. Or my email is gayn712@gmail.com. ...

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm really sorry to hear that you had a hard time. Hope you're ok. x

27. Likes mookie liked this post
    jul 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    If I can help in any way with the complaint please message me x
    Sarah....I have prepared a letter of complaint. I think I have covered everything. Thanks for a previous post or blog you wrote, I think I've done it ok.
    Will let you know how it goes. X

29. Likes Mouse, Maza, sarah707 liked this post
    jul 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I sent a letter to Prospects and Ofsted. Prospets have said to deal with ofsted and ofsted had acknowledged it and have assured me they are dealing with it. It still hurts tho. Things she said and even the report has some damning things in it. Just horrid. Feel very down 😔

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast