Best inspection activities for babies
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best inspection activities for babies

...or under twos? I think I would find the older children easy to do stuff with on Inspection day but what about the really young ones? Any advice or tips appreciated :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Sensory, painting, drawing, singing, dancing, story time, playdoh - basically anything you normally do with them :-)

3. Likes BallyH liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I agree Natalou on the day you are inspected activities should just carry on as you would usually do.
    The inspector will ask about the objectives behind the activities they see and will expect an answer linked to the child's next seps or progress, their learning or schema or gaps decided on through previous and ongoing observations and assessments.
    I don't think there is such a thing as a ' best inspection activity'. An inspector may have passed a positive comment about an activity in an inspection, but that's not to say that she would do so in the same activity somewhere else as all the objectives and dynamics will be different : children and their individual uniqueness, the childminders individual style of teaching, the learning environment it takes place in, the reasoning and planning behind the activity being offered.

My best advice is to work towards continual high quality practice, the children will lead and the inspector will soon know if you are doing things differently to usual by their conversation, routine behaviour etc....

5. Likes BallyH liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    I agree Natalou on the day you are inspected activities should just carry on as you would usually do.
    The inspector will ask about the objectives behind the activities they see and will expect an answer linked to the child's next seps or progress, their learning or schema or gaps decided on through previous and ongoing observations and assessments.
    I don't think there is such a thing as a ' best inspection activity'. An inspector may have passed a positive comment about an activity in an inspection, but that's not to say that she would do so in the same activity somewhere else as all the objectives and dynamics will be different : children and their individual uniqueness, the childminders individual style of teaching, the learning environment it takes place in, the reasoning and planning behind the activity being offered.

My best advice is to work towards continual high quality practice, the children will lead and the inspector will soon know if you are doing things differently to usual by their conversation, routine behaviour etc....
    FloraDora you have got it spot on! Do what you normally do with the children but with a little 'twist' to extend their individual learning. Plus she asked me if 'anything was new today?' and I told her the truth and said 'no' and she was pleased and said something along the lines of 'too many settings are trying to impress us with a new planned activity' thinking that the children will be wowed but they aren't as their attention isn't held for very long as the child doesn't know how to play the game, what's expected of them and how to extend the play as it is all new. 'the children let us know' is what she said. Stick with what works and what interests the individual children and then as a group.

7. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

During mine the thirteen month old bashed on the patio doors babbling away, I explained to the inspector it was his way of asking to go outside and that's what we did, he bumbled around the garden in the sand pit, in the water, digging pit, crawling on the grass coming to me for cuddles, all the things he normally does. The inspector never asked for a specific activity and she got to see a very normal day which is how it should be, can't see the point of setting up activities if that's not what you normally do.

9. Likes BallyH, FloraDora liked this post